Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help Sighting in BUIS/optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Help Sighting in BUIS/optics

Hey guys just wanted to ask what is the proper way to sight in iron sights and red dots? I don't have any fancy equipment so just the general way would be just fine. Also, is there a certain distance that it should be sighted at? Probably not gonna shoot it beyond 100yrds as it is primarily a HD weapon and don't have magnification so just hoping for great accuracy inside that range. I have troy flip up battle sights and an aimpoint h1 if that matters. Thanks for any info you have

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
Hey guys just wanted to ask what is the proper way to sight in iron sights and red dots? I don't have any fancy equipment so just the general way would be just fine. Also, is there a certain distance that it should be sighted at? Probably not gonna shoot it beyond 100yrds as it is primarily a HD weapon and don't have magnification so just hoping for great accuracy inside that range. I have troy flip up battle sights and an aimpoint h1 if that matters. Thanks for any info you have
There are dozens of sighting videos on Youtube, you can also get a laser bore sight which will get you "rough" sighted so you'll at least be on paper. Many choose to sight an AR at 50 yds...reason being is that the POI (point of impact) of the .223 round is almost the same at 50 and 200 yds due to the parabolic path of the bullet.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

There are dozens of sighting videos on Youtube, you can also get a laser bore sight which will get you "rough" sighted so you'll at least be on paper. Many choose to sight an AR at 50 yds...reason being is that the POI (point of impact) of the .223 round is almost the same at 50 and 200 yds due to the parabolic path of the bullet.
Thanks. I think I found a pretty good youtube video...just need to get the zeroing target now

Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Google should turn up a PDF of the M4 25 meter zero target. It can be used for a longer zero with a little thought.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

LaiePoi,

Jpyle and Quentin are on the money!
Here is a method I use.
1. Target at 25 yards to start. I shoot at the center of the target but the bullet should be hitting about 2 1/2 inches below center on the target at this point when close to a 100 yard Zero. I do this by taking a Bold Black Marker and putting a Cross on the target 2 1/2 inches below dead center on the target. When the impact is on the Black Cross I go to step #2, This is just to get it close when you move on out.
2. Move Target to 50 yards and tune it so the impact is in the center of the target
3. Move the Target back to 100 Yards for final adjustments.
I prefer a 100 yard Zero due to the fact most ballistics charts give various distance and bullet drop information based on 100 yards.
Then should you get an EOTech Holographic Sight or other sight just mount it on the rifle.
1. On the bench with good support dial the Reticle so that it rests on the top and in the middle of the front sight post.
2. Then finish Zeroing at 100 yards. By doing #1 it will be very close and at least on the paper. And you can fine tune at
that point!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great info guys! Don't know if I completely understand the bullet trajectory yet. So if I zeroed at let's say 100 yrds, then if I shoot anywhere closer like 25 yrds then I should expect it to hit low?

Is there some kind of chart that shows trajectory at different distances?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

LaiePoi

You are exactly correct! When your rifle is sighted in and Zeroed at 100 yards your rounds should be hitting the target low at 25 and in. The reason for that is at close range the line of sight looking through the sights will be around 2 1/2 inches higher than were the line of bore is. (The actual barrel) As we say at close range the line of sight and the line of bore are at different levels. I will do some research and find a chart for you.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
LaiePoi

You are exactly correct! When your rifle is sighted in and Zeroed at 100 yards your rounds should be hitting the target low at 25 and in. The reason for that is at close range the line of sight looking through the sights will be around 2 1/2 inches higher than were the line of bore is. (The actual barrel) As we say at close range the line of sight and the line of bore are at different levels. I will do some research and find a chart for you.

Ahhh i think I'm beginning to see the light now! So since the bullet has an arc, then shooting beyond 100 yrds (where zero'd) would make the POI higher until the bullet starts to drop which I'm assuming would be somewhere beyond 300 yrds....correct?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Ahhh i think I'm beginning to see the light now! So since the bullet has an arc, then shooting beyond 100 yrds (where zero'd) would make the POI higher until the bullet starts to drop which I'm assuming would be somewhere beyond 300 yrds....correct?
Exactly...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Take another look at JPyle's trajectory chart. If you zero at 100 yards, the rest of the trajectory, before and after is lower. At 300 yards you're getting nearly a foot low.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.