Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help! Need AR Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help! Need AR Advice

I would like to buy my first AR and looking for suggestions on what manufacture/model or what upper/lower combo I should buy.

This is such a generic thread but looking for some different ideas to have some basis to research. I'm just overwhelmed with all the different combos out there.

The gun will pretty much just be a range gun. No competitions, not really home protection, just a general take to the land and target practice with.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrow View Post
I would like to buy my first AR and looking for suggestions on what manufacture/model or what upper/lower combo I should buy.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2122

(When you have a few minutes, scan some of the earlier threads in this forum. A lot of experienced people have already written useful stuff. )

Quote:
This is such a generic thread but looking for some different ideas to have some basis to research. I'm just overwhelmed with all the different combos out there.
There are some brands of uppers and lowers that work best (or at all) mated to parts made by that same manufacturer. Usually, though, you should be able to buy parts made by different manufacturers and they should all fit together and work fine.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you can start with a basic reciever for as little as $129 bucks and go up from there, all depends on how you want to build it and what name ya want stamped on it

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am more into bolt guns, but do have a RR. I bought it with the 20 in. heavy barrel and 6 lbs. of lead in the stock, just over 16 lbs. without ammo. Heavy than I wanted for a coyote gun, so I bought another RR upper with a flat top and then took the frount sight off and mounted a 3 x 9 Leupold scope on it, the ideal gun for shooting at coyotes in frount of dogs.
Again I`m not an expert on AR`s, but want my gun to be accurate and as I understand it RR is the only manfacture that will guarentee accuracy, that why I got a RR. From what I hear form guys who`s oppenion I respest the only other AR I would consider is a Bushmaster.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

Default Help Need AR Advice

After over 20 years of owning and shooting AR style weapons I would advise you to go with Rock River Arms.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:

The gun will pretty much just be a range gun. No competitions, not really home protection, just a general take to the land and target practice with.

Thanks!
After over 20 years of owning and shooting Ar/M16 type weapons I would advise you to go with Rock River Arms. Quality 2nd to none and they back up the talk with the walk. Standard 20" A-2 or flat top model will shoot MOA or they will fix or replace it no ?'s asked.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ford or Chevy? Apples or Oranges?

That's about all it comes down to. As long as you stick with a reputable brand, you should be okay. Sure, some will profess to be experts, or know all about the latest piece that was just reviewed in the latest issue of Arm-Chair Commando, or "know someone who knows someone who once dated someone who's cousin dated a self-confessed "spec-ops Delta Force/CIA operative" who only recommends brand-x for all his operative work.

Stay with known brands, do a little research on-line for gun tests performed by known experts, go to a range that might have AR's to rent, or go to a local gun range where someone might even let you shoot a few rounds out of their's. Then decide how much you want to spend, what type of AR you need, or the look you are trying to achieve, the options you might want, etc. That will at least get your feet wet as to how much these can cost.

On the other hand, if you are just getting into the AR scene, do you really need all the gear that you see on some of the pics on some forums? All the doo-dads do a few things guaranteed...lighten your wallet, and increase the weight of your new toy. It's all in what you want.

By the way...there are a few companies who will guarantee their accuracy. Keep in mind, this is accuracy guaranteed as long you do your part with breathing, sighting, trigger control, ammo, etc, etc, etc.

I've been shooting for longer than I care to talk about. No, I'm not an expert, I learn something new everyday...sometimes even in forums I do own a few AR's, as well as the collection of other "evil black guns", from a variety of manufacturers. Sure...some have been more reliable than others...but I don't think there is anyone out there who hasn't had a lemon or two...even Fords and Chevy. Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Price wise...check out some of the magazines like Shotgun Review, etc. to see what AR's are going for in different parts of the country. Keep in mind that buying on-line requires that you have the gun transferred to a local FFL dealer in your area, which usually requires a fee for his service. Another option is to go to a local gun show in your area. Gun shows often have some pretty decent deals and alot more variety than you might find in a local store. And if you work it right, you can sometimes get the price down to what is affordable for you.

