How long can direct impingement run? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How long can direct impingement run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I've never personally ran a test but I heard here on this forum that the military recently ran over 10,000 rounds through an m4 with no cleaning what so ever and no malfunctions. Finally had a failure to feed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I don't think any of us here can afford enough ammo to choke up any rifle that is properly built.
at the current prices of 223 ammo in my area, 10,000 rounds divided by 20 round boxes is 500 boxes at $13.00 a box equals $6500. too rich for my blood to see how long it takes to malfuction.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I don't think any of us here can afford enough ammo to choke up any rifle that is properly built.
I highlighted the key words in that sentence. There are companies like Colt, BCM, and DD that will build a masterpeice in every rifle, and there are those that will crank out the guns as fast as they can. I believe the biggest factor is properly installing and assembling the gas system. Starting with making sure the gas block is perfectly centered, to making sure the barrel nut is also perfectly centered, to proper staking of the gas key. If you take the bolt out, and just slide the carrier straight up into the receiver, it should be really difficult to tell when the gas tube contacts the key. All of this will mean the difference whether you spend time on the range shooting or 'effing with your AR.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #13

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Saw a utube video where they ran an m4 on rapid fire mode changing mags fast as possible. MOE handguards caught on fire, rifle was dropped into a puddle to quench handguards. Another mag and rifle will still fire! Enough said on reliability.

Unless it's being belt fed you probably can't kill it as long as the ammo is any good. Ammo for above video is steel cased Russian! Rifle was Spikes Tactical carbine. Lesson here, Spikes builds good s$%&*t!

I do agree wholeheartedly with the statement above. Why not clean it? You spent a bunch of money on the gun, why not keep it clean? Why f$%&&*k it up?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cwh4IxXSc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DS6c wh4IxXSc

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-17-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Saw a utube video where they ran an m4 on rapid fire mode changing mags fast as possible. MOE handguards caught on fire, rifle was dropped into a puddle to quench handguards. Another mag and rifle will still fire! Enough said on reliability.

Unless it's being belt fed you probably can't kill it as long as the ammo is any good. Ammo for above video is steel cased Russian! Rifle was Spikes Tactical carbine. Lesson here, Spikes builds good s$%&*t!

I do agree wholeheartedly with the statement above. Why not clean it? You spent a bunch of money on the gun, why not keep it clean? Why f$%&&*k it up?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6cwh4IxXSc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DS6c wh4IxXSc
just because you can run 10K or 40K of ammo through your AR without cleaning it, why would someone want to.

and i agree, the better an AR is built using quality products will more than likely go longer before it needed attention from not being cleaned and oiled.

even if you dropped the number down to say 5K rounds before it became an issue from not cleaning, that is probably more than most will shoot in a year anyways.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
just because you can run 10K or 40K of ammo through your AR without cleaning it, why would someone want to.

and i agree, the better an AR is built using quality products will more than likely go longer before it needed attention from not being cleaned and oiled.

even if you dropped the number down to say 5K rounds before it became an issue from not cleaning, that is probably more than most will shoot in a year anyways.
You should be able to spend a day at the range without stopping in the middle to correct malfunctions on a new rifle if you give it some lube in the beginning, regardless of how much ammo you are running through it. I have bumpfired over 1000 rounds in a single day (compare to troops engaged in a prolonged firefight with a lot of rounds on full auto), and no malfunctions with steel ammo. And I see the guy next to me firing a couple of mags with high dollar ammo and having to perform remedial action. Medium priced parts installed correctly can make an AR perform like a champ, and parts just slapped together can cause the owner to spend the day cursing Gene Stoner's entire bloodline.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

It will run until it quits . Last year we ran over 8000+ rounds thru one " the Red Headed step child rifle" one of my personal rifles . PSA factory built . Never cleaned , only lubed every outting . Now keep in mind this was over the winter, spring and summer . We ran all kinds of .223/ 5.56 ammo that was available. Friends were invited to come shoot it as long as they brought ammo . Thats how we did this without having a stupid overhead cost . Zero failures , I would say probably 5000+ of these rounds were steel cased russian ammo . Most of the average folks will run out of ammo long before it quits .
The Lucky gunner thing I wasnt impressed with . They used BM rifles , non chrome lined chamber or barrels . They had large amount of throat erosion with the Bimetal bullets because of not being chrome lined . Call it what you will, but when you start with something that wasnt made for heavy use or the use of Bimetal bullets what do you expect ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This