Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hunting with an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Hunting with an AR-15

My questions are pretty simple and easy to answer. I want to get an AR, but considering the cost, I need to justify it with a legitimate use. So the questions:

1. What have you hunted with an AR?

2. What else can you hunt with an AR? (I won't be hunting deer with it.)

I live in the Midwest FYI, in case that affects any of the possible game

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My guess is that you'd be limited to varmints, more knowledgeable minds will be along in a moment.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #3

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 54

coyote, rabbits, prairie dog, fox, bobcats (dont miss) squirrel, raccoon, possum are some for the .223, im sure i missed a few hundred other kinds.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't forget you can change uppers allowing you to use many different calibers.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

The .223/ 5.56 mm round is too small to be legal for deer here in VA. If you switch uppers to a caliber larger than .23, it will do.

There are AR style rifles, and AR style rifles. Just looked at one in local shop- must have weighed 10 pounds. LONG, HEAVY bull barrel- would make a heck of a varmint gun.

And Shakespeare said "To thine own self be true." I WANT a NY Strip for dinner, medium, baked potato, fresh asparagus. I NEED food.

So, do you have a NEED or a WANT? And there is not a damn thing wrong with a want.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

I want the gun. Badly. But I do want to use it for more than punching holes at the range. squirrel hunting sounds like a very good use for it! Would it be kind of overkill though for a squirrel and smaller animals? Using it to take care of some of those unwanted nighttime critters we get around here is another good idea. (opossum, raccoon, etc.) I couldn't possibly afford another upper for a long time if I bought this gun Does anybody here actually hunt with their AR?!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I've gone hunting for coyotes with my AR-15 in 5.56mm. Had every intention of killing them when I went too, but those little buggers are sneaky and skittish, so I can not say I have officially been successful hunting with my AR-15.

Now with my long gun I nailed one and flipped it ass over teakettle, but with the AR, not so much.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Panda,

As we assume you are talking about the 5.56/223 AR Rifle.
As Dillinger I have and do hunt coyotes with an AR in the above standard caliber. As well as a ground hog and prairie dogs. The squirrel part listed in the previous posts. I sure hope you do not plan on using it on squirrels for meat! (Food) Because unless they are head shots the meat is gone! LOL!
I have shot game with the AR in other calibers. Coyotes,Pigs, Prarie Dogs and other game with the following: 6.8 SPC - 6.5 Grendel - 458 SOCOM. Which you would only need an additional upper and in the case of the 6.8 and 6.5 a magazine to have a larger caliber weapon. The 458 SOCOM uses the standard AR-15 5.56/223 Magazine. Also deer and pigs with the larger LAR-8 AR Rifle in 308 cal. But it is a separate rifle and not adaptable to the standard AR-15 Receiver. In my opinion even though the 5.56/223 could kill a deer i would not recommend it. A little on the small side for clean instant kills. I know there will be those that mention head shots only. But if you have hunted for sometime that is not always possible. I have had some coyotes go a long way if the 5.56 just did not hit them as I wanted to. Good luck with your decision. The AR-15 Rifle is a fantastic weapon and great to shoot. Not to mention the accessories and all you can get for them. Total Versatility!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #9

Yes, I was referring to the 223/5.56. I can't believe I didn't specify that, totally my bad I would prefer to eat the squirrels, but I guess I could live without. Considering the damage my .17 HMR does to squirrels, I figured 223 would just decimate them. I REALLY want to get into coyote hunting, and I don't currently have a rifle that could fill that position, so if this rifle could do that, I doubt I would need much more convincing

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Panda,
For the biggest part it would make you a good varmint rifle including coyotes. A lot of the outdoor shows hunting coyotes on the channels are using the AR type rifle in 5.56/223. By the way the only reason they have the 223 Remington designation on them regarding their chamber is because people might not recognize the designation 5.56. And as you also know the 5.56 and 223 ammunition is readily available. And much less cost than the other calibers for the AR Rifle platform. I would suggest you get a 1:9 or 1:8 twist barrel when you buy one. That way you will be able to get good varmint type accuracy from the 55 grain range of projectile. I have a Rock River 20" Varmint A-4 Rifle 1:8 Wylde (5.56 Chamber) that when I am having a good day will shoot 1/4 and 1/2 MOA Groups at 100 yards with the 55 Grain Federal BT HP Rounds. But if you are going to be walking and doing a lot of coyote hunting I would recomend a medium weight rifle like the RRA Predator or the Coyote Model. There are other good rifles out there in that style. Just mentioned them so you could go to the website and see what I was referring to. Good Luck with your choice.