You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

how to align your gasblock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
. . . .
i prefer not dimpling the barrel as a slight misdrill can easily change the orientation of the block. drill bit chatter is a real issue on a round hardened steel barrel. You have to have a proper jig and drill press to drill the dimples correctly.
I agree with your statement, that said (probably over thinking) does the gas block ever slide from recoil because the set screw can't get a good hold.

I ass u me that if it was a problem there would have been corrective action somewhere along the line.
McX358 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #22

Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I would go even one step more, if possible and you have a Knee Mill; they are just a wee more ridged. However both methods would be 100% superior over trying to hand drill.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7695 Times on 4103 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn11 View Post
I agree with your statement, that said (probably over thinking) does the gas block ever slide from recoil because the set screw can't get a good hold.

I ass u me that if it was a problem there would have been corrective action somewhere along the line.
Use some rocksett and the set sews won't back out. Gasblocks can get hot enough to melt blue or red locktite.

Never heard of a properly installed gas block shifting other than the clamp on types
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Use some rocksett and the set sews won't back out. Gasblocks can get hot enough to melt blue or red locktite.

Never heard of a properly installed gas block shifting other than the clamp on types
Thanks JohnM. When McX358 referred to using the proper Locktite for the correct application, I hadn't even thought of melting. I ass u me d he was referring to the red/blue permanent / removable on the small set screw.

First time I have seen a reference to something other than Locktite as a holding agent, thanks. I must lead a sheltered life.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #25

I call all thread stuff locktite; my bad...I should be more specific...what John M is referring to has a much superior heat protection / stabilizers than the 222, 242 series {LOCTITE BRAND};all my AR's I have applied rocksett, and have had no issues with screws backing out. I'm also a stickler for using anti-seize {I use a copper/Moly mix} on barrel threads, & barrel nut threads etc, no matter if its a AR or a Mauser 98, makes removing a whole lot easier.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5850 Times on 2702 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

Timothy,

I have also seen that done as well. I just prefer the wire so there is no chance of it blocking the gas port while leveling and the final tightening and dimpling the barrel. But your techniques will work also. Thanks for another option. This should leave those who have never done it before with some good information.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7695 Times on 4103 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn11 View Post
Thanks JohnM. When McX358 referred to using the proper Locktite for the correct application, I hadn't even thought of melting. I ass u me d he was referring to the red/blue permanent / removable on the small set screw.

First time I have seen a reference to something other than Locktite as a holding agent, thanks. I must lead a sheltered life.
Only things you use rocksett for on a rifle are places where heat is an issue. Gasblock, muzzledevice, gas key screws. Everything else should be blue locktite. I dont use red on a gun for anything, Just not needed.

Rocksett has a melt point around 1800 degrees. It takes 24 hours to full cure. Will begin to harden around 5 minutes. It has 3/4 the sheer strength of blue but that is more than sufficient for any ar15 application. Make sure you have properly fitting hardened set screws and wrench before using rocksett. This means source your gasblock from a reputable source like midwest industries(my favorite) , bcm, rra, psa etc. Cheap gimmicky crap like you get from larue tactical will strip when using rocksett.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 02-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Turn11 Likes This 
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #28

Great Post JM; Absolutely one must know where and what type of thread sealant; red & green are forever...well they can be removed, but it will be a lot of blood sweat and tears. While not an AR; I once had a Remington 788 come in, cust wanted to change over to another caliber, so out comes receiver wrench hydro press and big pip wrench...we son & I couldn't budge it...out comes THOR, still no budge..out come Gas Torch..{another very careful operation}...finally it started to smoke {rather rancid foul stench} barrel started to loosen, end results it appeared someone at the Big Green used the wrong tap on the receiver, but that did not stop them from barreling it, they used epoxy and thread lock stuff from space aliens...I knew the rifle well, it shot many rounds, never new the barrel wasn't really threaded, but held in by glues....I use a lot of proprietor epoxies and glues a chemist makes for me for barrel / receiver bedding and other apps; but I would had never thought of such an app as I saw that day.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #29

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 651

I know Jon will say best thing is to avoid pistons, but the procedure for alignment of a gas block for pistons is a little different. The gas block is actually the last peice to install. This reduces the risk of op rod binding, and it ends up being simpler. Easier and faster in the long run.
McX358 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 AM   #30

I like piston driven platforms; for my omg (*(^&*%$^%#$ has hit the fan it is a piston operated rifle, just like my omg @#$&%^%&*Y*(& shotgun is recoil operated shotgun...you get the point. But that's like why some people like Chevy's, and some like Fords. There is no such thing as the all around perfect do everything rifle; although I have customers who think we gunny's can build them that. {the 16 pound bull barrel carry in the woods 4X4 stock shot from 25' too 1000 yards with the 6.5 X 80 X 75 MM blue & red lighted with flashing dials bell and whistle, with optional cigar cutter and lighter scope} rifle. That is why we have guns safes so we can have different models; gives us something to bitch about. "can't mud-sling with a Vett, and don't take a 4X4 on an Indy track" Each ones has a purpose.