Hornady 5.56 75gr bthp superformance - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Hornady 5.56 75gr bthp superformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How do you feel it will damage your firearm?
I was getting ready to ask the same question

Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #12

Liked 642 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Ok guys, let's not get into it over steel vs brass.

This is about Hornady superformance.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Ok guys, let's not get into it over steel vs brass.

This is about Hornady superformance.
How is that Steel VS Brass? He mentioned steel would damage his AR and we asked how. It's a valid question considering this is an open forum and someone who doesn't know better might think it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #14

He may be notioning that steel uses corosive powder or something along those lines. I don't know.

I just see this taking a huge side step around the OP's question.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
He may be notioning that steel uses corosive powder or something along those lines. I don't know.

I just see this taking a huge side step around the OP's question.
Kinda like it is now after your earlier post (#12)?

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Kinda like it is now after your earlier post (#12)?
Ummm.....yea....sorry O.P.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #17

Steel case ammo can cause extraction problems, and possibly problems with lockup.
Most steel case ammo has some sort of a coating, like lacquer, or a copper coat, for a couple of purposes: Rust prevention and to keep the case from sticking to the chamber. Steel on steel contact creates a lot more friction than brass on steel.It is undesirable to have high breech friction. You will read all sorts of accounts from people where steel cases failed to extract. The cases stuck in the chamber. Could have been due to several causes, an interference fit, the case may not have relaxed in time from the chamber walls, or just high steel to steel friction.
If the steel case is a bit too long, or too fat for the chamber, the stiffness of the steel is such that the bolt may not have enough forward momentum to size the thing to fit the chamber. Which will cause a failure to lockup. This can and will happen with brass, but brass is much more mallable, so the interference has to be much larger with brass.
I have rolled steel cases in oily patches, or between my hands, with a drop of oil, to reduce breech friction.
Chambers wear over time. In my match M1a's, it was noticable that after 5000 rounds the chamber was a little bigger than when it was new. I suspect steel cases would cause even a bit more wear. However the lifetime of the barrel is determined by wear in the throat and rifling.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #18

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRar-15
Steel case ammo can cause extraction problems, and possibly problems with lockup.
Most steel case ammo has some sort of a coating, like lacquer, or a copper coat, for a couple of purposes: Rust prevention and to keep the case from sticking to the chamber. Steel on steel contact creates a lot more friction than brass on steel.It is undesirable to have high breech friction. You will read all sorts of accounts from people where steel cases failed to extract. The cases stuck in the chamber. Could have been due to several causes, an interference fit, the case may not have relaxed in time from the chamber walls, or just high steel to steel friction.
If the steel case is a bit too long, or too fat for the chamber, the stiffness of the steel is such that the bolt may not have enough forward momentum to size the thing to fit the chamber. Which will cause a failure to lockup. This can and will happen with brass, but brass is much more mallable, so the interference has to be much larger with brass.
I have rolled steel cases in oily patches, or between my hands, with a drop of oil, to reduce breech friction.
Chambers wear over time. In my match M1a's, it was noticable that after 5000 rounds the chamber was a little bigger than when it was new. I suspect steel cases would cause even a bit more wear. However the lifetime of the barrel is determined by wear in the throat and rifling.
U can say what ever u want... I had this battle with these guys already and it's not worth it... They shoot steel and like it.. We shoot brass and like it... Just leave it at that... To them any problem with a gun ftfeed or fte is a gun or mag problem...

Now I wanna know how much the red box 77gr ammo is your buying? Cuz it's a huge waste to stock pile good hunting ammo... I get PMC x-tac xm855 for 6.19 a box from palmetto state armory... As for SD? Get a shotgun lol

Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRar-15 View Post
I challenge you to go back and do a little investigation on the ARs that have had problems w/ steel sticking in the chamber. You'll find an out of spec chamber. Most steel cased ammo is not lacquer coated anymore. You're basing your opinion on out dated information.

If a person is having extraction problems is is usually a timing issue which is easily remedied w/ a lighter buffer or in the most extreme cases a $15 extractor up grade kit.

I understand some people prefer to use brass but don't say steel won't work just because you have problems w/ it in your AR. I am willing to bet if you ran a properly sized reamer through your chamber you would be GTG.

Quote:

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #20

Like I said everyone has their own opinion. I will stick to brass. Haven't missed a target yet.......or had any issues for that matter.