Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Help a newb with sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/help-newb-sights-76195/)

jpowell18 11-12-2012 03:57 AM

Help a newb with sights

Hello everyone,

First post here. I recently bought a Bushmaster carbon 15. Yeah I know plastic gun blah blah blah. I like it and as much as I get to shoot it works fine for me. I'm new to AR's and I'm not sure what sight to get. My only experience is with iron sights on my M1 Garand and Carbine. It came with a cheap Bushnell red dot site but I'm thinking I like a reflex with a 3X magnifier. This gun will mostly be for plinking but every now and then I'll hog hunt with it. Any recommendations? I'm on budget here so I don't need to spend more on the sights than the gun cost. I appreciate the help everyone.

JonM 11-12-2012 04:02 AM

vortex sparc or strikefire are both superb choices. ive got both and have used both on my model70 african express in 458winmag. they hold zero under extreme recoil.

great optics for a low price with a no bs lifetime warranty that follows the optic not the buyer. vortex is a wisconsin optics company. if you cant afford or dont want to pay for a aimpoint the vortex ones are a no brainer

GeneralPatton 11-12-2012 04:31 AM

I had the same issue. I liked the Magpul ones, but I didn't want to put $100 or more into them when I knew i'd add a good optic later, so I just put an inexpensive BSA red dot on mine.

Ultimate_sig 11-12-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpowell18
Hello everyone,

First post here. I recently bought a Bushmaster carbon 15. Yeah I know plastic gun blah blah blah. I like it and as much as I get to shoot it works fine for me. I'm new to AR's and I'm not sure what sight to get. My only experience is with iron sights on my M1 Garand and Carbine. It came with a cheap Bushnell red dot site but I'm thinking I like a reflex with a 3X magnifier. This gun will mostly be for plinking but every now and then I'll hog hunt with it. Any recommendations? I'm on budget here so I don't need to spend more on the sights than the gun cost. I appreciate the help everyone.

Eotech and Aimpoint are very good optics i have both and the reticle is very clear on both.

AgentTikki 11-12-2012 02:28 PM

Check out primary arms. They have a new long eye relief 3x magnifier.

AgentTikki 11-12-2012 02:29 PM

But honestly id be wary of putter a heavy optic on your plastic upper receiver rail. Its a known issue with the carbon 15.

Devin556 11-12-2012 07:02 PM

I used to have a NCStar 3x9-30 scope on my AR but I noticed that all my shooting is done between 25 and 75 yards. So I dumped it and now I have a 40 dollar BSA red dot and I love it. I've put over 400 rounds thru with it on there so far and it has held up and held zero. It all depends on what kind of shooting you will be doing though. All mine is close range and I'm rough on equipment so I won't spend more than a hundred dollars on a sight.

Roni976 11-13-2012 12:11 AM

I too was in the market for a new sight and found a UAG Tactical Holographic sight on amazon for $45, now i know what they say and i hear it from my brother that you get what you pay for but after maybe 20 rounds i had it sighted in no problem and was getting really good groupings at 100yds. After sundays shooting fun and about 400 rounds later it was still dead on. You can also choose between 4 different red sights and the brightness at noon was was only on 4 and i could see it with no problems. im pretty satisfied, but still saving up for the Eotech Zombie one :-)

Ruger52 11-13-2012 12:30 AM

I am using a sightmark Ultra Shot (SM14000) I was just shooting 25 to 50 yards getting sighted in and used to shooting the AR again. Yesterday I went out to the 200 yard range, and I was popping clay discs at 100 to 150 yards, almost first round everytime. And that is without a magnifier, which I picked one up this last weekend but have an issue with mounting. Once I get the magnifier on, I am sure 250 yard shots will be easy. This is coming from an older guy , with crappy eyesight.

My days of the 500 yard shot are long gone. :(

jpowell18 11-13-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
vortex sparc or strikefire are both superb choices. ive got both and have used both on my model70 african express in 458winmag. they hold zero under extreme recoil.

great optics for a low price with a no bs lifetime warranty that follows the optic not the buyer. vortex is a wisconsin optics company. if you cant afford or dont want to pay for a aimpoint the vortex ones are a no brainer

I'm liking these vortex optics. I really like the way the magnifier swings out of the way. Thanks for the help everyone.