Help with new build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help with new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well I can't speak for Quentin, but I am sure he will be along shortly.

RGuns has a like/HATE relationship with customers around the internet. We have never done direct business with them, so I can't say one way or the other.

On the surface the product itself (receivers) seem to be of the same or equal caliber/quality as the endless collection of others out there. They use an undisclosed aluminum, AL being common in receivers, but it doesn't appear to be named (7075 for example is listed on the sites' Delaware Machinery offerings). They list a ton of receivers with 8625 Mil-Spec coating, but that doesn't really tell me WHAT they are coating, so I am a bit curious.

They don't have a FAQ on their site, but their e-mail and phone number is clearly listed. With that, I would ask a few questions before placing an order (material, warranty, etc.)

As for around the internet I have read people that have had good customer service (with issues) and people who have had nightmares with real or imagined issues.

The products itself seems to work well with fit and finish (assembly) but seems to struggle with operation WHEN there are issues. Reports I have read range from really helpful to outright discourteous.

Now I subscribe to the theory that if you understand the platform, and you have a decent to good quality parts list, you should be able to make it work.

I don't personally see anything about RGuns that would have me shy away from ordering if the answers on material and warranty were satisfactory and if the price was right.

Good luck.

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Dillinger,

Greatly appreciate the feedback here. I may just spend a few more bucks and go with a Spike's lower. Whether I put in my own parts kit of order complete, seem that they cannot be beat.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
Dillinger,

Greatly appreciate the feedback here. I may just spend a few more bucks and go with a Spike's lower. Whether I put in my own parts kit of order complete, seem that they cannot be beat.
No worries PSG. I don't think that you would encounter a problem with RGuns version to be honest. With the tolerances in modern machining/metal working, it would be more of a fluke to get a receiver component that was SO far out of spec as to cause significant issues.

Worst case the lower has holes that are slightly off or the mating with the upper doesn't quite match up? Neither is fatal, but both can be a pain in the rear to deal with. I suppose you could have an interior that was so far out of spec that the hammer would not have room to go all the way back, but that would be really easy to fix with a Dremel, honestly, and would be a world class EFF UP in production.

Spike's really has a good reputation and that is a company I have personal experience with, so I can't really say anything negative about the choice.

Either way I am betting you would be able to build a decent and reliable AR on any choice lower/upper. The number of troubleshooting hours might vary though and how can you put a price on time at the bench versus time shooting?

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

JD!!! Glad to see you blew the dust off the keyboard and on the forum for a few min. Hope life is treating you well.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #15

JD, thank you for your input. I was looking for sound advice from people like yourself and Quentin. Decisions decisions ....

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant
JD, thank you for your input. I was looking for sound advice from people like yourself and Quentin. Decisions decisions ....
So sad i wasnt included. Just kidding. Have fun!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Palmetto State Armory sells excellent lowers at competitive prices. You can get their PSA crossed cannon roll mork, or for a little more coinage can get a variety of roll marks. Website says out of stock right low.

PSA has lower parts kits on sale right now with free shipping.

Zombie-Defense.com offers a cool roll mark, imo. YMMV

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7inqrtZPIygA.qZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnR lBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11i89cn3d/EXP=1339498346/**http%3a//www.zombie-defense.com/

Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #18

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
JD!!! Glad to see you blew the dust off the keyboard and on the forum for a few min. Hope life is treating you well.
Yes, megadittos! Very glad to see you here, JD, and hope things are going well.

PSG, good advice from JD. I also don't have first hand experience with Rguns so would verify they use proper parts. I also would demand a mil spec diameter receiver extension of 7075 T6 alloy and I bet an H buffer would work well with your upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Good to see you too. I still lurk, but I got an e-mail asking me to stop by and offer a few insights on the AR stuff, so here I am.

Quote:
No problem PSG. There are lots of good posters and a good collection of knowledge on this site. Just don't get caught up in the "newer, flashier, shiner' and approach this like you would any other reasonable purchase and I am sure you will be happy with it.

I would suggest building your lower though. It's a great experience and it will give you a real understanding of the inner workings, so then when people are talking about this product or that product you will be able to see the merit or BS from up on high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yes, megadittos! Very glad to see you here, JD, and hope things are going well.
Yes Quentin things are progressing and thanks for holding down the fort. Hope things are well in your realm as well.

JD

Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #20

Got my spikes lower all together today, just waiting on my DD V5 lightweight, MBUS sights, a dozen pmags, and STR stock to arrive. Excited about this rifle ! Also went by the National Guard armory and got a box full of GI mags ! For free !

image-1666723709.jpg