How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
^^^Yeah, +1

Just wondering....could you imagine a situation where it would be "on the grid"?
If you anodized it and had it numbered and a brand name and logo stamped on it. I just recommend don't put anything that could be linked to you on it, such as your birthdate,phone #, DEROS, or BASD. A good example of what not to do would be Tutone Arms, ser # 8675309 and your name happened to be Tommy.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been a machinist for about 15 years and a nc programmer for over 8 years so if you ever have a question shoot me one. It would be better off made on a mill that way you can better hold the tolerances. I also have access to a few mills. I have the blue prints and have always wanted to machine my own. Maybe one of these days

Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #23

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
I have been a machinist for about 15 years and a nc programmer for over 8 years so if you ever have a question shoot me one. It would be better off made on a mill that way you can better hold the tolerances. I also have access to a few mills. I have the blue prints and have always wanted to machine my own. Maybe one of these days
The original 80%'ers had the fire control already milled and all the person had to do was drill a few holes and tap the buffer tube hole and he was done. Now you have to drill out the fire control area, but with the milling adapter, not a lot of skill or tools are required, just a lot of patience on your part and a decent drill press. I have seen various lowers through the years, and not all AR's (or M16's for that matter) have the same tolerances.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Darth AkSarBen Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

If you know someone who has milling machines and is a machinist by trade, is it sill legal to have them do some "custom" milling for you? The problems are that if you are just building 1 then the price of jigs and tooling make it questionable (except for the 0 knowledge out there) to finish just one. Find someone that has jigs and have them "help" you for a fee and then it may be more cost effective.

One other thing... In Michigan I sold an AR-15 I had made that was 5.56 x 45 NATO to a guy that is local and has a CPL. No paperwork other than "cash" transacted, and as such I have since fogrotten exactly who that guy was that I sold it to

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Last edited by Darth AkSarBen; 05-18-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #25
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7801 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 16491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
If you know someone who has milling machines and is a machinist by trade, is it sill legal to have them do some "custom" milling for you?
Absolutely. The machinist finishing the receiver would be creating a firearm. If he is not licensed to create firearms for sale, he has committed a crime.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #26
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I had made that was 5.56 x 45 NATO to a guy that is local and has a CPL.
If it "was made" by a licensed manufacturer, no crime was committed. If it "was made" for you by an unlicensed manufacturer, crimes were committed by the manufacturer transferring the weapon to you and again by you when transferring the weapon to the purchaser.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #27

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

image.jpg

Two to five hours depending on how sharp your bits are,also the first one takes the longest because you want to be right.after that they get easier and faster.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Last edited by rifleman1; 05-18-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #28

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
If it "was made" by a licensed manufacturer, no crime was committed. If it "was made" for you by an unlicensed manufacturer, crimes were committed by the manufacturer transferring the weapon to you and again by you when transferring the weapon to the purchaser.

Nope, regular Del Ton lower and upper that I built piece by piece. The lower was bought at a local GS with me filling out the 4473. So, no, not something made for me, but bought through regular channels. Thing is, if one acquires a rifle "as such" with cash, and there is not a lot of record keeping, does not that make the rifle subject to being hard to find, even if it was a registered sn at the onset?

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 05-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #29
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Nope, regular Del Ton lower and upper that I built piece by piece. The lower was bought at a local GS with me filling out the 4473. So, no, not something made for me, but bought through regular channels. Thing is, if one acquires a rifle "as such" with cash, and there is not a lot of record keeping, does not that make the rifle subject to being hard to find, even if it was a registered sn at the onset?
In that case, the burden of proof is on the government. You are innocent until proven guilty.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #30

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Yes, but at the same time, the Serial # starts and ends with you. Which could conceivably cause problems for you, if something were to go wrong.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.