Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Holographic or red dot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/holographic-red-dot-88940/)

running_fool 04-16-2013 07:08 PM

I have a rock river arms elite operator 2. I have become very accurate using the iron sights. I'm looking to put some additional optics on my gun. I hear differing opinions for using holographic sites such as EO Tech. Or something like the Aim point pro or Vortex strike fire. What is liked?

bamashooter68 04-16-2013 08:49 PM

I have an Eotech 512 on my Delton. I like it a lot.

locutus 04-16-2013 10:07 PM

Both are truly superb.

Whichever you like best is the right choice.

That is, assuming you are willing to buy quality, and get either EOTech or Aimpoint.

Gatoragn 04-16-2013 10:33 PM

Red dots work better in bright light, you can see the dot, at least that is my experience.

AgentTikki 04-16-2013 11:01 PM

I'd caution that you should really try and sight through one first. I love the Eotech reticle in concept, but my eyes do NOT like them. My eyes don't like Leupold Deltapoints either.

I have Lasik and astigmatism for both eyes.

BigBizz87 04-16-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running_fool (Post 1215968)
I have a rock river arms elite operator 2. I have become very accurate using the iron sights. I'm looking to put some additional optics on my gun. I hear differing opinions for using holographic sites such as EO Tech. Or something like the Aim point pro or Vortex strike fire. What is liked?

Vortex is nice I sold mine it is rather large for my taste but my EO Tech is perfect for me I'd recommend looking at some in person before u make a decision but I'd go with a top quality sight if u want unflinching reliability

Point6liter 04-16-2013 11:52 PM

I have an aimpoint comp m4. I love it. Thing is bombproof.

bluez 04-17-2013 12:02 AM

I own both the Eotch 512 and the Aimpoint Pro.

Their price point is almost identical.
The Aimpoint pro seems to have some significant practical feaures the EOtech des not ( flip upo lens covers , 2 not 1 screwa to maint zero.. body more rugged, much longer batter life out of a lighter battery)
But the EOtech does work for me better in target aqusition especialy at ranges over 50 or70 yards the EOtechs reticle with point in the middle setup is superior performance wise and Holographics are an optically cleaner and more prcise technology to boot.

Summary:

If your requirements set is essentially CQB only The Aimpoint wins hands down be cause its only 2 weaknesses realatve the Eotech mean nothing at well under a 100 yards.

if you want a CQB setup up that will perform in a pinch to 200 or more yards the Eotech is better.
And when it comes ot ruggedness its defintly not a fragile unit either and the alu armor on top is almost certainly even tougher than the body of the Aimpoint.

So if CQB is your near exclusive game, such as urban self defense, HD or urban SHTF Aimpoint PRO wins.
If you also want to go hunting and want/need a little bit better long range capability on top of the good CCQB both optics offer than the Eotech is your choice.