HK style front sight

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > HK style front sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default HK style front sight

I was looking to try out the HK style sight maybe on my next build but while doing research on it I came across this that kinda turned me off to it. Can someone confirm that this statement below is correct?

"I like HK sight's on my HK, and M4/AR style on my M4/AR's. I'll pass on something that was brought to my attention, but I never had experience with. With the Troy HK-style front sights, you can raise or lower the elevation) Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong...Real HK sights are fixed. (The tip being roughly in the center of the circle.) That being said it was easy to line up the circle in the rear sight to the circle/half circle in the front and get a quick reference as to your point of aim. (By circle/half circle I'm referring to the protective "wings") The argument I'd heard was that with an adjustable elevation front sight, there's no need for the half circle as the tip of the front sight post may no longer be dead center. In fact if it's raised either up or down, this could hinder how quickly you can get on target as your eye naturally wants to line up both front and rear circles, when you may have needed to either raise or lower the muzzle end to get on target."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

The way the human eye works is it tries to automaticaly center curves with each other. Straight lines you find in leaf rear sights dont seem to be affected by this phenomena. Thats why the sights like peep sights work best.

Its a non issue brought up by someone thinking too much with no experience.

My scar17 has hk style front peep rear with an adjustable front sight post. It works just fine no problems. The only issue i have with hk style front is i have a harder time cleaning the front sight post area because of the full circle front. Functionally it works just fine

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The way the human eye works is it tries to automaticaly center curves with each other. Straight lines you find in leaf rear sights dont seem to be affected by this phenomena. Thats why the sights like peep sights work best.

Its a non issue brought up by someone thinking too much with no experience.

My scar17 has hk style front peep rear with an adjustable front sight post. It works just fine no problems. The only issue i have with hk style front is i have a harder time cleaning the front sight post area because of the full circle front. Functionally it works just fine
Ok so my question is, if the front post is adjustable on an HK style sight then are you still able to line it up circle within a circle and be able to hit where your post is sighted at (regardless of how much you have to adjust the post when sighting in)? Or will you have to center the top of the post in the middle of the rear circle (assuming it is not centered) making the circle within a circle concept useless?