HoloSun Scopes?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > HoloSun Scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 105 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default HoloSun Scopes?

Was on Primary Arms site and came across the HoloSun Red Dots.

I read many positive reviews about them and found that they're the OEM for Primary Arms, which has also gotten great reviews/customer service for their Red Dots.

So I decided to order one. A Micro Dot HS403A that's being compared to the Aimpoint T1 for less than $200.

Has anybody here run a HoloSun through some paces?

I should receive the scope on Friday.
Life Member of NRA
Lifetime "Conservation Partner" Permit Holder

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 407 Posts

I don't own one, but I'm considering it. Let us know what you think. I had a Lucid M7 micro and the battery leaked and ruined it. I'm in the market for a new one and looked at these too. Post some pics and a review after some range time .

Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #3

Well, I received the HoloSun on Friday, and already ran into some problem I think. I love the size, and finish is top notch. I have astigmitizm(sp) and the dot is a little broken up, but I need new glasses also, so I know that's some of the problem, but I can overcome this minor issue. The lens' themselves are top quality glass with full coatings.

The biggest flaw I found is the Objective(front) Lens was canted/tilted/angled(whatever) out at the bottom and I think the lens wasn't installed and seated correctly.

I'm not worried about any of this, as I've had other scopes that are more expensive that didn't function correctly out-of-box and warranty work fixed quickly. I guess I get to be guinea pig for this and will also let you know how that goes.

I understand that Primary Arms is doing the warranty work for HoloSun for the moment, so I'm sure I'll be back in business soon with a new scope to give a little review on. Probably won't hear anything due to weekend.

Not looking for refund at this time. I want an exchange, as I really think this lil scope is quite nice and very well made. The dot is really bright on the upper end and will awash the interior of scope when indoors. That's typical of most all RD's that I've seen and tested.

One thing I did do for testing purposes(before I return it) is remove the tall base mount(lower 1/3 witness) and replaced it with the short heigth mount that's included w/scope. Needed a Riser around 1/2", so I ordered a UTG QD Riser(received today) and mated with the scope to give the HoloSun Micro an absolute co-witness.

The UTG Mount is #RSQD605. This is a 5 slot model and is a little longer than needed, so if you can't decide between 3 or 5 slot riser, either will work when using with this scope's shorter height base. I got off Amazon for around $18. It adjusts up nice and tight with included hex wrench. It's aircraft aluminum w/anodizing(not painted) and is 0.059 saddle height. Good piece so far, but will need to run it through the paces along w/scope when time comes.
Life Member of NRA

Last edited by Triumphman; 11-23-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Incorrect info on lens sealing

Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #4

Well, color me shocked.

I just got off phone with HoloSun. It's Saturday and at night right around 8:30pm in Florida, and a Company actually calls to help out the Customer. I think it was the CEO(don't remember name and heavy accent). Now, I call that service.

Well, as to the Scope's front(Objective)Lens being angled/tilted. It's actually made this way to help alleviate sight distortions between the lens and real sight picture. This is prevalent when scoping straight lines such as roof tops or vertical edges and both eyes are open to notice. First time I've ever seen this in any scope. I relayed this concern to the person who called me about it, and said that this fact needs to be included in the scope's info. He said I wasn't the only person who's had this concern and said that it should be included on the site's information. Especially since the lens' are so close to scope's outer edges with no over-hanging bells or power rings.

I guess, I'll now do some waterproof tests to see if it passes, now that I got the lens issue taken care of and don't need to return scope for warranty work----as of yet.

Water Test Results Completed:

Never did a test like this, especially after spending some good money on what some people may think is a cheap scope due to not being a combat type that costs 3 to 5 times more, but I consider a good quality lower costing scope that most people would gyrate to, due to spending more than they normally would.

I first removed all the steel parts of the scope(cross screw/rail clamp), then coated the small steel screws on bottom of scope with some clear fingernail polish. This keeps from rusting over time---especially since this is a 50,000hr(10yr--YMMV) battery life type scope, which means usually once on, it stays on and generally no gun oil to protect over time.

