Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help with quad rail choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Thanks Mr Wray...I'll check it out. I have seen it before but glad you give it a good review.

Nathantc and fCross7....nice looking rail, thanks.

So are those weapons both carbine length?

Okay, so my 1st question then is based on the front sight missing on those. Is it a simple procedure to remove the sight and then install a gas block to take it's place...... which essentially is the same thing just minus the sight riser?

It is very simple, 1 pin to remove the gas tube, 2 pins to remove the front sight base, and you're done. As far as the new gas block, they differ in how they attach, some use pins, some are a clamp style, and others have have set screws that tighten up against the barrel.

Yes, it's the same thing minus the sight.

When you order either of those guards, do they come with everything to mount them other than the gas block.......and is the gas block a painless deal to order? ie is it simple to figure out which one you need or are there a lot of size and shape configurations/choices to consider-based on individual models/manufacturers?

Not sure about the others, but the Troy TRX Extreme comes with the hand guard, 2 or 3 small rail sections, a new barrel nut that it uses to attach to the rifle, and a barrel nut wrench to attach the new barrel nut. The only thing you would need to buy if you don't already have one, is a barrel nut wrench to remove you're original barrel nut.

If you decided to go with a length that is longer than you're front sight base will allow, then you would need to buy a low profile gas block, and some type of rail mounted front sight, be it fixed or rail mounted. The low profile gas blocks cost anywhere from $30ish-$50ish. As far as which gas block you need, they come in different sizes, the one you need will be determined by your barrel profile. To determine the one you need, just measure the diameter of the barrel under the gas block, it would be best to use a caliper. .750 is the most common size.

I noticed the LMT hand guard that I handled at the store seemed a bit loose....it had play in it. With either one of these pictured, or any such as the MI that Mr Troy mentioned, does installation of them remove that slop or is it always there?

Most should be pretty solid. The Troy is, it's a one piece rail and has a clamp system that attaches to the barrel nut that snugs it up tight.

Thanks again everyone, you are being extremely helpful.
No problem, that's what we're here for.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"