How Many Is Enough
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How Many Is Enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How Many Is Enough

I received the latest TNW upper and lower from Centerfire Systems on Friday. This will bring the count to 11. Eight in my safes, and two in BOB stashes. AR 15's alone. Not counting the two H&K 91's, a CETME I built from a parts kit. Six AK-47's home built from parts kits and home bent receiver flats. A couple of M1 Garands. Two M1A's. A Barrett M82 A2, a 20mm single shot bolt action, and sundry other bolt actions, including Mausers, Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages. 3 single shot Sharps...basically, 40 years worth of collecting, trading and building. Not to mention working my butt off to pay off credit cards after charging the freakin things up to buy gun stuff.

The question is...when is enough enough? I'm ready to divorce myself...Do I need counciling or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Once you get enough to arm the entire State of Texas, I think that would be enough! Then you could start stockpiling ammo!!

Rock On !!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm a believer that every gun should fill a particular purpose. And then I wouldn't ever purchase more than one firearm for a particular purpose.

In rifles, for example, I don't see a reason for more than one 5.56 16" AR. But I could definitely see reasons for other chamberings, and as many rifles as there are useful calibers.

Add to that one more thing...I have never bought gun stuff on credit. If I don't have the actual money in my hand I don't buy it.

On the other side, firearms of all sorts are a better place for savings than GOLD!!!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
On the other side, firearms of all sorts are a better place for savings than GOLD!!!
Really....?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

lon,

WROL (without rule of law), such as natural disaster or a total breakdown of society, will destroy the regular market forces of money and metals.

Water, food, knives, clothing, firearms...anything that has utilitarian value...will ALL be more valuable than gold coins, gold bars, or gold certificates.

But, no, my 1911 has NOT gone up 20% in value over the last year like gold has. I'd still rather have a 1911 today than $800 in gold.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The flaw in your reasoning Chris is that you have neglected the "Rule of Two's".

Two is one.
One is none.

Always count on an item breaking or wearing out. Gotta have two of everything useful. Once that is achieved, I switch to the "Rule of Divisible by Two". Makes life simpler.

I agree with you on the gold. As long as there is an infrastructure where gold has value it is fine. But if that infrastructure crumbles, utilitarian objects become more useful/valuable. And Axe will be worth a hundred times it's weight in gold at that point.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 12-05-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The flaw in your reasoning Chris is that you have neglected the "Rule of Two's".

Two is one.
One is none.

Always count on an item breaking or wearing out. Gotta have two of everything useful. Once that is achieved, I switch to the "Rule of Divisible by Two". Makes life simpler.

I agree with you on the gold. As long as there is an infrastructure where gold has value it is fine. But if that infrastructure crumbles, utilitarian objects become more useful/valuable. And Axe will be worth a hundred times it's weight in gold at that point.
Then I know what I'm gonna do....I'm gonna build a golden axe, then I'll be covered from both angles.

BTW, Chris, I was just challenging you a little bit and your response was great, just like all your posts. Always well thought-out and well-written.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im turning to the idea of quality over quantity as of late. Give me a top tier AR, handgun with all the top shelf gear, spare parts and plenty of ammo and Im happy. All I need is a primary and secondary weapon. That and a dedicated .22 so shooting doesnt run me into the ground after spending $30 in gas just to get to the range and back.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

No doubt on the ammo. I've been stashing it back big time for the past two years. Every time one of my suppliers has a sale, I stock up and stash away. CFS has 7.63x39's and .223's for $199 a thousand shipped. Ordered 5 each last week. I had bought a case each of it a while back and tested it. Good stuff. No misfires and good, consistent velocities. Can't ask for much more than that for the price. I see primers leveling out finally, so I'm looking for a good buy on small and large rifle there. I'm still in the process of getting accustomed to steel case stuff. Well, off to the shop to make some .223 jackets out of .22lr cases. Love that swaging!!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Then I know what I'm gonna do....I'm gonna build a golden axe, then I'll be covered from both angles.

BTW, Chris, I was just challenging you a little bit and your response was great, just like all your posts. Always well thought-out and well-written.
Joanie...send me some pics of that axe when you get it cast.