Filled a deep dark cereal bowl with very warm(110*) water. Dark background lets one see bubbles easier. OK, here goes. I dunk the scope and rotate to remove any air pockets. There's some surface bubbles--no problem. I now start my watch chronometer and we overlook scope for 1 minute. NOTHING.
OK, lets just back off and see.

30 minutes later. I go back to look at scope. Water has cooled down and many surface bubbles all over scope, but this is natural. I take scope out of water and shake off water. There's the RED DOT, and I go up/down with brightness controls. GTG.

I get a soft towel and dry off the scope. Blow out any crevice and make totally dry. Go and get my hunting flashlight and shine into the scope's interior.

WTF DO I SEE!!!!!!

NOTHING. Yelp, nothing. Dry as the Sahara Desert. We have a WINNER. Not bad for a less than $200---so far. Got more testing to do, but another day when weather is more favorable.
Life Member of NRA

Last edited by Triumphman; 11-23-2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Water Testing.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

Default HoloSun Scopes?

Triumphman- you went above and beyond. Don't think I could of water tested anything of mine regardless of advertisements. Something about attempting to ruin a new toy doesn't sit well with me. But you did it! Good review so far . I'm probably going to order one soon. Keep us updated on some range time with it. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 329 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have a astigmatism too in my strong side eye. Pistols are fired left eye right hand with no issues . Right eye like with a AR 15 and a dot I found I can turn down the brightness of the light and get a clear dot and still see fine. Turned up and it glows with a distortion something awfull in the bad eye I used burris speed dot on wifes AR

Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Sgt_Skrb_25, yes even for me, this was not something I would do even if the website says it's waterproof. What made this different was the fact I found many other reviews of this brand of scope and Primary Arms, who HoloSun makes these scopes for, being actually tested under water by a diver for 10 minutes and one review on AK's site just trashing a Primary Arms Micro(same as model I have) with tossing scope and rifle into a muddy creek, and dragging for a good minute behind a ATV on a trail. Talk about throwing the rifle down the driveway, these guys really did it.

I found that these models of scopes are waterproof for 100 feet. Now that's some quality built in for such a low cost scope. Most are only water proof for 1-18 meters which I believe is 3 to 60 feet at most.
Before I did the water proof test myself, I made sure I tightened down the W/E caps tight against the O-rings just to be safe.

This scope also has very good, tight, positive clicks and the W/E caps has the adjustment blade built in, so no screwdriver/coin is needed. Another nice touch is under the caps, you'll find which way to turn the scope's adjustment direction to turn for UP/R(right). Caps are also metal.

Still waiting for some parts to arrive for my rifle, so will come back with a range report. I think this will be my new bedside/home defense rifle, so I want it set up to what I think is best as possible.

PSA "blemish" Upper Assembly w/16" FN CHF, 1/7 barrel w/Magpul(grey stealth) handguard.
Anderson Lower
CMMG LPK
KNS ST15 antirotation pins
Brownell's 7075 carbine buffer tube assy
Magpul(grey stealth) M4 stock and overmolded pistol grip
AIM NiB BCG
Anderson 7075 charge handle

Still waiting on an ordered ProMag aluminum rear sight to arrive to adjust irons first, then give the HoloSun a little abuse.

I don't know how to get pictures onto this sight, so I might need someone to send pics to, to help me with this---once I get a few shots.
Life Member of NRA

Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

Default HoloSun Scopes?

Sounds like a nice build. I would help you with the pic situation but I only access the site with an app on the phone. Not sure how the desktop version works. Thanks for the info. Got one on order from Santa apparently!

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 11-25-2014 at 03:12 AM.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

I just got mine. I do like it. The auto turn on option is nice. As soon as a pick it up and it feels a vibration it turns on.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:43 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the holosun 2 moa red dot. The auto turn on is nice. Crisp clear dot. Works very well, i am buying another for my pistol build , Primary Arms has good deals on them
Triumphman Likes This