How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexasGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,365
Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower? I was thinking about getting one to build another AR, but was not sure if I would be able to finish it. Any help would be appreciated.

__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
TexasGunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexasGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,365
Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill
Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!
__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
TexasGunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!
Heh, I looked into it myself. I spent endless hours reading. After you bought the jigs, ruined a couple 80%ers, broke some drill bits and the rest of the crap that would occur, you could have probably bought a DD full unit. Besides, if Quen hasn't done it, I wouldn't even attempt it.
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenderribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.
Educate me on " broaching a mag well Quinton . I have never messed with an 80% lower .
__________________
Tenderribbs is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

The magwell isn't hollowed out and needs machining to remove the metal.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,548
Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

Default

I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Alpinet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 48
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.
How much did you pay ?
__________________
Alpinet6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,548
Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

Default

$100 to my door. They are backordered, no set date for delivery....

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Difficult question!!!! ARIZ Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 28 05-27-2014 06:08 PM
How difficult is it for someone in WV to conceal carry? DerickVonD Legal and Activism 2 12-15-2012 10:44 PM
Is it difficult to put a new stock on a 22.magnum? ineverFTF .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 7 07-04-2012 06:21 AM
Difficult preban mags Vincine Glock Forum 3 04-04-2012 09:31 PM
How difficult is it to sell a handgun? crackshot General Handgun Discussion 9 10-31-2011 05:24 PM