how did I do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > how did I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default how did I do?

forumrunner_20120430_144437.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144208.jpg

500 dollars it is a little beat up but not bad I think... Was it a deal? My supervisor sold it because he wants to buy a flat top.... I am completely new to this but I wanted it... I will be asking questions and searching a lot most likely... Thank you guys for the feedback on my earlier post!

forumrunner_20120430_144243.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144320.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144413.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120430_144437.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	44694

forumrunner_20120430_144508.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144536.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144606.jpg

forumrunner_20120430_144640.jpg

Rain, snow or sleet.... Mud, sand and dirt.... My GLOCK will work ;)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks fine to me. Just minor cosmetics. My RRA had a few scratches when I bought it but they don't bother me none

Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

An A2 for $500, as long as it works you did all right. Let us know how you like it!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it ain't scratched and dinged, it ain't being played with!!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

round count?

have your had the headspace checked?

did you check out the bore?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ok what brand is it and how old. Sounds like ok price.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
round count?

have your had the headspace checked?

did you check out the bore?
The round count I am not sure of, I am sure it is high in the 1,000's it was shot often. To be honest I am not sure what the headspace is? I do look at the bore and it is fine, Other then the scratches the gun was clean and well taken cared of, The gentleman I bought it from took care of his guns like I do.

He did tell me that the metal mag that came with the ar15 did not work well, It double feed often but he also gave me 2 pmags and told me they never give him a problem. I was not in the market for an ar15 and do not know a thing about them but will learn. One of my x coworkers was going to buy it for $600 but did not come through so my supervisor came in this morning and told me $500 and it is yours.... I just like deal or what seems like a deal. I will take it out Thursday or Sunday...

Worst thing that may happen is I do not like it and flip it maybe loose some money but hey thing looks so frigin kool.... oh it is a Rock River

Rain, snow or sleet.... Mud, sand and dirt.... My GLOCK will work ;)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
The round count I am not sure of, I am sure it is high in the 1,000's it was shot often. To be honest I am not sure what the headspace is? I do look at the bore and it is fine, Other then the scratches the gun was clean and well taken cared of, The gentleman I bought it from took care of his guns like I do.

He did tell me that the metal mag that came with the ar15 did not work well, It double feed often but he also gave me 2 pmags and told me they never give him a problem. I was not in the market for an ar15 and do not know a thing about them but will learn. One of my x coworkers was going to buy it for $600 but did not come through so my supervisor came in this morning and told me $500 and it is yours.... I just like deal or what seems like a deal. I will take it out Thursday or Sunday...

Worst thing that may happen is I do not like it and flip it maybe loose some money but hey thing looks so frigin kool.... oh it is a Rock River
Oddly, I'd be more prone to buy an AR in the condition yours is in with the dings and dangs of usage, and a decent to high round count than a shiny safe queen that doesn't display usage. Reason being, a gun that works reliably that a shooter owns? He's going to shoot it.
An unmarred lightly used firearm from a shooter tells me he has had issues with it, and that the firearm seems to be difficult and having issues.
A round count in the thousands isn't done to a POS firearm. And Rock River isn't a bottom feeder. I personally, based on what you've said, think you got a very solid deal.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post

Headspacing your chamber measures the throat. If there is too much throat erosion (especially from high round count guns with non lined chambers) it could lead to dangerous shooting conditions. If you are unsure, take it to any good gunsmith and they can check it for you. Takes less than a minute, they may even do it for free.

You might want to visually inspect your bolt (look for wear and cracks), and then I'd load it up and shoot it.

take off the scope and shoot it with irons! If she's a shooter, get some new springs (extractor spring and buffer spring) and call it a day!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #10

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Thats one of the early ones , looks like a low serial number also , Nice score !!!!