Help with raising my red dotp scope - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help with raising my red dotp scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

I have a set of BUIS coming tomorrow. My plan was to use the rear BUIS, the current front sight, and buy a riser for the scope. Since I don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I maybe making more work for myself than necessary.
Jon, if I go by what you are saying, I could use both BUIS, scope as it is, and ditch the current front sight. Would I want to replace the front sight with a mount for the BUIS, or does that go on the end of the upper? Two sights, and a scope seem like alot on the upper, but is that how most people do it?
How hard is it to remove that front sight?
Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6194 Times on 3262 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
I have a set of BUIS coming tomorrow. My plan was to use the rear BUIS, the current front sight, and buy a riser for the scope. Since I don't have any idea what I'm talking about, I maybe making more work for myself than necessary.
Jon, if I go by what you are saying, I could use both BUIS, scope as it is, and ditch the current front sight. Would I want to replace the front sight with a mount for the BUIS, or does that go on the end of the upper? Two sights, and a scope seem like alot on the upper, but is that how most people do it?
How hard is it to remove that front sight?
Thanks!
as AR go its medium difficulty but doesnt take long. you would need a gas block with rail to mount a buis front sight. if you got lucky and accidently ordered a rear that co-witnesses with the reddot your in luck you can use both at the same time. you would just need a matching front.

brownells has vids on how to diy a gas block swap.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Hey Jon- I was looking at Brownells site last night, and found the videos that you are talking about. There is a lot of good info, and changing the gas block looks pretty easy. He really recommends using the gas block tool, but I really don't want to spend $40 on a tool that I'll probably use once or twice. On the other hand, I don't want to damage the gun either, so I'll play with it today. I may run up to the GS today, and see if they have tools for sale. I need the wrench for the stock also.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6194 Times on 3262 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Good luck!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent