Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Help on minor issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/help-minor-issue-58795/)

nastyogre 02-26-2012 03:17 AM

Help on minor issue

I just got done test firing my first AR build and the bolt won't stay back after the last round is fired. I checked the mags and they're fine. I don't think it could be the bolt or buffer being too heavy because it cycles just fine. If I pull the bolt back and hold the catch out then it will hold but only until I take my hand away, then it slams home again. I'm thinking the spring on the bolt catch is too strong? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :-)

purehavoc 02-26-2012 04:11 AM

Take a couple turns back out of the bolt catch assembly , spring might be compressed to tight .

mjkeat 02-26-2012 04:28 AM

I don't believe there's anything to turn w/ the bolt catch. You're probably thinking about the mag catch.

OP, I'll get one out and see ass soon as all the cops leave. Drug bust 2 houses down. The same guys that may have vandalized the wifes car a few nights ago. Don't want them coming to the door w/ it our :)

nastyogre 02-26-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
I don't believe there's anything to turn w/ the bolt catch. You're probably thinking about the mag catch.

OP, I'll get one out and see ass soon as all the cops leave. Drug bust 2 houses down. The same guys that may have vandalized the wifes car a few nights ago. Don't want them coming to the door w/ it our :)

I was thinking the same thing but it's been years since I built the lower so I didn't remember if there was an adjustment. It's a Fulton armory lower ( read Cali legal) with a dpms lpk(crap I know). :-)

Jpyle 02-26-2012 04:54 AM

Couple things to consider...are the proper spring and detent installed? Did you dry fire the gun with the upper removed and let the hammer slam the bolt catch, is the any noticable bend or misalignment. Any visible damage to the roll pin, is the release square to the slot in the lower and free to move without excessive force? That pin can be a real nutbuster to install, too much force can damage the pin or the release tab itself.

Unpin the upper and insert an empty mag...you should see the follower force the catch up, when you press the release there should be visible downward movement. I can't imagine that the bolt catch spring would be stronger than the mag spring, certainly not enough to offset the designed purpose of the follower, maybe its just a bit stiff.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/a.../boltCatch.gif

mjkeat 02-26-2012 04:59 AM

Just took a look and can't think of a reason why it's doing what it's doing. The force from the buffer spring pushes the bolt against the bolt catch holding it up which stops the bolt from closing on the chamber. If the spring is to strong, like you eluded to, then it could possibly force the bolt catch back despite the bolt riding up against it.

Jpyle 02-26-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 720705)
Just took a look and can't think of a reason why it's doing what it's doing. The force from the buffer spring pushes the bolt against the bolt catch holding it up which stops the bolt from closing on the chamber. If the spring is to strong, like you eluded to, then it could possibly force the bolt catch back despite the bolt riding up against it.

I was thinking what he meant was that the spring is to tight to allow the follower to push the catch up to stop the bolt so it just passes right over the catch.

purehavoc 02-26-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 720685)

Yup , my bad on that one, too many beers last night , :D
Maybe your California spec lower isn't made to stay open. Just a thought although I wouldn't think it would work like that

mjkeat 02-26-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 720731)
I was thinking what he meant was that the spring is to tight to allow the follower to push the catch up to stop the bolt so it just passes right over the catch.

I'm a little confused. He mentioned if he activates the catch manually it will lock the bolt back but when he lets go the spring pushes the bottom of the ping pong out dropping the catch allowing the bolt to slam home. On mine friction hold the catch in place. It is just a guess but I figure if the spring was to strong it would over power the friction b/w the bolt and catch. Add the bolt and mag follower together and you'd have enough to over power the spring.

nastyogre 02-27-2012 05:15 AM

Sorry for the confusion, the only way the bolt will stay open is if I hold the catch and pull the bolt back. The friction and follower are not enough to overpower the spring in the catch(I think). I will take the catch off when I get the chance and figure out what's up. I've tried gi mags and a brand new pmag and neither one had a strong enough follower to hold it open. Thanks for the help guys. :-)