here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington7mm View Post
i have another quick question for you guys, i have my foid and im 19 can i buy all the parts myself? im just wondering before i go about buying parts, i just dont want to wait 2 more years to get my hands on a part because ill prolly loose interest in the project. just a question that rised will going through some parts web sites.
You may have trouble buying a lower receiver unless you fill out the paperwork for "rifle" not "other" or "handgun". Just going by what I've heard, I also live in a free state plus don't know the federal regs for under 21.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Ive never lived in a communist state. Is it 21 for handguns and 18 for rifles?
correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You may have trouble buying a lower receiver unless you fill out the paperwork for "rifle" not "other" or "handgun". Just going by what I've heard, I also live in a free state plus don't know the federal regs for under 21.
well the thing is i have an xd45, if i need to use brivary again i gues thats what it is going to come down to because a simple 100 part isnt draggin me down lol do i willout that form (4479?) were its labeled as a rife then?

Last edited by remington7mm; 03-24-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #23

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
...well the thing is i have an xd45, if i need to use brivary again i gues thats what it is going to come down to because a simple 100 part isnt draggin me down lol do i willout that form (4479?) were its labeled as a rife then?
¿Repita por favor?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #24

when they fillout the registration form can you have them write rifel in there instead of reciever,handgun, part ect?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #25

also what is all of this gas block stuff that i hear of? i see the blocks, long silver tube looking things ect. all the diagrams that i come across i dont see the tube in. is the tube an optional part?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #26

dubble post

Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #27

The OLD 4473's used to just list the item being transferred as either a "Long Gun" or "Hand Gun". The current one lists the Type, manufacture and the SE# of the item being transferred.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default RRA 2 stage trigger LPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Quentin is telling right! It is a personal preference issue and you need to try both to see which one you like. I like the two stage per your last question for the following reasons.

1. It has a 1lb. Free Travel on the pull followed by a 3 1/2 lb let off.
2. This causing the trigger reset also to be shorter and faster. You only need
let the trigger go a short distance forward after firing the previous round
and you are instantly ready to go again. That was why the DEA and FBI
chose that trigger due to control and speed.
3. Which relates to total trigger control and you know exactly the second the
trigger is going to fire.
4. Also fast follow up shots and normally helps improve accuracy on precision
shots when you want that extra accuracy.
I am not saying that a good single stage is not accurate. But as stated
there is a broader margin of weight and function from one single stage to
another from the factory either in a complete rifle or in a kit purchase.
5. The Rock River 2 stage is prepared for rifles or for individual part sales by
an armorer at a bench and is simply a drop in if using the standard mil-
spec trigger and hammer pin hole receiver.
If you are going to build a lower receiver sometimes it is cheaper to get the kit with the standard Trigger and Hammer and then shop around for the RRA 2 Stage. If you shop you can usually locate the set for $100 and sometimes less. Compare to buying it as a kit form before you decide.
Sorry, I have used them since 2002 and really like them. I do have a JP trigger in my Sabre 6.5 Grendel Comp Varmint Rifle with K&S Anti Roll Pins. Nice set up also.
Good luck on whatever selection you decide upon. You always have our support here on the FTF!

I ordered a RRA lower PK w/2 stage trigger from Addax Tactical on sale for $140.00. The stand alone price for the 2 stage trigger is $120 to $125. Plan to install it in a Zombie Defense lower I have on order.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #29

thanks for all the great info guys, im going to start building the upper in the mean time seeing i have to wait to get the lower. i was wonder is there anyone that make a upper parts kits with all the little do dads with all the little pins and stuff im going to need or do i have to order all that stuff seperate? does any one have the list of pins and stuff im going to need if they dont have a kit with everything?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #30

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
thanks for all the great info guys, im going to start building the upper in the mean time seeing i have to wait to get the lower. i was wonder is there anyone that make a upper parts kits with all the little do dads with all the little pins and stuff im going to need or do i have to order all that stuff seperate? does any one have the list of pins and stuff im going to need if they dont have a kit with everything?
Go to the Brownells website...they have an entire series of free videos that you can watch online as well as complete diagrams of both the upper and lower with a listing of parts. Most manufacturers will sell kits or subassemblies that contain everything needed for a complete rifle (no lower), just a lower or just an upper. As previously noted Bravo Company, Brownells, DPMS, etc are good sites to start your research. There are also the various stickies in the AR section as well as the numerous posts from Mjkeat, JD, Sniper03 and Quentin, several of our more experienced AR gurus.

Schematics Home - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington