How to treat a Carbine. . . - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How to treat a Carbine. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The M16 carrier and heavy buffer combo really do wonders. They slow the recoil impulse down noticeably.

Not sure if the clamor ever blew over or not, but about 15 years ago ATF had some conniption fits over guys using M16 carriers/hammers in their rifles. Even though Colt admitted to sending AR15s with M16 carriers in the 70s.

Maybe someone knows what the final decision was?

Perfectly legal
From BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

just my opinion. im not a lawyer:

from my research on what is and is not it seems to be the current circle of thought relies heavily on current BATFE interpretation with only batfe memo's as reference points.

the term "readily able to convert" is subject to a very wide range of interpretation. i wouldnt combine any other M16 part with a bolt carrier as you may cross their unknown line. last thing you wanna do is have a spitting match over possibly regulated NFA items.

the threshold from different opinions seems to be around 50% part ownership of pieces capable of readily converting a weapon. combinations of certain parts like auto sears hammers bolt carriers safeties etc while possessing a AR15 without a tax stamp may or may not land you in hot water.

since there seems to be such a huge grey area relying solely on the opinion of a mid level beuarocrat is a line i would be hesitant to approach.

while a bolt carrier by itself appears to be currently good to go i wouldnt keep a auto hammer sear or safety in my house without a registered M16 or AR15 conversion tax stamp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Colt 16" w/standard carbine length gas tube, H buffer and Specialized Armament enhanced extractor spring.

H-2 buffers are appropriate for full auto guns. H-3 is for supressed guns.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Colt 16" w/standard carbine length gas tube, H buffer and Specialized Armament enhanced extractor spring.

H-2 buffers are appropriate for full auto guns. H-3 is for supressed guns.
I have a carbine length semi-auto thats runs nice w/ a H2. Im actually thinking about throwing a H3 in it to slow it down a little more. A lot of guys run H2s and H3s in their semi autos. Hell, some people have switched over to A5s running much heavier buffers in a slight longer tube (basically a AR10 receiver extension).

Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The heavier (H-2 or H-3) buffer may work just fine in a given rifle, but in my experience the H buffer is all that is needed.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I'd sure look at the extractor and if the spring/insert look deficient go with the BCM upgrade since it's pretty cheap. I'd skip the D-Fender or O-ring.

The H buffer should be fine but since you have the Spikes ST-T2 you might as well try it out, Diggs. Depending on the rifle and ammo you use, I'd suspect the H2 would do fine in a 16" carbine gas length barrel. I'm using an H2 in a 16" midlength with an AR-15 style bolt carrier and don't get shortstroking with Wolf, etc. The brass (err, steel) gets kicked out at least six feet, not dribbling out. My other midlength has an M16 weight carrier with H buffer which seems all right. I need to try the H2 with the M16 carrier just for shins and grits.

If I had a carbine gas length AR I'd be tempted to try out an H3.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The heavier (H-2 or H-3) buffer may work just fine in a given rifle, but in my experience the H buffer is all that is needed.
It may be all thats needed but why settle for an H? The smoother the better. I'm something will make my firearm function better I'm going to use it.

If manufacturers are shipping their 16" middys w/ Hs Id be willing to bet an H2 or H3 would be a better choice for a 16" carbine length GP.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd sure look at the extractor and if the spring/insert look deficient go with the BCM upgrade since it's pretty cheap. I'd skip the D-Fender or O-ring.

The H buffer should be fine but since you have the Spikes ST-T2 you might as well try it out, Diggs. Depending on the rifle and ammo you use, I'd suspect the H2 would do fine in a 16" carbine gas length barrel. I'm using an H2 in a 16" midlength with an AR-15 style bolt carrier and don't get shortstroking with Wolf, etc. The brass (err, steel) gets kicked out at least six feet, not dribbling out. My other midlength has an M16 weight carrier with H buffer which seems all right. I need to try the H2 with the M16 carrier just for shins and grits.

If I had a carbine gas length AR I'd be tempted to try out an H3.
Im about to give a H3 a try in my 14.5 carbine. It currently has a H2.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I run a standard carbne buffer in my BCM 14.5" mid-length. It is the standard to which I hold my other rifles in regards to feel. I tried the Spike's T2 and although it noticibly slowed down the cycle, the recoil was not affected to the point that I'd even consider mixing it up.

My Bushamster Dissipator uses a H (16" carbine) and could probably stand an H2. I'm thinking this rifle will be the same scenario and the barrel is slightly lighter (M4 prof. vs. HBAR). An M16 carrier will also be used (that's all I have. . .

Now if I could decide what to use as a block or sight base?