How to Lube your AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How to Lube your AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default How to Lube your AR-15

I have been seeing a lot of builds going on lately and I know we have also had a bunch of people asking about buying vs building.

The AR is an easy platform to take care of but, for a person that is new to the AR platform it can look like a lot to take care of.

Here we are going to go over how to lube your ar so you get the best lube possiable and get it all in the right spots.

I use a combo of Grease and Oil. I have and love Wilson Combat Moly Lube for my grease and Mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic motor oil. It goes on easy and stay put.

First area we are going to talk about is the bolt. I put a drop of oil on the Gas rings and use my finger to work it in and then work it on to the back of the bolt. You can see where in the picture below.

Next we will go over the bolt carrier. the bolt carrier has 5 spots I lube with a touch of grease. You will be able to see them on your because they will shot some wear from the bolt cycling. I have pointed them out in the picture below. I use grease here because this is a high friction area that needs all the lube it can get as it is a STEEL bolt carrier riding on and in an aluminum upper.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 998 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Very nice write up, cpttango30! And helpful to all of us, not just the new folks.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another great contribution. Sticky, please!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #4

Default lube

After 4 or 5 shoots I take brake cleaner and blast the trigger group clean, let it dry and them reapply oil. Seems to wash all the grit out. I generally put the cam pin back in WET and give the entire bolt a good coat and then wipe if off gently so its fairly oily but not dripping. The carrier just gets a good wipe down as well leaving a fair amoujnt of oil on the bottom. Seems to work for me and I'm not getting my shooting glasses splattered with oil. NICE POST TANGO!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Where did you pick up the moly lube? I did a quick google search but only found some forums discussing it with no links to the actual product.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #6

spitty I got it at Midwausa.com about a year ago. Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube Gun Grease 10cc Syringe - MidwayUSA

Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I thought you were supposed to just store your AR in a vat of used motor oil? Pretty sure that's what the Air Force does with theirs.

Nice writeup with pictures, very helpful. Thanks!

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I thought you were supposed to just store your AR in a vat of used motor oil? Pretty sure that's what the Air Force does with theirs.

Nice writeup with pictures, very helpful. Thanks!
I didnt know the AirForce had weapons w/o wings attached. Nevermind, yes I did because they constantly had NDs while on patrol w/ us. They need to keep them in those vats

Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #9

do they still make lubriplate grease? used this on my m1 and my m14, worked great seems these AR type weapons love to run wet
ymmas

Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #10

I have lubed mine like this since I got it and she runs fine. I ran 5 mags through it as fast as I could slap the trigger and she never hiccuped once. I don't like the run wet type of thinking. It is good if you are shooing an A1 with mag after mag of full auto fire.

For my kind of shooting this method works great and you don't end up with a sloppy mess of a gun.