How do you clean...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How do you clean...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default How do you clean...

A gas tube?... Colt AR-15, DI.

Thanks in advance.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Usually they aren't cleaned. They do however, make long pipe cleaners that will fit the gas tube.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

what he said ^^^

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

ive been running a cmmg .22 conversion a lot. I just read here that can foul the gas tube.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
ive been running a cmmg .22 conversion a lot. I just read here that can foul the gas tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
A gas tube?... Colt AR-15, DI.

Thanks in advance.
The short answer: You don't.

After shooting your .22 conversion, the next round or two of your AR's designed ammo will clean it out.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Ive never cleaned one to be honest ive seen them get bent from a soldier trying to pry at the end that extends into the reciever overcleaning but they generally dont fail or need any cleaning.

Gas pistons need occasional cleaning gastubes dont.

If you run enough 22lr to lead up a gastube you cant clean them without some extremely toxic liquids and metals. Just keep a spare on hand they are only 10$ or so. A piper cleaner isnt going to remove annealed on lead deposits.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I always give mine a shot of brake cleaner after going out and shooting a metric **** ton of .22lr . thats about as good as it gets if I dont have the .223 bolt or ammo with me to clean it out

Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I always give mine a shot of brake cleaner after going out and shooting a metric **** ton of .22lr . thats about as good as it gets if I dont have the .223 bolt or ammo with me to clean it out
I use brake cleaner in my gas tube irregardless of what I shoot. Just make sure you run a patch with a minute amount of lube through the barrel immediately afterwards.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5817 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 5288

A little Squirt of "Gun Scrubber" is all I use.

And even that probably isn't necessaery, but it gives me the warm fuzzies!

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

Mosin,

First of all like JonM advised, I have been in the AR industry for years as well as the military and law enforcement. I have never cleaned a Gas Tube. They are cheap so if I ever needed to work on one I would simply buy a new one. They do make items that will clean them but I would never recommend cleaning them while they are installed on the rifle even if I thought I needed to clean one?????
The reason is you would have to clean them from the rear in the Receiver and any carbon or debris that would be in the tube could be loosened and block or obstruct the gas port in the barrel or internal front sight opening.
So with that said, I would like to share some advise. First of all do not clean the gas tube and certainly never use Q-Tips to clean inside the Carrier Key. If you feel like you have to clean the inside of the Carrier Key use a Pipe Cleaner! I have had rifles come in on occasion that would no longer function with seemingly no reason! It was a piece of cotton from the Q-Tip that had came off the Q-Tip during cleaning and was unnoticed. When the gun is fired it burns the cotton in the Carrier Key and turns it jet black. So it can not be easily seen down in the Carrier Key Gas Tube Hole.
And finally! Always clean the AR rifle bore with the Front Sight in the straight up position (Or Sight on Top). By cleaning it upside down and the fact while you are pushing a wet patch with solvent or bore cleaner down the barrel you are first of all creating a hydraulic type situation like priming a pump. With the sight down you are pushing solvent right down in the gas port opening with the hydraulic action as well as our old friend Mr. Gravity. With the solvent in the gas tube or gas port it can easily create carbon build up as the fuel (Solvent) ignites from the heat of the round being fired. At that point it is like a blast furnace inside the Gas Tube!
I have an AR that has had an estimate of 25,000+ rounds and has been rebarreled "obviously" that I still have the original gas tube on it and it has never been cleaned. *By the way good Gas Tubes are Stainless Steal.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy