Help me I'm sick...... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help me I'm sick......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Man, that avatar - wow! Uh... kinda drifting here... what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, magazines! The springs in good magazines can be compressed indefinitely so you can store them loaded extended periods safely. What wears out magazines is use and abuse. Sitting in a safe loaded for years is just fine. Springs lose their "spring" by being cycled countless times. Staying compressed doesn't have much effect at all. As far as polymer vs USGI there's not as much long term data on plastic but odds are they'll do just fine. Loaded GI mags have held up fine for years.

Does she have a phone number?

Last edited by Quentin; 06-24-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Man, that avatar - wow! Uh... kinda drifting here... what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, magazines! The springs in good magazines can be compressed indefinitely so you can store them loaded extended periods safely. What wears out magazines is use and abuse. Sitting in a safe loaded for years is just fine. Springs lose their "spring" by being cycled countless times. Staying compressed doesn't have much effect at all. As far as polymer vs USGI there's not as much long term data on plastic but odds are they'll do just fine. Loaded GI mags have held up fine for years.

Does she have a phone number?
Thanks Quentin good to know. Probably a bit more effective than storing the ammo in boxes (space wise I mean). Yeah ain't she something? If you want some more check out the Clash of The Titans and Prince of Persia

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

It bears noting, and I hope IGETEVEN stops by to weigh in on this, but real world operators RARELY, if ever, load their mags to capacity. It is always capacity minus one, or two.

Helps with reliability and function. This from guys who have been there and done that.

JD

Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It bears noting, and I hope IGETEVEN stops by to weigh in on this, but real world operators RARELY, if ever, load their mags to capacity. It is always capacity minus one, or two.

Helps with reliability and function. This from guys who have been there and done that.

JD
you speak the truth, i was at a tactical shoot last weekend, mags loaded to the top, and I had 2 issues with the mag seating properly, I think 27 or 28 is probably enough

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always split each box of 50 among 2 30 round mags, meaning 25 in each. Keeps the mag springs fresh and gives me a consistant number for count. Also lets me keep an easy count on ammo needs as long as I keep an even number of mags.

Last edited by moshpit; 06-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

JD
"Quoted for truth!"

I was trained and continue to this day, to load minus two to prevent "BOBO" (bolt over base override). Some people load to capacity with no malfunctions, but I have personally seen what happens in the heat of the moment with full mags and will continue to light load my mags and give a good slap to seat . Personally, I won't take the risk for two more rounds, when I have more mags loaded. You won't miss them two rounds if you are keeping on target.

Good magazines and springs will service you for years, even when stored loaded for over a long period of time, but even then, I deduct two less from capacity. That's just me, YMMV.

I know all of you rotate, use and shoot up them stored loaded mags no longer than every six months anyway....right?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you, IGETEVEN. You certainly validated my stance on keeping mags loaded a little light.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:

JD
I have downloaded to 28 with GI mags for sometime. Helps when seating mag while doing a tac reload(bolt closed)
With the Magpul P-mags I was doing the same, but then found this was not necessary.
The 30rd p-mags will actually hold 31 rounds , so I just load 30 and I have had no issues.
They seat with 30 as easily as if you had 20 rounds in them.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 06-24-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I know all of you rotate, use and shoot up them stored loaded mags no longer than every six months anyway....right?Jack

I have heard people talk about rotating mags every six months. Could some one explain this indepth? I don't really understand it.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
I have heard people talk about rotating mags every six months. Could some one explain this indepth? I don't really understand it.
It means either use a loaded mag within 6 months or unload and reload it. Rotating just means make sure it gets used in that period or pull it from the ready stack and cycle the ammo in it, out and then back in.