As for manufacturers, like I said earlier, if you stay with a reputable brand, you should be okay. It used to be said that one should stick with the A,B,C's - Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt. One would still be safe with any of those 3, but there are so many new players in the market that shouldn't be disregarded either. DPMS, often gets a rap from folks for whatever reason, but none that I have found to be true or experienced in any of the 6 that I own. Not that 6 firearms is a true representation of their overall quality, but in my case, they were purchased over a 10 year span, and have had ZERO malfunctions of any sort. Stag is another new comer, making excellent quality pieces in right or left hand configurations, if that is something you might need. Rock River is also an excellent make, putting out some very nice pieces. I do like their firearms, but am not a total devotee as some. Yes, the fit between their receivers is tighter than almost anyone else in the field, and if that is what you need, then there it is. But some of the old timers will also tell you that is not necessarily a good thing at times either. Sabre Defense, LMT, CMMG, JP, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, the list goes on and increases daily. All are fine firearms, as long as you do your part, too, maintenance, ammunition selection, etc. Price wise, you can build one from a kit or put together a complete upper and complete lower for less than $700. Complete rifles usually start above that and can go as high as your wallet or second mortgage might allow. First decide what your price cap will be, then it makes it easier to decide on which way to go, even though it might be nice to have brand xyz's ultra-uber tacticool model. The nice thing about the AR is, you can save up the pennies to build even the most basic of models up into that ultra tactical model that you've always drooled about. All it takes is $$$ But to start, know that most of all the entry level AR's out there, again from a reputable manufacturer, will do what you want it to do.

My first AR was a Bushmaster that my wife actually bought for me as a X'mas/birthday/father's day gift a long time ago. I still own it, and it has never failed to go bang, even with 5000 rounds through it. It is joined in the safe by a few other Bushmasters, Armalites, Colts, DPMS, Rock River, Wilson, Stag, and quite a few that I have put together from parts. Sure, every now and then you run across a part that could have been machined a little better or the hole was a little tight, but nothing I have found so far that would indicate any kind of a trend by one manufacturer versus any of the others, and nothing that could not be easily remedied, or fixed/replaced by said reputable manufacturer.

By the way, not taking anything away from Rock River, but it is interesting to note in their catalog and site, yes the 20" NM with a NM trigger will shoot MOA or better. But their PRO series AR's that cost almost 2x more are only guaranteed to 1 1/2 MOA?? I'd have to go with the Les Baer, at least they GUARANTEE that their's will shoot 1/2 MOA.

Good luck on your choice and welcome to the world of AR's

Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #9

Another vote for RR. I picked up a flat top 16" from a friend of my brothers for a price I could not say no to.

The sucker is well put together and I have yet to have any issues with it. Granted I only have about 300rds through it total.

My little brother got into ARs last summer and really went nuts. His first was a Bushy M4 style 14.5" with hider. He liked it and had no issues with it.

Then he started to build his with parts he likes. So far he has 5 rifles done with various parts. I believe most of the lowers are Armalite. I believe he runs mostly Armalite uppers as well, but recently picked up a Noveske to finish a build.

***Edit, he used Anvil Arms lowers and Armalite uppers***

If you are smart about it, you can take your time and find deals or specials. He is debating building a Mega next.

Last edited by balloo93; 02-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #10

As stated above, there are several "reputable" makers, but choosing an "economical" brand does not always mean choosing a poorly made component. I have guns from RR and Stag that shoot well. I also have two lowers from Essential that were very cheap. The finish on the Essential's is not as clean, but they are no less reliable. As long as the lower is mil-spec there shouldn't be many issues. The biggest thing I see overlooked is the upper, as that is where function and accuracy problems almost always lead. If you're going to build a parts gun on the cheap, I can say through personal experience that Model 1 Sales has excellent prices and I have not had any reliability issues. I have a Model 1 16" upper on a Stag lower that has gone head to head with, and outshot, several RR and Colts. It provides more than acceptable accuracy (roughly 3" at 200 meters with open sites) for it's intended purpose and was less than half the price. The best low buck AR I can come up with, again, for defense/ utility use is a Stag lower that I paid $110 for and a complete "kit" from Model 1 that was $480. So for less than $600 it is possible to build a quality rifle/ carbine. It may not say "Cotl's Manufacturing" on the side, or be used by the DEA, but that doesn't matter to me if it shoots well, and it does. Just my opinion. Good luck.