Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > In the hole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Thanks for all the suggestions, but that brocken shell extractor looks it wouldn't be useful when there's a dowel in the barrel.

The freezer sounds like a good suggestion, than in conjuction with alcohol might get that bad boy out.

I'm kinda worried about the dowel its stuck in there real good. Might just bake it for a few hours and hopefull tap it out if its stuck.

The barrel is a 14.5" sabre defense chromelined. Its got over 5k round through it so its probably due for a replacement. If worse come to worse we just might toss the barrel.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #12

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, but that brocken shell extractor looks it wouldn't be useful when there's a dowel in the barrel.

The freezer sounds like a good suggestion, than in conjuction with alcohol might get that bad boy out.

I'm kinda worried about the dowel its stuck in there real good. Might just bake it for a few hours and hopefull tap it out if its stuck.

The barrel is a 14.5" sabre defense chromelined. Its got over 5k round through it so its probably due for a replacement. If worse come to worse we just might toss the barrel.
Those Sabre Defese barrels were supposed to be Chome Moly Vanadium with chrome lining. They should have a 20,000 round life span.

Teh shell exractor works from the chamber/ breech end. So if the rod is in the barrel and not in the shell itself it should work.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 392

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/stuck-case-removers/broken-shell-extractor-prod23311.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Broken-Extractor-Mini-14-Rifles/dp/B001FPTSTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391027712&sr=8-1&keywords=broken+shell+extractor

I have 2 of these but haven't had to use them ...yet. I also keep a brass rod handy.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post

Make sure its denatured not the same as rubbing/isopropyl.

Don't bake it. Adding heat is an extreme last resort and prolly won't work.

Pic of the stuck shell would help me make further suggestions

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 737

Don't get too creative. Small steps. Spray some Break Free into the barrel, let it soak for a few hours, then tap tap on a (coated) steel rod.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2538 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

+1 on Mercator's lube idea, then take a 2 1/2 - 3" stainless steel screw, thick enough to engage the edge of the primer hole, run it in no deeper than the neck of the shell and pull like hell.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #17

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Do you have an old fashioned dent puller? Screw it into the primer. Yank that puppy out.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6093 Times on 3343 Posts
Likes Given: 11678

Lube it up and blow it out with an air compressor?

no offense and none taken
BannedBackTogether@email.com

Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #19

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

#1 never never never use a wooden dowel , beating on it only causes it to expand . #2 skip the brass rod same deal, if its stuck that bad and your beating on it its going to expand some where . I use a cold rolled steel rod small enough to go clear to the bottom of the case . Your really in a bad situation now . Take barrel completely off of upper , remove barrel extension , spray on some PB Blaster and get after it with vise grips and twist it out .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #20

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Take the rifle to a gun smith. The shop will use a stuck shell extractor to remove the case. Most of these suggestion are untried remedys are from Gun store Ninjas. You will only damage the rifle more using most of these guesstimates.