How to treat a Carbine. . .
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How to treat a Carbine. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default How to treat a Carbine. . .

So we all know that the optimum gas system for a 16" barreled AR is the mid-length system. We also know that the mid-length system is still fairly new and that most of the 16" barrels out there are still ported at carbine length.

To treat this increase in pressure and dwell time there are heavier buffers and springs available. There are also "D-Fender" type extractor upgrades to handle the more violent reaction.

So. . . what is your remedy for a carbine length 16" barrel???

H2 or H3 buffers?

Heavier springs?

Is there something I missed? The reason I ask is because I just obtained a barrel of this nature and it may be put into circulation rather than placed upon a "For Sale" rifle, as I originally thought.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Heavier buffer

Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I currently have a few 16", and all have Enidines in them. They really work.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I currently have a few 16", and all have Enidines in them. They really work.
Explain. Im not hip to that product (or maybe just the term)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Heavier buffer
That was listed in the original post. . . .

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Explain. Im not hip to that product (or maybe just the term)?

That was listed in the original post. . . .
Yes w/ question marks as if you were asking if a hevier buffer would help smooth things out. Yes a heavier buffer would help your AR run better. Youll have to test which buffer works best for your firearm. To heavy and it wont cycle.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #6

An enindine is a hydraulic buffer.....you can find them at Brownells. I bought one for my build but of course that is still in the process. M14's Rock is a pretty knowlegable cat and I would trust his assessment. Its just a hydraulic piston that is compressed by recoil in the shape of a buffer and costs 95$. There are cheaper alternatives but this is suppose to be the CATS MEOW.

Look at my last post....."AR BUILD important notes to stupid" and I have a pic of it with my current build.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Last edited by 556plinker; 04-14-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: add on

Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I changed out my 16" S&W's stock Carbine Buffer for a Spikes ST-T2 Heavy buffer. Noticeably smoother recoil impulse now, brass not as dented up, and ejection pattern is now around 3-4 o'clock position.
I've been planning on trying a heavier M16 carrier to see if it smooths it out even more.
I also want to try a H2 or H3 buffer as well to compare against the spikes.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

depends on the gas tube and porting. current carbine gas tubes reduce the pressure for the standard buffer to function. buffer choice also depends on your buffer tube choice. mixing rifle and carbine tubes and buffers with carbine gas tubes can make for wierd results.

the midlength ive got is the 458 socom and it works well. but that doesnt really apply to 5.56.

your buffer choice will hinge more on what size buffer tube your going to use. either rifle or carbine. the more weight you put in the carrier and buffer the closer you may get to not enough ooomph to cycle. dont forget buffer springs also come in rifle and carbine length and vary in weights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-14-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I changed out my 16" S&W's stock Carbine Buffer for a Spikes ST-T2 Heavy buffer. Noticeably smoother recoil impulse now, brass not as dented up, and ejection pattern is now around 3-4 o'clock position.
I've been planning on trying a heavier M16 carrier to see if it smooths it out even more.
I also want to try a H2 or H3 buffer as well to compare against the spikes.
Right on. I like when guys post up some useful results. I have a Spike's T2 that's been on the shelf for several months, looks like I'll be testing it with this build along with a standard H2 that I bought for my Bushmaster Dissy.

OK, I've seen the hydraulic buffers, but I think that's headed in a different direction than I want to go with this rifle. It may be a seller, but it's gonna get shot and compared to others first. If it has "the feel" then it'll stay and another quality AR will be up on the "For Sale" list.

I think I'm gonna go for a H3 as well, just to throw in here and there, maybe it'll find a home?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The M16 carrier and heavy buffer combo really do wonders. They slow the recoil impulse down noticeably.

Not sure if the clamor ever blew over or not, but about 15 years ago ATF had some conniption fits over guys using M16 carriers/hammers in their rifles. Even though Colt admitted to sending AR15s with M16 carriers in the 70s.

Maybe someone knows what the final decision was?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."