How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower? I was thinking about getting one to build another AR, but was not sure if I would be able to finish it. Any help would be appreciated.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill
Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!
Heh, I looked into it myself. I spent endless hours reading. After you bought the jigs, ruined a couple 80%ers, broke some drill bits and the rest of the crap that would occur, you could have probably bought a DD full unit. Besides, if Quen hasn't done it, I wouldn't even attempt it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.
Educate me on " broaching a mag well Quinton . I have never messed with an 80% lower .

Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

The magwell isn't hollowed out and needs machining to remove the metal.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #8

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.
How much did you pay ?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

$100 to my door. They are backordered, no set date for delivery....