Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How do I know what size picatinny rail fits on my ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

So wat are the pro's and con's between the two?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #22

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

With the type of shooting I do, none. In fact the same goes for rails, I use the MOE handguards over rails. If you're not a precision shooter buying precision ammo or reloads then you won't see much difference.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #23

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nowadays for practical type shooting people are looking at 11"+ handguards to get their support handsfurther up front, closer to the muzzle to help control the muzzle and speed up transitions.
Tubes are usually lighter than quad rails, thinner (easier to grip in the web of you hand, but also heat up faster). Quad rails are usually heavier, but have acres of space you can hand a metric sh*ton of accessories should you find the need.

You will probably need a low profile gas block to fit one.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Free floated rails and handguards allow the barrel to stay free floated. If your gun comes with free floated handguards, you will want to replace with free floated rails. If your gun comes with drop in handguards, replace with drop in rails. Free floating is an accuracy thing. Free floated barrels are more accurate. However, if your rifle does not come set up free floated, then the accuracy gains from converting are too small to be worth the cost of converting everything over. The ar platform was designed to be a combat rifle and it excels as one. It was never intended to be a benchrest rifle. If you dont have free floated handguards/rails and demand more than average for the platform accuracy (which is pretty damn good if you do your part), then you would be further ahead to handload than to try to convert to free floated.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

I personally like free floats myself I own 2 and I have another on the way . its a personal feel thing for me I like a small round, longer ,hand guard as they just feel better in my big hands better , MOEs are ok I own a few of those also but they dont feel as good in my hand either but at 1/4 of the price of F/F they feel better than the bulky stock handguards . here is another scenerio if your going to put gadgets like lasers on one they can move around on the drop ins they wont move on the F/F , now if its just a flash light on a MOE thats all fine and will work perfectly . My newest in the works is going to be a 9" F/F with the front FSP which I will have to remove and put back on . its a PITA but I do like using the factory FSPs for irons. The Alum F/F handguards do get hot without gloves if you run 300 rds or so thru it pretty quickly so keep that in mind . Im hoping the new one I have planned wont get as hot as my Troys as it has more cutouts and more air flow and should stay a little bit cooler .

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #26

the main thing I'm trying to do is get my hand away from that hot barrels, it's the 1 thing I noticed that keeps bothering me every time I'm at the range. Id also like to get in some 3gun eventually, from wat ive seen the set up im visualizing in my head ( scope on top and iron or red dot sights at a 45 degree angle , adj 4grip ) should work with the drop in rail. I also like the rifle to still be a shtf gun as well. Thoughts guys?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I personally like free floats myself I own 2 and I have another on the way . its a personal feel thing for me I like a small round, longer ,hand guard as they just feel better in my big hands better , MOEs are ok I own a few of those also but they dont feel as good in my hand either but at 1/4 of the price of F/F they feel better than the bulky stock handguards . here is another scenerio if your going to put gadgets like lasers on one they can move around on the drop ins they wont move on the F/F , now if its just a flash light on a MOE thats all fine and will work perfectly . My newest in the works is going to be a 9" F/F with the front FSP which I will have to remove and put back on . its a PITA but I do like using the factory FSPs for irons. The Alum F/F handguards do get hot without gloves if you run 300 rds or so thru it pretty quickly so keep that in mind . Im hoping the new one I have planned wont get as hot as my Troys as it has more cutouts and more air flow and should stay a little bit cooler .

Ya, that's alot of work...and what if it does fit after removing your fsb...
Doh!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed1212 View Post
the main thing I'm trying to do is get my hand away from that hot barrels, it's the 1 thing I noticed that keeps bothering me every time I'm at the range. Id also like to get in some 3gun eventually, from wat ive seen the set up im visualizing in my head ( scope on top and iron or red dot sights at a 45 degree angle , adj 4grip ) should work with the drop in rail. I also like the rifle to still be a shtf gun as well. Thoughts guys?
LW are gonna heat up fast, if you are gaming, you are probably wearing gloves anyways. If you are gaming your will probably have a couple different setups. Don't try and use a 3g gun for defense work, your trigger will probably be too light for hd/sd work.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #29

So have done my up grade to my ar . Went with the rail suggested early, n I have to say " I like ".

forumrunner_20121011_131946.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121011_131946.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	63728

Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #30

FOCUS Daniel-san FOCUS >.<

ZeusEcho Likes This