Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Huldra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 207 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I have heard Adams Arms pistons handles steel ammo pretty good. Actually, the only malfunctions I know of with their piston system was on the sons of guns "Desert AR" episodes, and that was mostly due to malfunctioning people putting a gun together. I wouldn't get it just to handle the steel ammo, but if you are going to get an add-on piston, Adams Arms seems to be the way to go. Pretty new to manufacturing the whole AR, but I haven't read or heard anything bad from people who bought them. If they don't cost too much, might be worth a try.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #12

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Ya their piston system seems to be one of the better ones, the complete upper is $600 which isn't a terrible price, the barrel is melanited rather than chrome lined, supposedly they have done something different with the BCG to eliminate the "carrier tilt" which causes wear on the upper receiver and is supposedly an issue with piston uppers, however I haven't seen any real testing to prove any of that. I'd like to get their upper as I like what I hear about melanite barrels and I like the cleaner cooler action of the piston system, but then I am dependant on Adams Arms for replacement parts. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #13

Liked 207 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
supposedly they have done something different with the BCG to eliminate the "carrier tilt" which causes wear on the upper receiver and is supposedly an issue with piston uppers, however I haven't seen any real testing to prove any of that.
I think what they did, which is what all of the piston AR companies are starting to do, is keep the carrier full auto and add mass in the front of the carrier just to balance it out. I have seen carriers from different companies, and they all seem to do this. My guess is the heavier carrier is harder to push down. Adams use to just sell a striker key in place of the gas key, and from my understanding, there wasn't really an issue back then, just a few shavings on the semi auto carriers.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin