Help Me Bulid An AR - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Help Me Bulid An AR


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Havoc, I'd love to know how you did those for less than $800.
__________________
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

W/ building yourself wanting quality parts I was able to get as low as $824 w/o optic or MBUS.

Spikes Upper Receiver - $99.95
Spikes LE LW Mid Barrel - $189.00
Spikes MPI/HPT BCG - $109.95
VTAC Alpha Rail - $189.00
A2 Birdcage Flash Hider - $6.25

Spikes Lower Receiver - $89.99
PSA Lower Build Kit - $139.99

Total = $824.13

If you go w/ a MOE HG over the VTAC rail you'll save $159.

If you order the upper from PSA and assemble one of their lowers you can save even more. PSA has started building complete lowers as well. Rainier Arms sells nice complete lowers for $325.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

I realize the 22 was just for visual reference but I wanted to raz you a little.

$875 is completely doable. Does that include optic? What style of optic, red dot?

Let me work up a nice parts list.
I gotcha. Hard for me to catch humor on forums, especially when there are trolls lurking sometimes.

The price is not considering an optic. Honestly, as inexpensive as possible while keeping decent quality would be preferably. I'm thinking the RIA 1911 of ARs.

Specifics will definitely help as far as parts, price, and where to locate.
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I second the MOE+ pistol grip its really nice and comfy in the hand.

The Magpul K is too small / thin for me. I wear large/x large gloves and this think is tiny. My wife is 5'2" and says its comfy for her. I really think it was designed for smaller frames as its overall size and grip angle seem to be designed for them. On smaller people the LoP is shorter so their hand is closer to the body. At that distance a steeper grip angle is more ergonomic.

I'd seriously consider a LW profile if you're gonna be huffing it around to. Might I suggest the Sampson Evolution 12.37" free float tube only 11 ounces with all the additional hardware! (I like the Rainer Arms version of this too, its a tiny bit lighter and looks nicer imho) I've gone out a couple times with my RUC and I'm really glad that its fairly lightweight. I did have to huff it a bit because portions of the private land I was on were inaccessible by vehicle.

For a hunting rifle, maybe you can forgo BUIS, I don't think your really hunting dangerous game. Well.....hogs have been know to charge.

Do you reload?
I have smallish hands. I wear size medium gloves.

Yes, I reload.
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I gotcha. Hard for me to catch humor on forums, especially when there are trolls lurking sometimes.

The price is not considering an optic. Honestly, as inexpensive as possible while keeping decent quality would be preferably. I'm thinking the RIA 1911 of ARs.

Specifics will definitely help as far as parts, price, and where to locate.
What do you think of Pure's PSA?

Honestly Olympus, I would recommend purchasing a PSA upper and assembling a lower if you're really wanting to wrench around. By the time you get the proper tools rounded up you may end up spending more to assemble the pieces. There are pieces that need properly torqued, springs to lodge in your eyeball or lost in the carpet.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
W/ building yourself wanting quality parts I was able to get as low as $824 w/o optic or MBUS.

Spikes Upper Receiver - $99.95
Spikes LE LW Mid Barrel - $189.00
Spikes MPI/HPT BCG - $109.95
VTAC Alpha Rail - $189.00
A2 Birdcage Flash Hider - $6.25

Spikes Lower Receiver - $89.99
PSA Lower Build Kit - $139.99

Total = $824.13

If you go w/ a MOE HG over the VTAC rail you'll save $159.

If you order the upper from PSA and assemble one of their lowers you can save even more. PSA has started building complete lowers as well. Rainier Arms sells nice complete lowers for $325.
I like that. Still tracking down some parts, and it's going to be a part here/part there build, but it is definitely in the range I am looking at. Only thing I am not able to find right now? Where'd you find that barrel? Got a link?
__________________
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

What do you think of Pure's PSA?

Honestly Olympus, I would recommend purchasing a PSA upper and assembling a lower if you're really wanting to wrench around. By the time you get the proper tools rounded up you may end up spending more to assemble the pieces. There are pieces that need properly torqued, springs to lodge in your eyeball or lost in the carpet.
I like the PSA, but I'd rather have an upper without the front sight. Don't know what they offer or if the front sight can be removed from the barrel.

Would it be easier to buy the lower receiver locally since I could bypass the FFL transfer fee from buying online?
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 383
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Okay, I've decided to take the leap into ARs. Since I was looking for a new hobby, I figured building an AR would be a great little starter project. I know absolutely nothing about ARs so please be easy on me. But I'm wanting to get all the parts and pieces that I will need for a finished rifle. Then I can start reading, researching, and watching various videos about building. I have been looking through all kinds of photo threads of ARs to see what style and design will fit my need. I will post a photo of what I think will be best for me.

I think most importantly to consider is that the finished product will NOT see any kind of harsh conditions and a "combat quality" rifle isn't something I want to shell out a bunch of cash for. Primary purpose will be range fun and the occasional head shot on a hog once a year when we go hunting.

Top tier brand names mean nothing to me. I'm looking for decent quality parts that will function under easy circumstances and will be fun to build and shoot. I'm not going to be shooting thousands of rounds a year through the gun. I understand that it might be cheaper to buy a complete rifle and just change out the parts I want, but I want the "build" aspect this time.

The finished rifle needs to be a flat-top 16" upper with no front or rear sight. I will pretty much always have some kind of optic on it. And I will probably get the Magpul back-up sights for it. I will also be putting a Magpul collapsible stock and grip on. But those should be easy for me to locate. I just need help on what else I need to buy to end up with a rifle in the configuration of the one in the photo here. Keep in mind, decent quality parts that are affordable but not "junk". What do I need and where should I buy from?
I got a 90 $ lower (s&w on sale!) I found a website that walks you through it. I'd build the lower and buy a couple uppers. 6.8 spc would be great on hog!
Btw, I got the magpul furniture as well.
Ledbetter84 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I like the PSA, but I'd rather have an upper without the front sight. Don't know what they offer or if the front sight can be removed from the barrel.

Would it be easier to buy the lower receiver locally since I could bypass the FFL transfer fee from buying online?
I've shaven the front sight post on a couple of ARs. It's easy to do w/ a dremel. You can also get a low profile gas block to replace the FSP. Then you just slide the rail onto the barrel nut.

I do believe PSA offers different rails in a drop down window.
__________________
“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,301
Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Are there any uppers that can be bought without the front sight from other manufacturers?
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads