Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Hunting with an AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/hunting-ar-81452/)

KY1911 01-16-2013 01:13 AM

Why...do I keep hearing from people that "people don't hunt with AR's", "you can't hunt with an AR"??

I disagree myself, I've seen too many posts with deer, coyote..taken with what? Yeah that's right.. an AR...

FullautoUSA 01-16-2013 01:37 AM

If I'm correct the AR is the most common deer rifle in America

Axxe55 01-16-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullautoUSA (Post 1095521)
If I'm correct the AR is the most common deer rifle in America

are you seriously for real, making such an ignorant statement as that?

are you so young as to not know about bolt action and lever action rifles?

you have made some really lame comments and remarks on this forum, but this one has got to be at the top!

KY1911 01-16-2013 01:59 AM

I have to agree Axe...that is a seriously inaccurate statement!!

Tenderribbs 01-16-2013 02:02 AM

. Ain't no way anybody is that brick headed he's kidding right?

Axxe55 01-16-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY1911 (Post 1095580)
I have to agree Axe...that is a seriously inaccurate statement!!

it's not his first one.

the AR manufacturers are trying to expand the market into building AR platformed hunting rifles. many people build an AR with hunting in mind for it's primary usage. IMO, i believe that more people will start using an AR platformed rifle for hunting in the future.

jjfuller1 01-16-2013 02:06 AM

AR's are great hunting rifles.
are they the most common? no, but they do serve a credible hunting purpose.

Tenderribbs 01-16-2013 02:19 AM

I have a buddy in my deer camp that's a ex-navy seal and he always bashed the Ar for one reason or another mainly for accuracy . I took my cheap Del-ton and my H335load and a 50 g nosler and showed him what these Ar's are capable of after I shot a 3 rd group at 100 at .48MOA He brought me his and said make me a load . I loaded him up some 77 gr Hp with some Varget . Now He will take it when he goes on what he calls a walkabout for deer . He's nuts . I think u must be to qualify for the seals . So anyways yea you can kill a deer with a 223 no problem it's just that. Most serious deer hunters don't hunt with them.Peace

BUCKSLAYERR78 01-16-2013 02:28 AM

The .223 would not be very effective on large game such as deer. Not saying it would not kill one but surely larger caliber rifles would be better suited. But it is great for smaller game such as coyote or groundhogs. So yes people can and do hunt with them, but to say its the most used deer weapon has to one of the most foolish things I've ever heard.

Axxe55 01-16-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 1095616)
I have a buddy in my deer camp that's a ex-navy seal and he always bashed the Ar for one reason or another mainly for accuracy . I took my cheap Del-ton and my H335load and a 50 g nosler and showed him what these Ar's are capable of after I shot a 3 rd group at 100 at .48MOA He brought me his and said make me a load . I loaded him up some 77 gr Hp with some Varget . Now He will take it when he goes on what he calls a walkabout for deer . He's nuts . I think u must be to qualify for the seals . So anyways yea you can kill a deer with a 223 no problem it's just that. Most serious deer hunters don't hunt with them.Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUCKSLAYERR78 (Post 1095635)
The .223 would not be very effective on large game such as deer. Not saying it would not kill one but surely larger caliber rifles would be better suited. But it is great for smaller game such as coyote or groundhogs. So yes people can and do hunt with them, but to say its the most used deer weapon has to one of the most foolish things I've ever heard.

i will be the first to say the 223 isn't the best choice for deer hunting. but, there are many different calibers that are available in AR uppers.

just a few i can think of off hand at the moment. 308, 243, 6.8 SPC, ect.,,, there are many different calibers much better than the 223.

some people make statements without knowing what they are talking about. ain't the first time here.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.