Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How about a little game of BCG Hot Potato!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ok guys, just PM'd you all for a request for schedules and shipping adressess.

Please respond and I'll put together an updated list in order or receipt and forward only the addresses that you will be shipping the bcg out to when you are done.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #52

Soooo Lookit what Mr Postman brought for me today from ROG's house!

Took it out the box and really like how nice it looked. It has an ever so slight bronze tint to it, not quite as white as chrome can get. Its tight, and takes a little effort to slide the bolt back and forth. Overall I like it. I like it all nice and clean, bright shiny and new.

I like the BRO logo, and its not gaudy, doesn't scream PRODUCT PLACEMENT and is etched deep into the BCG. Purty. Did I mention its shiny?

I'm not sure where this thing is made.......

Got home put the wife and kids to bed and busted out the camera phone and scale. It measures 11 3/4 oz just like all my other full auto bcgs.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #53

Here are the three standout issues that I see after stripping it and inspecting it closely.

1) Staking. Not so good. If you look close the material staked on the bcg doesn't even touch the bolts. Honestly this staking job is more for show, and I hope it doesn't lead to any issues.

Here's what good staking should look like, please note how the material of the bcg is pushed into the material of the head of the bolt effectively locking it in place..... PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE CARBON AND CRUD on this BCG. My BCGs are blue collar working men, and it"s their job to get dirty. That and I've been a bit lazy, so sue me. A little spritz of lube and after 2k+ rounds its still going strong off Wolf, RUAG, M193, M855 and PMC.

2) I inspected the lugs of the bolt very carefully and took a handful of pictures of what appears to be a machining error. One of the corners on the rear side of the lug (opposite where the chamber would be) appears to have a corner machined off at an odd angle. It should not be an issue but here is the best picture I took of it........

3)The firing pin may be out of spec. It doesn't seem to protrude far enough out of the channel to ignite the primer. I checked it against my other BCGs and honestly it seems to be only coming out 60-70% of what all my others look like. I do have spare firing pins, and I will bring them with me on my outing.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #54

Thinking over it now, I think I'll bust out the calipers I have and compare the overall length of the firing pins. If they are the same, I'll swap out my current pin and put it into the BRO to see its and issue with the channel of the bolt. But not 2nite. its almost 12 and my 1 month old is gonna wake up any #$%@#$% minute.

I will end with my initial thoughts. This BCG looks nice. Probably will be easier to clean too. But its tight, and the firing pin seems tight too. I really want to lube it up before throwing it into my ARs. Well I guess I'll just wait and see.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Tikki , I think at the bare minimum the gas rings need a bit of lube but since your making the calls if you wanna run it dry lets do it. Lets see how the coating holds up . it is special you know ,it has this super slick high dollar coating on it so lets put it to work Dont forget to include the note book to take notes with .

Here is one more suggestion I think when the person is done with it they should leave it dirty for the next person to see and they can clean it or not before they use it and pass it on dirty this will give us a chance to see carbon build up and a chance to clean it off if we so desire to see how easy it cleans.
Dont forget to mark roughly how many rounds it sees with each user / rifle combo info
Sample
" 16" mid length , Wolf 5.56 ammo 300 rds no failures" .
7.5" pistol length, PMC .223 125 rds , 25 FTEs
Write down any issues , FTF, FTE,malfunctions, loose screws, if you lubed it , etc
Have fun

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Also may not hurt to post it on here who you passed it on to " screen name" with a tracking number

Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #57

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 692

AT, is the bolt's differently machined lug directly opposite of the extractor? BRO may be borrowing ArmaLite's logic that the lug 180 degrees from the extractor must not engage the barrel extension lugs. ArmaLite believes this takes stress off the two lugs next to the extractor.

Thanks for the detailed observations and great photos. Very glad you did that as it gives us a baseline starting out. In a previous BRO thread I asked if the staking was light but the OP never followed up with better pictures or comment. Thanks for clearing that up.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
AT, is the bolt's differently machined lug directly opposite of the extractor? BRO may be borrowing ArmaLite's logic that the lug 180 degrees from the extractor must not engage the barrel extension lugs. ArmaLite believes this takes stress off the two lugs next to the extractor.

Thanks for the detailed observations and great photos. Very glad you did that as it gives us a baseline starting out. In a previous BRO thread I asked if the staking was light but the OP never followed up with better pictures or comment. Thanks for clearing that up.
Thanks for that insight. I found it kind of odd that only one lug was that way. I will double check 2nite and report back which lug has that feature.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #59

Here's a PDF on the subject from ArmaLite's Technical Library: (they do this on both their AR-10 and AR-15 bolts.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tech%20Note%2013,%20Improved%20Rifle%20Bolt%209605 07.pdf

TECHNICAL NOTE 13: IMPROVED RIFLE BOLT

I. SUMMARY:
The ArmaLite® AR-10B rifle bolt bears an unusual improvement which may be mistaken
for a defect: the locking lug opposite the extractor is deliberately relieved at the rear so as
not to contact the locking lug of the barrel extension. This feature strengthens the bolt.

II. FACTS:
1. ArmaLite® bolts bear 7 locking lugs, each 22.5 degrees apart from the next. At this
angle there should be 8 lugs in a circle, but one lug has been removed to provide space for
the extractor.

2. The missing lug creates an asymmetry, or imbalance, in the bolt. When the rifle is
fired the pressure of the cartridge presses the bolt rearward, and the lugs transfer this
energy to the matching locking lugs of the barrel extension. The bolt flexes at the rear
inside corner of the lug during this process. Because one lug is missing, the deformation
is greatest in the area of the missing bolt. A series of engineering analyses have disclosed
that the lugs on either side of the extractor each receive 40% of the recoil load.

3. Relieving the rear of the lug opposite the extractor "balances" the loading of the bolt by
restoring symmetry. The load placed on the bolt is spread more evenly over the six
remaining lugs. Peak lug loading is reduced.

4. Relieving the lug opposite the extractor reduces peak loading on the lugs neighboring
the extractor from 40% to 24% each. It is not reduced to 16 1/3% (1/6 of the recoil load)
because a small asymmetry remains: the lugs neighboring the extractor are slightly
undercut for the extractor, which results in continued relative weakness at those lugs.
Nonetheless, the load on the weakest lugs is reduced 40%, compared to the standard M-
16 design, by spreading a portion of that load to the other 4 lugs.

5. In addition to the relieved lug, the AR-10B bolt bears tapered lugs with wide roots.
This puts added strength exactly where stresses are at their greatest. The AR-10 bolt is
significantly stronger than the similar M-16 bolt. U.S. patent # 5911173 issued on June 8,
1999 and U.S. patent # 6044748 issued on April 4, 2000 (both issued to Mark Westrom
and assigned to ArmaLite®, Inc.) protect these significant improvements to AR-15 style
firearms.

© 1998 ArmaLite, Inc. All rights reserved. Reformatted 110404.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #60

BTW, we've talked about ArmaLite's Technical Library Tech Notes in other threads but it might not be bad to add the link to one of our AR stickys.

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=35e8a0b0-7e71-4af3-b335-53f4a7dc8f08