Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How do you verify?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5106 Times on 2656 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Lots of lower end makers only locktite or just torque without staking. Under heavy use the bcg can get hot enough to melt red locktite and the violent stress of heavy use and heat will loosen a simple torqueing. Thats why people building to last look for properly staked carriers.

All it takes to stake a carrier is a center punch and a hammer. Bcg assemblers have staking machines that make it fast and easy.

One of the big important features often over looked is the chromed inside of the bcg where the bolt sits. If thats not chromed its going to clog up under heavy use and cause fail to go into battery issues. Cheap bcgs from the likes of dpms and bushmaster also skip this step to save on costs.

Nonchrome nonstaked isnt an issue for range plinkers who arent going to fire hundreds to thousands of rounds or more per range session.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

When I was in basic training my M16 would only fire as a single shot. I had to pull back on the charging handle after each shot. It cost me being able to qualify the first time around. When I took it to the armoror he pulled the bolt carrier group. The bolts were not staked and were really loose. He tightened them up and staked them while I was standing there. He gave me back the rifle. I qualified expert. But didnt get credit for it because I boloed the first time. Very educational experience.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Keeps the screws tight that secure the gas key. You get short stroking if the key loosens. If it gets real bad the key and gas tube can self destruct upon impact.
More than likely though, you will just end up with what basically amounts to a bolt action rifle, with a little lower velocity because the gas that would have gone into cycling your bcg to lock your hammer to the rear is just going out the side of your gas key. Not dangerous most of the time, but aggravating as hell. When I was in BNCOC in 2006, the cadre disabled the gas system of our M16's so we had to pull the charging handle back every time, and Soldiers who were used to qualifying sharpshooter and expert every time were ending up barely qualifying or bolo. One of our instructors was a POW in 2003, and he said that because of the sand and not being fielded cleaning kits, that is what happened to them. Their weapons wouldn't cycle, and they had to manually charge the weapon each round.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin