Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Homemade targets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/homemade-targets-65998/)

Tenderribbs 06-07-2012 09:57 PM

Homemade targets

1 Attachment(s)
I Was riding the backroads the other day and stumbled up onto 4 of these rail road plates. They were 1/2. Thick steel so the perfect plinker thickness. I mounted them to a
Tomato wire stakes like the kind you use on growing tomatoes. ( see pic)

Attachment 48116

I then painted it white so all you have to do to start over is put some paint on it ,just takes about 2 seconds to spray another coat then you have a nw target. It makes a loud kaplink! Anybody else got some ideas on homemade targets?

MrWray 06-07-2012 10:06 PM

So you took rail road property? EEEK!

mountainman13 06-07-2012 10:13 PM

The plate is angled downward. I hope.

Tenderribbs 06-07-2012 10:13 PM

Well I'm guessing that's what they are I found them at an old home place

SSGN_Doc 06-07-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 828407)
I Was riding the backroads the other day and stumbled up onto 4 of these rail road plates. They were 1/2. Thick steel so the perfect plinker thickness. I mounted them to a
Tomato wire stakes like the kind you use on growing tomatoes. ( see pic)

Attachment 48116

I then painted it white so all you have to do to start over is put some paint on it ,just takes about 2 seconds to spray another coat then you have a nw target. It makes a loud kaplink! Anybody else got some ideas on homemade targets?

Railroad near us replaced a bunch of ties and plates. I asked a foreman if I could have some of the old plates, and he told me I could. My neighbor was able to get some of the ties for his flower bed.

I took a cople of the plates and ran chain through the holes, Made an a frame out of cheap metal pipe from Lowes. They do swing and clang pretty good. Rifle rounds will chew them up, but handguns and .22s seem to be ok.

Make sure they are pretty far away and angled downward so that spall from the impacting rounds don't hit you.

JonM 06-07-2012 11:56 PM

rounds can come back an amazingly far distance. shot myself once with my colt sp1. i shot at a mesquite tree(very very dense wood) 50yards away the bullet came straight back hit me in the chest. it was only slightly distorted from the impact. if i had of been a lot closer i might have been in serious trouble. still had a very nice purple bruise in the center of my chest for a week

Tenderribbs 06-08-2012 12:10 AM

All good advice. The good thing about this set up the tomato wire acts like its hanging from a chain it will sway back and forth after hitting it as compared to a steel plate against something solid to make a sold ricochette. I've got them set up at 100 150 and 200 thanks for safety tips

primer1 06-11-2012 11:34 PM

From what I've read, you want to angle the top of the plate away from your shooting position. Splatter will follow the angle of the plate, if it is leaning foward the splatter is angling toward you.

I did this on a similar plate years ago with a mini 14, and caught a piece of jacket in my knuckle right by my eye.(right hand, shooting right handed, plate leaning towards me.)

xcoreyyyx 06-12-2012 12:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just a little .22lr plinker we welded together. 1", 2", and 3" targets. They swing when you hit it if not spin all the way around for the 1".

primer1 06-12-2012 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48648

My homemade targets. The back left shapes are what I cut the smaller ones from, scrap from my job. Then I welded long sharp pieces on the bottom to jab into the ground.The profile and coyote are from larger pieces of scrap. It looks like the cat pooped dandylions. :D

I was regularly hitting the groundhogs at 150 yards with my 22lr. I left the coyote in my yard at the edge of the field, it gets lots of stares from passing cars. :)