here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default here goes nothing, first ar and i decided to build

well im going to order my lower the weekend early next week. im going to go with theis compleate lower unless some one perswades me to get a different one. AR0990CX Rock River Arms Complete Lower Receiver NM Trigger with 6 pos stock

as far as my upper goes im not sure yet, im going to be doing some planking and want a good upper for 200 yards. i am looking at a 16inch barrel, but not set on it. any help here would be really appreachated. this upper maybe http://www.class3weapons.com/AR0840x_Rock_River_Arms_16_inch_A4_Entry_Tactical_ p/ar0840x.htm

but for now what are you guys thinking about my lower? i wanna get the lower out of the way so then im done dealing with the ffl bs. any constructive critism is welcome but NO bashing please!

Last edited by remington7mm; 03-23-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington7mm View Post
well im going to order my lower the weekend early next week. im going to go with theis compleate lower unless some one perswades me to get a different one. AR0990CX Rock River Arms Complete Lower Receiver NM Trigger with 6 pos stock

as far as my upper goes im not sure yet, im going to be doing some planking and want a good upper for 200 yards. i am looking at a 16inch barrel, but not set on it. any help here would be really appreachated. this upper maybe AR0840x Rock River Arms 16 inch A4 Entry Tactical Upper Half 5.56/.223

but for now what are you guys thinking about my lower? i wanna get the lower out of the way so then im done dealing with the ffl bs. any constructive critism is welcome but NO bashing please!
Why buy the parts separate? If you are not doing the actual build just buy the complete rifle...

If you are building a lower the RRA is not a bad choice. What you need to decide is whether you really need the 2 stage trigger for plinking, it adds cost with little benefit at shorter ranges for the average shooter. Some people just like the feel of it, that's a personal choice.

Another decision point is the stock. A collapsible stock is nice if you need variable length of pull for body armor, CQB, etc. For offhand or bench shooting a standard A2 stock gives a better cheek weld and a more stable hold; you ever see a hunting rifle or a sniper's rifle set up with a 6 pos stock?

One more thing to consider, do you want a carbine? Again you are giving up long range accuracy for transportability. A 20" bull barrel with a free float fore-end and a mid or rifle length gas system will outshoot a carbine all day long. It will be a bit heavier and bulkier but thats the trade off...

Hope I've been helpful...not trying to sway you one way or the other, just trying to help you decide based on what you want to do.

Rock River Arms: Predator Pursuit Rifle / Mid-Length

Rock River Arms: Entry Tactical

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Not a bad choice, Have you considered building one?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Why buy the parts separate? If you are not doing the actual build just buy the complete rifle...

If you are building a lower the RRA is not a bad choice. What you need to decide is whether you really need the 2 stage trigger for plinking, it adds cost with little benefit at shorter ranges for the average shooter. Some people just like the feel of it, that's a personal choice.

Another decision point is the stock. A collapsible stock is nice if you need variable length of pull for body armor, CQB, etc. For offhand or bench shooting a standard A2 stock gives a better cheek weld and a more stable hold; you ever see a hunting rifle or a sniper's rifle set up with a 6 pos stock?

One more thing to consider, do you want a carbine? Again you are giving up long range accuracy for transportability. A 20" bull barrel with a free float fore-end and a mid or rifle length gas system will outshoot a carbine all day long. It will be a bit heavier and bulkier but thats the trade off...

Hope I've been helpful...not trying to sway you one way or the other, just trying to help you decide based on what you want to do.

Rock River Arms: Predator Pursuit Rifle / Mid-Length

Rock River Arms: Entry Tactical

Well said, You caught me typing

Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For basically the same money.

Edit - actually cheaper than the rifles listed above.

Upper:

BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

BCM 16" Mid Length LIGHT WEIGHT Upper Receiver Group

Lower:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/bcm%20lrg%20blem%20order%20form.pdf

BCM Lower at G&R Tactical

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-23-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

For a lower I second what MJ linked, the BCM blem is a great deal and is built right. The receiver extension is milspec diameter so you don't get painted in a corner later (I think RRA uses the commercial diameter). You can get BCM's M4 stock for another $20 or could leave it off and buy a MOE or CTR instead.

His linked uppers are top notch too but as you said you're not ready yet to decide on that.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

as far as an adjustable stock, i want one because alot of people shoot my firearms there for id rather not see my 1100 dallor ar15 get dropped on the ground cause itsa a little long for smaller people or girls. You guys are giving me the feedback i was looking for with out some of the ****ty comments like others so thanks guys. after reading some comments, what should i be looking for in a lower? build or buy compleate. sounds like most of the building of an ar is from the lower? should i reconsider and just buy a compleate ar for my first and start building a BA one for later?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #8

If you are handy and think you can build it all from scratch, the yes do it that way. The feeling of pride when you tell peple that "I built This" is pretty cool but the best part is you start learning how the gun opperates right from the start. Lear all the components and then you get the itch to buy other components.

Here is a great link on building one and one everybody who is doing this for the first time should have bookmarked: Parts List and build instructionss

Good luck, have fun and post pics of your build.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The first thing I would do is take a look at the Stickied Threads at the top of this section. You will find several very helpful threads, some of them from people exactly where you are now and the builds they ended up doing themselves.

Of the parts you listed I don't see a reason to spend the extra coin on a NM 2-Stage trigger in a 16" Entry style gun. You aren't getting the true benefit of the 2-Stage as it's designed to be more of a target/varmint/tactical shooter support style trigger. 18", 20" barrel, longer range sort of thing.

MJ and Quentin love BCM, so don't be afraid to check them out, but don't narrow your focus too hard, it can cause eye strain.

As for what to look for in a lower. This has been discussed quite a bit, but as I like to poke the Interwebz Trolls, I'll say it:

A lower, is a lower, is a lower. Unless the lower is made from scrap lawnmower parts from Cletus' Garage and AR Accessoriez, you are going to be getting a simple part that holds all the components together.

I have said before I could build a lower out of plywood and get the gun to fire. Durability would be a problem, but really all the lower does is hold parts in close formation.

There are three types. Cast, Forged and Billet.

Billet is the most expensive, the most coveted and the biggest OVERDONE of all the lowers. They are the Ferrari.

Forged are pretty much the most common. They are everywhere and more like the F-150.

Cast is kind of the taboo, is it or isn't it, element. Opinions vary with this one, but if you get a good one, it will be fine. If you get one of the last ones they made before they scraped the mold and started a new batch run.... well, maybe not so much.

Here is a very good write up between the Forged and Cast done by Olympic Arms. Yeah, those guys, the ones that will leave you dead in a ditch if you buy their weapon according to SOME websites.

Olympic Arms, Inc. - Is my receiver cast or forged?

Good luck with your research and PM if you have any questions.

JD

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Id at least purchase the upper this go around.

Like everyone I was nervous my first time. I just eased in slowly then next thing you know I was pounding away. With my rubber mallet that is.

The hardest thing about assembling a lower is not loosing an eye and one of those small springs. I suggest a sterile environment. Maybe remove the furniture, carpet and any framed art work from the room you'll be doing all the work in. I just found a spring I lost last year under my desk, how the...

The thing w/ purchasing a lower from BCM is it'll be torqued/staked properly and the materials are of the highest quality.

Save yourself a little money and purchase the upper and lower separately.