how to align your gasblock
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > how to align your gasblock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6674 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Default how to align your gasblock

question that pops up from time to time is, my rifle isnt cycling properly or how do i get my gas block square.

well there are a couple ways one involves eyeballing it with ye olde mark 1 eyeball. this can work and it can be a lot of fiddling to get right.

however i prefer to do it right the first time and know its going to be allowing the gas to flow into the block with no issues.

here is how i do it.

tie some thread to the barrel extension stretch it square across the index pin so its centered. then bring it down the barrel centering over the gas port. make an index mark on the thread and barrel.

next tie the thread to the block align along the center of the gas tube hole make second reference mark.

now you can easily align the two marks tighten the set screws then check the marks for movement and readjust if needed.

while it looks a little off in the three pics thats just my crappy photography and camera perspective. but they give you the idea
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Wow this is great info. You should sticky this in the AR-15 threads

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Nice 'n' Easy! I like!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 821

Nice and simple. Much better then the laser level and machined bracket that I've been using for the last few years! Thanks for the info JonM!

+1 on the sticky, maybe a new topic "AR Build Tips and Tricks" Start collecting some of these build tips in one place...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-24-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Nice and simple. Much better then the laser level and machined bracket that I've been using for the last few years! Thanks for the info JonM! +1 on the sticky, maybe a new topic "AR Build Tips and Tricks"...
Thanks. I got the idea from law and order criminal intent a few years back. One guy was being framed for murder by his wife who had done a murder for hire and the hitman used a steel wire to strangle a victim. The wife planted a modified chalk snap line her husband always carried replacing the line with wire so he would get busted going through the court metal detector.

I was swapping out a bent gas tube and cleaning my carbine while it was on and thinking about gasblocks and how to align them...

Stupid, but you never know when an idea hits

I will leave the condensing to someone else who is less apt to erase subforums...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Nice info, thank you!. I just properly aligned and installed the gas tube last night by marking with pencil and a paper name card. Also dimpled the barrel right where the gas block screws sit tight.
Google and Youtube are free knowledge.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Awesome idea ill keep it in mind thanks JohM

Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Likes Given: 3

I have a question for the at experienced. I'm buildind an ar10 and I'm fixing to buy my gas block. Been looking at a lot of different designs out there. Was wondering which one if it even matters is better. The ones that clamp to the barrel or the set screw type. Thanks for your consideration.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Set screws work better. They are less likely to slip from abuse than clamp on.

Use a bit of rocksett on your set screws. Do not put anything on the barrel surfaces or inside the gasblock like locktite. I clean the surfaces with acetone to remove grease and oil Asyou want a clean fit.

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3318 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

JonM

Great information on the tread technique! I will try it! Thanks
I will Share another option.

I use a bubble level and a large paper clip.
1. I put the pivot pin lug in my vise to hold the upper receiver and assure it is level,
2. I put a small "L" Bend on the end of the *Large Paperclip and straighten out the rest of it.
3. I put the Gas Block on the Barrel loose.
4. Insert the "L" of the Large Paperclip through the Gas Tube hole on the Gas Block and into the Gas Port Hole then tape the long straightened part of the paperclip to the barrel. This keeps the Gas Block from cutting off part of the Gas Port Hole while finishing the installation.
5. Slightly snug the screws on the Gas Block. But loose enough I can move it on the barrel to level it.
6. Level the Gas Block with the Flat Top Receiver (And Quad Rail if it is included in the assembly!)
7. Put three location marks on the barrel and the gas block with a pencil or silver marker. The first being right under the Gas Block Opening and on the Barrel & Gas Block. And then one at 3 and 9 o'clock on the Gas Block & Barrel. These three marks show you the location on the Gas Block position on the Barrel when reinstalled with the Gas Tube in it for final assembly. Then you can remove the Paperclip at that time.
10. When ready for final installation I recheck the level of the Receiver and Gas Block when tightening. (And Level of the Quad Rail if used!) All will be on the same level.
11. After tightening the screws if they are the type that screws into the barrel. I then remove one of them and put a little Blue Thread Locker on the screw and reinsert that screw. Then remove the second one and repeat the Thread Locker. If you have any doubt about the security of the screw and barrel contact type you can also take a small punch and put slight indentations in the barrel for the screws to fasten more securely.
Or use a small drill press and while having the screws removed for the following Thread Locker application you can take a diamond tip drill and put a slight indent in the barrel for the screws to fasten more securely. But most of the time the final step is not required. With the clamp on Gas Blocks this final step is not applicable.
The above procedure allows you not only to align the Gas Block but also assures the right location on the barrel so it does not cut off any portion of the Gas Port. When installing a Gas Block on the M-4 Style Barrel, DO not forget that when removing the End Cap that holds the traditional M-4 hand guards that the End Cap takes up space. Using some Gas Blocks if you push the Gas Block all the way back against the shoulder on the M-4 Barrel the Gas Port can possibly be cut off! I believe Yankee Hill is making gas blocks now to allow for this issue by making the gas port hole in the gas blocks slightly oversized.

Here is the Level I use!
File Type: png Bubble Level.png (15.4 KB, 80 views)

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-15-2015 at 04:00 PM.
BulloftheWoods Likes This