Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 926 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 902

The specs look great and the price is good plus I've heard from many online folks I trust that Addax Tactical is a good vendor. But I'd rather know who made the BCG like MJ said because I'd only buy BCM, DD, Colt or LMT. I suspect that's exactly what this would be but I'd want to know.

Lately quality BCGs have been harder to get which may be the reason for the 20 day disclaimer.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The specs look great and the price is good plus I've heard from many online folks I trust that Addax Tactical is a good vendor. But I'd rather know who made the BCG like MJ said because I'd only buy BCM, DD, Colt or LMT. I suspect that's exactly what this would be but I'd want to know.

Lately quality BCGs have been harder to get which may be the reason for the 20 day disclaimer.
thoes are the main companys i was going to use, i just seen the bolt a carrier and was wondering if anyone one had ony luck.

what kind of barrel would you guys suggest to get? i will mostly be using the the ar for everything under 200yards. nothing crazy but i like a little challange sometimes. i have seen 100 dallor barrels and 800 dallor barrels. im just trying to narrow my selection down a little bit.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #43

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I cant remember if you were wanting to assemble the upper or purchase it pre-assembled. Either way DD makes a good barrels and uppers, BCM does as well. You should be able to get into either one of those for under $300. Noveske barrels have a great rep. but are toward the top of the price chain. As far as twist and profile, Ive really enjoyed the freedom of a 1:7 lightweight barrel. And a mid length gas system has worked well for me. There also seems to be a preference for chrome lining. Some say its pointless, more say its a must have. Mine are chrome lined, but who knows whats best. 16" is probably the most convenient length. I like 14.5 w/ a perm muzzle devise but it can be a pain when wanting to change things around.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #44

Liked 926 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I cant remember if you were wanting to assemble the upper or purchase it pre-assembled. Either way DD makes a good barrels and uppers, BCM does as well. You should be able to get into either one of those for under $300. Noveske barrels have a great rep. but are toward the top of the price chain. As far as twist and profile, Ive really enjoyed the freedom of a 1:7 lightweight barrel. And a mid length gas system has worked well for me. There also seems to be a preference for chrome lining. Some say its pointless, more say its a must have. Mine are chrome lined, but who knows whats best. 16" is probably the most convenient length. I like 14.5 w/ a perm muzzle devise but it can be a pain when wanting to change things around.
Ditto here... MJ and I both bought Daniel Defense LW CHF midlength uppers earlier this year, except I went with the 16" barrel. I had intended to get BCM but the end of year sale on DD was too good to refuse. Choose your barrel profile, length, twist, etc. then watch for sales on good uppers. Don't be in a rush, do your homework first.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #45

i will never be in a hurry, the barrel and gas system will be one of the last things to get for the upper end of april. but i will have the rest of the parts soon. im doing the upper build and then the lower, i have to wait for the reciever or the lower would be first!