Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help with new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default Help with new build

Guys,

I have 4 rifles currently, and I am selling all but one of them to build myself a really good rifle. I found a good deal on a Daniel Defense V5 upper ($835 OTD w/ 3 pmags) and need suggestions on lowers. From what I understand, any Mil Spec lower is going to be all about the same. Then Just need a lower parts kit to throw in it and a stock. This is my first build and I am looking to build one quality rifle. I am not trying to start any on going discussions on this, just looking for help from those on here that are very familiar. I appreciate it !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Nice upper, cant go wrong with DD! Yes you need a milspec lower with a good lpk. The supply of lowers are getting low.. so they are hard to get. Go with the rollmark you like best otherwise PSA lower is good. I highly recommend PSA lpk with ALG combat trigger. Happy hunting & building

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Q started up a nice thread...
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

If you have some time, check out the roll marks and see which ones you like! Then try and track them down.

For the most part most forged lowers are going to be about the same. So long as they are milled within tolerance you aren't gonna see much of a difference.

Some forged lowers are going to have better fit and finish than others. Some others might have little differences such has flared mag-wells , tensioner bolts to remove upper and lower play, and amibidexerous controls.

If you are looking for a budget build, check out PSA and Aeroprecision.

Billet lowers have much cleaner lines, are usually a bit heavier (but not necessarily stronger). Some have the aforementioned extras all are more expensive than most forged counterparts.

Happy hunting! Don't forget to post pron!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #4

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Excellent choice in an upper. You're correct that you can go with just about any stripped lower receiver, most are milspec and made of 7075-T6 alloy. I would suggest choosing one that you'll be proud of and has enhancements like a flared magazine well. BCM comes to mind and they sell slightly blemished complete lowers for around $300. Some people like billet lowers and if you're military you might like Quentin Defense (no relation!) military editions. I have the US Army edition and have a thread with more info.

As far as the LPK, there are many good choices. Sometimes you can find DD's kit for about $80.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Thanks guys, some good quality advice here. I am not prior service, but would like a good looking roll mark. Any suggestions on a place to get an stripped lower with a nice rollmark? Reasonably priced please. Also, from what I see, the price on the upper is a good price, am I right?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Your upper is in a decent reasonable price. As long as its not past $900 or $1k . Try gunbroker.com & aimsurplus.com for Spike's lowers. Sorry i dont know where to look for other brands lowers as i only like Spike's lowers . Or u can even order straight from Spike's IF u dont mind waaaaaittttiiinnnng. They are backlogged with orders.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #7

My Daniel Defense upper is on a S&W lower which is a great physical fit and the finish matches almost perfectly. Sometimes you can find their stripped lowers for $100-130 and they come with a great rollmark plus flared magwell. I call that AR my Dan Wesson.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
My Daniel Defense upper is on a S&W lower which is a great physical fit and the finish matches almost perfectly. Sometimes you can find their stripped lowers for $100-130 and they come with a great rollmark plus flared magwell. I call that AR my Dan Wesson.
Dan wesson, I like the way that rolls off the tounge ! Any suggestions on stocks? I know it's user preference, I just want something that is light and comfortable.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #9

I'm a fan of the Magpul CTR (and STR if you want a better cheek weld). Both are fairly light. Lots of great choices though.

______

Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'm a fan of the Magpul CTR (and STR if you want a better cheek weld). Both are fairly light. Lots of great choices though.
Quentin,

Are you familiar with RGUNS complete lowers? Looks like a decent buy for a complete forged lower, in color of choice, w/ a Magpul CTR stock for $295 or $320 w/ a stainless steel trigger... any thoughts?