Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-difficult-finish-80-lower-83276/)

TexasGunner 02-03-2013 03:11 PM

How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower?

How difficult is it to finish an 80% lower? I was thinking about getting one to build another AR, but was not sure if I would be able to finish it. Any help would be appreciated.

GeneralPatton 02-03-2013 03:22 PM

There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill

TexasGunner 02-03-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
There are several threads on it already. But you'd spend an eternity and be lucky to get it done well enough to function. I've heard of some using dremel tools but they never look all to well and most times have poor function. Some use a drill press experience some success, most need a mill

Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!

Quentin 02-03-2013 06:56 PM

Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.

GeneralPatton 02-03-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGunner (Post 1122382)
Thank you. I don't own a mill and don't want a half assed gun so I won't go that route!

Heh, I looked into it myself. I spent endless hours reading. After you bought the jigs, ruined a couple 80%ers, broke some drill bits and the rest of the crap that would occur, you could have probably bought a DD full unit. Besides, if Quen hasn't done it, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Tenderribbs 02-03-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
Yeah mine is still a paperweight for now. I need to broach the magwell and finish the fire control group cavity. Don't have the tools I used to and you DO have to finish it yourself. I hang on to it because you never know, also it was very cheap and is very cool - an old Gen 1 Sun Devil 80% lower with carbine stock kit, all camo'ed. Years ago a manufacturer used it to display uppers.

Educate me on " broaching a mag well Quinton . I have never messed with an 80% lower .

Quentin 02-03-2013 08:44 PM

The magwell isn't hollowed out and needs machining to remove the metal.

clr8ter 02-03-2013 10:00 PM

I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.

Alpinet6 02-04-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter
I recently ordered an 80% from Ares Armor. Magwell is finished, all tapping done, and it's anodized. It needs the fire control pockets milled, and 3 holes drilled, I think. I have access to a bridgeport W/DRO, (hopefully, no jig will be needed) and a lot of skilled people, and a little machining experience myself. I consider myself to be barely capable of finishing this project.

How much did you pay ?

clr8ter 02-04-2013 10:10 AM

$100 to my door. They are backordered, no set date for delivery....