Help with raising my red dotp scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help with raising my red dotp scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Help with raising my red dotp scope

When I posted my AR build, I had a few items that people pointed out that were incorrect. One was how my scope was mounted to low. I didn't notice it, but in this pic you can tell its pointing about halfway down the front sight.

I took a look at it today, and the scope itself has no adjustments on it to raise it. Is there some sort of adapter that I need to get that goes in between the rail and the scope, or am I going to have to change the front sight? I do have some MBUIS coming in the mail, but would also like to still use this red dot. More pics.

Supposed to read "dot" in the title....

Last edited by dborns; 09-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

I just noticed that I deleted the pics in photobucket, so they are gone here. Anyway, without the pics, can someone tell me if there is a way to raise a red dot scope? Mine is to low and pointing to the middle of the front sight. The bottom of the scope is not adjustable.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

you probably need a new mount.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Yeah, I know I need a different setup, but is there some sort of extension I can buy that is adjustable vertically so that this thing is correct? Here is a pic I found of the setup, and as you can see it doesn't have any adjustability. Something that connects to the top rail and the scope?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

You can get a riser mount that goes between the receiver and the scope. You can get them with thumb screws or lever locks.
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=263&categoryId=222

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 09-13-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Add link

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #6

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You can get a riser mount that goes between the receiver and the scope. You can get them with thumb screws or lever locks.
Primary Arms AR15/M16 Flat Top Riser
Exactly what JTJ said. Either but a riser, or a new mount that co-witnesses on ARs

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dude! Don't you remember? I hooked you up with that link to Yankee Hill. That was just for starters - you need a riser you can get them anywhere just Google "Scope Risers"

OR

Go here and get a new red dot for about $175.00 if you shop around

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html?gclid=CMO6y6PQm6sCFec65QodihnRiA

But really all you need is a riser that fits the scope you already have.

Last edited by NOVA; 09-14-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8

I googled scope risers, and took a look at JTJ's link. I looked at a few different examples, and don't see a measurement on the height of these. Are their different sizes, or are all heights for the risers/ scopes/ front sights the same? As in, could different scopes, need different size risers to line up with the front sight? I could run home in the morning and get my AR and take it with me to the GS, but it would be easier not to do that as BPS is close to work.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

If the primary role is reddot scope ditch the front sight post go with a buis system and the dot setup you got now will work fine

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As low as that thing is sitting it looks like a BUIS would get in the way as well.

There are ways to get the optic higher but they look stupid. I tried it a while back and ended up wasting money.

I would almost suggest going w/ a primary arms micro dot and mount or a H1 w/ ADM or Larue mount.