Help please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Help please

Hey everyone I have a very annoying issue. When I reconnect my upper and lower receiver my BCG scratches my buffer what did I do wrong? It makes contact on the bottom of my BCG where the channel for the buffer detent is, and it starts to scratch about halfway down my buffer

image-3678033895.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

I would say that the tube was screwed in to far, but from the pic it looks like it is barely holding the detent in. Can you back it out a bit?Is you BCG and charging handle locked in? Try hitting you forward assist before assembling and see if the bolt is not seating in the barrel extension?Head spacing?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Cosmetic issue. It's normal for buffers to get scratched. Buffers get scratched up when you shoot a lot. If it really bugs you, you could try to smooth out the rear of the carrier, there could be a raised spot.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

locutus Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The buffer tube is backed out as far as it can go..so? And the bolt carrier still hits it just barly scratches but I feel like it will hurt me if I ever try and trade it

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960
The buffer tube is backed out as far as it can go..so? And the bolt carrier still hits it just barly scratches but I feel like it will hurt me if I ever try and trade it
No biggie, just replace the buffer, like Quentin said, it could be cosmetic if it shoots

Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

When I put my ATI .22 dedicated upper on, it does the same thing. It's never caused any issue during firing.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Its normal. Never seen an ar15 or m16 that didnt have wear marks on the buffer. Your just noticing it because your buffer is painted black instead of the normal silverish colour

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...