How about a little game of BCG Hot Potato! - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > How about a little game of BCG Hot Potato!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
Just a quick update: Bad news!!
I just got back from the range and i'll brief u guys later on. Wifey was kinda pissed off as i was gone for hours. Lol. Also getting ready to the Church.
Merry Xmas everyone!!
Uh-oh! Looks like Santa's not getting any cookies n milk tonight

Old 12-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #112
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
When i was about to drop the firing pin back in, i felt i didn't drop free fully. It stucked. Then i inspected it closely and found out the firing pin isn't straight, it's bent. Here is the pic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thanks for the initial report, OK. Very informative. Good catch on the firing pin! Interesting both fancy BCGs have had firing pin issues. All that finishing work that went into the bolt and carrier, then they both ended up dropping the ball with defective firing pins. You'd think assemblers would be told to roll the firing pin on a hard flat surface to check straightness.

This is very interesting, indeed These are pricey for me to buy as well as for end-users to buy. I don't know...starting to think it is not worth the gamble to carry these anymore. They definitely look all nice and pretty on the outside.

Okdonk, I think it is best to send that back to me after you are done using it with your firing pin. I think we are going to have to scratch this eval as I only had two brands of coated BCGs and both had problems. I do have the ones that come packaged with the SIONICS uppers, but do not have a spare to pass around. The SIONICS ones are more of a brushed satin look and are standard equipment with their rifles and uppers. Their core customer is LE, so theirs are proven to work as they have been tested and used as duty weapons. If i can get one of their BCGs, I will start this back up again and we will see. I am a little disappointed myself, but am glad we have some knowledgeable people on here who took time to inspect gear prior to using. Think of how many people are out there that just buy something off the shelf and slap it in their carbine without a second thought. Make sure what should be straight is straight...what should be hollow is hollow.

BTW, I have 250 Spike's BCGs (standard mil-spec) coming in some time in the future. ETAs and spike's do not go together, so just understand that it will be sometime in the future

Merry Christmas all!

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #113
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am open for letting you guys eval another product. Throw out some suggestions and I'll see what I can do. If it is something doable, i will start a new thread for it.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #114

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

X-mark. Put me down for at least a couple Spike's unless you get something else in in the near future.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 695 Times on 359 Posts

Both Spikes and Daniel Defense have a coated BCG, I would hope that QC would be a bit better from them.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'm back!

Sorry for being slow.
Here it is my 2nd review and my final conclusion to this FailZero BCG.

As i said in my previous post, i would be testing it with my Noveske firing pin inside the FailZero BCG.

My weapon was:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=mk18-556&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

Noveske Complete 10.5" SBR, Carbine Gas System with Spike's Tactical ST-T2 Buffer.
Brought 220 rounds of WPA Russian ammo and 90 rounds of PMC.

First 4 full mags of WPA & 1 full mags of PMC ammo were flawless.
Then 2 FTE occured on the next full mag of WPA ammo.
Then 3 FTE on the next full mag of PMC ammo.
Things gone worst, i had about about 10 FTE, FTF and Double feed on the full mag of WPA ammo.

Remove the FailZero BCG out of my SBR and put in my Noveske BCG with it's firing pin.
Counted my remaining ammo, there were about 30 rounds of PMC ammo & 40 rounds of WPA ammo.

Shot the remaining ammo with my Noveske BCG without any single hiccup. Worked flawless!

Forgot to mention, the testing was done in a rapidly firing aka mag dumps.

Here are the abused FailZero BCG before cleaning:

Pics of throughly cleaned FailZero BCG:

The FailZero BCG is cleaned and is in sealed Priority Small Flat Rate Box. It is ready to be shipped back to X-Mark.
My opinion, as i said it is shiny just like Spike's. And i never liked chromed BCGs, i even sold my brand new Spike's chromed BCG which came with my upper.
I am not really sure why i had those hiccups with this BCG. I did heavily coat this BCG prior use with Mobil1 Full Syntetic Motor Oil 5-30W as i always do when lubing my firearms. I love them WET!
Maybe the extractor caused the problem? But i didn't notice any specific find which might caused this failure when i cleaned it.
Also, if i remember correctly, don't they always say Nickel Boron/ Chromed BCGs are self lubricated? It FAILED on WET though! lol

Hope this thread answer to those asking "Is Nickel Boron or Chromed BCG better than the regular BCG?" It is not necessarily better but it is more expensive for sure!
Also the SBR i used to test it, it worked and works flawlessly. That, i'm sure this failure wasn't because of my weapon or the ammo i used.

Once again, it was a pleasure and honor to be included in this experiment.
Thank You Mark!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #117

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I find it really odd to get two lemons in a row. I've read reports that you should NOT shoot brass after shooting lacquered steel ammo, as the lacquer leaves the chamber all nasty and sticky and makes brass cased ammo stick in the chamber. The newer wolg stuff is poly coated steel and shouldn't have the same issues. How old was that wolf? Do you now what kind of coating's on the casings?

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-28-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The WPA ammo are Polymer coating.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW223PFMJ55

I got them from AIM few months ago.
So AT, what do you think might caused the failure?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #119

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Thanks for that report, Okdonk! I'm sure all these companies couldn't stay in business if all boutique BCGs were troubleprone but in the end 0-2 in a truncated testing makes me feel good staying with good old phosphated BCM and Daniel Defense (and of course Colt, Noveske, LMT, etc.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You welcome Q. I apologize if my report wasn't really intensive. Please pardon me, i'm still learning from you guys.