how to align your gasblock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > how to align your gasblock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Default how to align your gasblock

question that pops up from time to time is, my rifle isnt cycling properly or how do i get my gas block square.

well there are a couple ways one involves eyeballing it with ye olde mark 1 eyeball. this can work and it can be a lot of fiddling to get right.

however i prefer to do it right the first time and know its going to be allowing the gas to flow into the block with no issues.

here is how i do it.

tie some thread to the barrel extension stretch it square across the index pin so its centered. then bring it down the barrel centering over the gas port. make an index mark on the thread and barrel.

next tie the thread to the block align along the center of the gas tube hole make second reference mark.

now you can easily align the two marks tighten the set screws then check the marks for movement and readjust if needed.

while it looks a little off in the three pics thats just my crappy photography and camera perspective. but they give you the idea

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Wow this is great info. You should sticky this in the AR-15 threads

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Nice 'n' Easy! I like!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #4

Liked 384 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Nice and simple. Much better then the laser level and machined bracket that I've been using for the last few years! Thanks for the info JonM!

+1 on the sticky, maybe a new topic "AR Build Tips and Tricks" Start collecting some of these build tips in one place...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-24-2014 at 05:05 AM.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Nice and simple. Much better then the laser level and machined bracket that I've been using for the last few years! Thanks for the info JonM! +1 on the sticky, maybe a new topic "AR Build Tips and Tricks"...
Thanks. I got the idea from law and order criminal intent a few years back. One guy was being framed for murder by his wife who had done a murder for hire and the hitman used a steel wire to strangle a victim. The wife planted a modified chalk snap line her husband always carried replacing the line with wire so he would get busted going through the court metal detector.

I was swapping out a bent gas tube and cleaning my carbine while it was on and thinking about gasblocks and how to align them...

Stupid, but you never know when an idea hits

I will leave the condensing to someone else who is less apt to erase subforums...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Nice info, thank you!. I just properly aligned and installed the gas tube last night by marking with pencil and a paper name card. Also dimpled the barrel right where the gas block screws sit tight.
Google and Youtube are free knowledge.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Awesome idea ill keep it in mind thanks JohM