Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > High Standard AR Anyone Know About Them??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default High Standard AR Anyone Know About Them??

Was looking at a bunch of M4 style AR's at a shop a couple days ago. They has Smiths, Rugers, Colts most of the big names. I saw one that had a flat top upper with the fixed front sight blade and a Magpul rear sight. The guy handed to to me and is was a High Standard! The rifle had great fit and finish and the price was $575.00!! Does any of you own one of these rifles or know the specs for it? At that price point I'm giving it some serious thought.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Traindriver,

I do not know that much about other parts used in the HS Rifles. But I do know that the receivers are made by the same company that makes receivers for many of the top AR rifle companies in the industry. So with that said, if the other parts are of good quality, barrel,parts kits and etc. You know it has an excellent upper and lower receiver.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Something like one of these - High Standard ?

I don't know anything about them but at $575 for an AR that is pretty cheap. It may be that they are top shelf but for the cost how disappointed could you be if it wasn't? Cycle it a couple times, break it down and put it back together, if the fit and finish are good like you say I would say buy it.

Here's a review of them - High Standard’s New AR-15 Rifles

Good luck

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes dog2000tj that would be the one.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sniper03 where can I find information on who makes the receivers??

Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Traindriver,

Since I am in the industry I must be somewhat conservative about releasing detailed information. However this company does not sell to anyone but those who are manufacturers and have contracts with them. They make receivers for about 10 AR manufacturers at the present. If you are going to build a rifle you can not go wrong with receivers from High Standard, Rock River,Stag Arms,Colt and some others.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure Sniper03 I can understand your position. I'm gathering information to decide if I may want to buy the rifle if the shop still has it after the first of the year. It looks like not too many people know about the HS AR but have a lot of negative opinions about the rifle. I asked the same basic question over on M4Carbine.net and you won't believe the amount of crap slinging that got started over there. But anyway thanks Sniper.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a theory!

If a black rifle as we call them is on reasonable quality, functions 100% of the time when you pull the trigger and would protect and save a life without question. It is a D____! Good weapon not mater if it has a C,R,S,D,L or other letter on it! On occasion there are incidents where any manufacturer will have a problem with a rifle. In these rare occasions it is what they do about it that counts and the fact that is is not a repetitive problem. For example I have several different brands of ARs and all of them are dependable. I do like my Rock River Elite Car A-4 since she is now about 8 years old and has around 30,000 round fired through her. And she has had about two or three malfunctions in her history. In all probability caused by a defective magazine or defective ammunition. I did re-barrel her about three years ago. And she shoots as good as new. 3/4-1/2 MOA Group at 100 yards off the bench and bags. I also like the limited lifetime warranty. But RRA is not the only company out there that produces a good quality AR. I have never owned a High Standard AR but I know where the receivers come from and they are top quality. If they are anything like the High Standard Victor 22 Target pistol I own has to be a reliable rifle. The Victor in past years took the second perfect score for 22 cal. metal silhouette in Indiana just too express it's quality. Please feel free to PM me if you choose or need any additional.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At that price, and knowing that the base components are of good quality, I'd grab one in a heartbeat. The review on Gunblast sounded very positive as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Something like one of these - High Standard ?
I don't have any hands on with the specific model but I'm sure we've all seen this brand. I remember they used to make really a affordable pump-action .22LR that was durable. I'll bet we wore the rifling out of my neighbor's out in the country side where I grew up.
My opinion of the UP side:
Looking at this from the websites posted specs...
"1/7 twist 4150 (cmv) material"
1 in 7 will stabiliize a pretty heavy bullet and is typically viewed as an upgrade. Probably somewhere along the line of the .77gr Sierra match load. The AR I built utilizes a 20'' 1 in 7 free floated barrel. I put it together for just that reason though. Other than that barrel, the rest of this upper receiver looks mil-spec.
Looking at this from the DOWN (lower receiver pun) side...
There is usually a reason if any company does not specifically call out that the rifle as an AR15 model. In this example I use THEIR designation of HSA-15. My guess (and since I don't have it in my hands, it is just an educated guess) is that this rifle's lower is not completely mil-spec. All this means is that you MIGHT have some problems down the road trying to locate specific replacement parts or upgrades. This is not a real deal killer though. It's not unheard of for a good smith or educated DIY'er to fab up a part or improve thier own action. I'll use Colt for an example here. They were notorius for using a different size hinge pin in their lowers. It is not a big deal though since you can buy an aftermarket pin or "sleeve" (not sure what the actual term is but that was essentually what it was) that would fix this.
Overall:
Since the upper receiver is what deals with the pressures and most of the abuse, I'd have to agree with most of these replys and say this looks like a good value, IHMO. Be sure and pay attention to details like the trigger group and such. It might be that they've substituted plastic for metal in some areas to save money. Give the takedown pin a push and take a look for yourself when you go back. (Before I buy any rifle or pistol, I usually research enough about it to at least know how it field strips and I break it apart at the counter.) Just don't pull the charging handle when you have it broke in half or you'll end up with the bolt group all over the floor. LOL

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!