Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   In the hole (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/hole-103414/)

AgentTikki 01-29-2014 06:18 PM

In the hole

So a while back, my friend was using that cheap russian steel case ammo. Long story short, a case got stuck in it.

We tried a wooden dowel and now the dowel's stuck in the barrel. the end coming out of the muzzle has broken off and we cannot remove it anymore.

We tried clamping down with a with adjustible jaw pliers and pulling the stuck case out, only thing we accomplished is tearing off the rim.

Now we have a torn case, a wooden dowel stuck in the barrel and a sad sad friend with his only rifle out of commission.

I'm leaning toward using a torch and heating up the barrel extension and then tapping the dowel out with a brass rod that I have.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the case and dowel?

crockett007 01-29-2014 06:31 PM

Remove handguard, and D ring. Separate barrel from receiver. Submerge barrel chamber end in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes.....tap out steel case. Don't shoot crap ammo anymore....have a nice day:D

AgentTikki 01-29-2014 06:40 PM

And the dowel? I'm thinking water would cause the wood to swell making it even harder to remove.

JonM 01-29-2014 06:53 PM

Don't boil your gun!! It can easily damage the metal.

Take a cleaning rod go in from the chamber pound the dowl out shouldn't take much.

Order a stuck shell extractor.

A lot of those steel cases are lacquer coated so it builds up on non chrome chambers. Denatured alcohol melts lacquer instantly pour some in both ends case might pop out.

orangello 01-29-2014 07:03 PM

Get a stouter, preferably brass, rod to clear her out.

I have heard of guys "prepping" their AR's for steel-cased fodder by putting a copper/brass shotgun bore brush in a drill to clean/buff their chamber area where the case would sit. I have not tried that.

Quentin 01-29-2014 07:08 PM

Any way to get a long thin screw started in the dowel, then pull it out? Of course it'd have to go in straight so not to scratch the bore.

Man this sounds like something I'd screw up! :D

JonM 01-29-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1494377)
Get a stouter, preferably brass, rod to clear her out.

I have heard of guys "prepping" their AR's for steel-cased fodder by putting a copper/brass shotgun bore brush in a drill to clean/buff their chamber area where the case would sit. I have not tried that.

That just removes the lacquer build up and not good to do a lot.

Don't shoot steel case in a non-chrome chamber.

If you need a bigger section of dowel to grip remove the muzzle device if it has one. Be careful not to crush the wood...

Hindsight section: don't pound on full length dowels. If light taps don't remove obstructions don't pound on em. The times I've used dowels I use a short section of dowel and drop it down the barrel then use a dowel to pound.

orangello 01-29-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1494395)
That just removes the lacquer build up and not good to do a lot....

"hot dog in a hallway" kinda thing, I spose.

SSGN_Doc 01-29-2014 07:23 PM

For the dowel, a brass rod and bigger hammer. For the case, you can actually put the barrel in the freezer. the shell should contract more in the cold. Then use some pentrating oil and a .223 broken shell extraction tool from Brownells

JonM 01-29-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1494401)
"hot dog in a hallway" kinda thing, I spose.

Yup. Can lead to worse issues if overdone. Which is easy to do with power tools.