Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Help Me Bulid An AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/help-me-bulid-ar-60085/)

Olympus 03-12-2012 08:59 PM

Help Me Bulid An AR

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I've decided to take the leap into ARs. Since I was looking for a new hobby, I figured building an AR would be a great little starter project. I know absolutely nothing about ARs so please be easy on me. But I'm wanting to get all the parts and pieces that I will need for a finished rifle. Then I can start reading, researching, and watching various videos about building. I have been looking through all kinds of photo threads of ARs to see what style and design will fit my need. I will post a photo of what I think will be best for me.

I think most importantly to consider is that the finished product will NOT see any kind of harsh conditions and a "combat quality" rifle isn't something I want to shell out a bunch of cash for. Primary purpose will be range fun and the occasional head shot on a hog once a year when we go hunting.

Top tier brand names mean nothing to me. I'm looking for decent quality parts that will function under easy circumstances and will be fun to build and shoot. I'm not going to be shooting thousands of rounds a year through the gun. I understand that it might be cheaper to buy a complete rifle and just change out the parts I want, but I want the "build" aspect this time.

The finished rifle needs to be a flat-top 16" upper with no front or rear sight. I will pretty much always have some kind of optic on it. And I will probably get the Magpul back-up sights for it. I will also be putting a Magpul collapsible stock and grip on. But those should be easy for me to locate. I just need help on what else I need to buy to end up with a rifle in the configuration of the one in the photo here. Keep in mind, decent quality parts that are affordable but not "junk". What do I need and where should I buy from?

BenLuby 03-12-2012 09:08 PM

I am still getting my ducks in a row on a build, but one thing I've learned on here? Your idea of 'reasonable cost' may be entirely different than someone else idea of it, and the AR you have pictures of? That appears to be an upper end, but I'm sure one of the AR guru's will arrive shortly. Biggest thing I noticed is your 'annual hog killer', which I seriously think would rule out the 5.56 round.
I'd like to see someone well versed in this go over the different calibers for hunting purposes (coyote, hog, deer, etc.) so the builders/wannabe's can get a better idea.

mjkeat 03-12-2012 09:20 PM

The S&W 22 pictured would be great for the range but wouldn't get you far with the hogs lol.

Something similar in 5.56 with the right load would be perfect IMO.

The heart of an AR is the barrel and bolt. Don't skimp on those. I would go with something chrome lined. I like the lightweight profile. Light and plenty accurate. Bolt Carrier Group, BCM, one of the best you can get and only $139.

Receivers are a toss up 90% of the time. As long as they are in spec pock the one you think looks cool. Now what you put in them matters. Get a quality lower parts kit. PSA sells one at a good price. Buffer tubes/receiver extension, think mil-spec.

Stocks. I just picked up a Magpul STR. It is very comfortable, still light, and has a great cheek weld.

The Magpul BUS are good. The MOE grips are nice but the K and + grips look promising.

Rails. I personally like the Troy tubes. They are not expensive but are of great quality. They are also light and perfect for the way I grip it with my off hand.

mjkeat 03-12-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby
I am still getting my ducks in a row on a build, but one thing I've learned on here? Your idea of 'reasonable cost' may be entirely different than someone else idea of it, and the AR you have pictures of? That appears to be an upper end, but I'm sure one of the AR guru's will arrive shortly. Biggest thing I noticed is your 'annual hog killer', which I seriously think would rule out the 5.56 round.
I'd like to see someone well versed in this go over the different calibers for hunting purposes (coyote, hog, deer, etc.) so the builders/wannabe's can get a better idea.

5.56 is a good round for coyotes and will take hogs. I wouldn't personally use it on deer.

In the AR world I've found $800+/- a little to be reasonable for a quality AR. But I have also found that price doesn't always mean a lot. There are some low quality rifles that sell for over $1k and high quality ARs that go for $700 to $900 and a couple decent ARs like the S&W Sport for $600.

BenLuby 03-12-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 738136)
5.56 is a good round for coyotes and will take hogs. I wouldn't personally use it on deer.

In the AR world I've found $800+/- a little to be reasonable for a quality AR. But I have also found that price doesn't always mean a lot. There are some low quality rifles that sell for over $1k and high quality ARs that go for $700 to $900 and a couple decent ARs like the S&W Sport for $600.

That's what I've noticed as well. I'm starting to order a bit here and there to begin my build, and I'm going to just go with the 5.56 build. My .270 is plenty good enough to give Bambi a bad day, so I just want to build a plinker.
Reading up, again, on the AR's, and think I'm going to have a reasonable (700-900) build that will do what I want.

Olympus 03-12-2012 09:33 PM

Okay, don't literally take the image posted as what I want exactly. Just use it as a style. Collapsible stock, flat top upper, back up sights, no front sight, that style of handguard, etc.

Caliber will be 5.56 for sure. I've been hog hunting for 4 years now and only take head shots. 5.56 does a good job from past personal experience. The end rifle will see NO other kind of hunting. Let's not digress into the 5.56 vs such and such animal argument if possible. It won't even be an option to consider.

I'm thinking overall budget of up $850 on this thing, possibly $875. It's not going to see enough use to justify spending more.

mjkeat 03-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
Okay, don't literally take the image posted as what I want exactly. Just use it as a style. Collapsible stock, flat top upper, back up sights, no front sight, that style of handguard, etc.

Caliber will be 5.56 for sure. I've been hog hunting for 4 years now and only take head shots. 5.56 does a good job from past personal experience. The end rifle will see NO other kind of hunting. Let's not digress into the 5.56 vs such and such animal argument if possible. It won't even be an option to consider.

I'm thinking overall budget of up $850 on this thing, possibly $875. It's not going to see enough use to justify spending more.

I realize the 22 was just for visual reference but I wanted to raz you a little.

$875 is completely doable. Does that include optic? What style of optic, red dot?

Let me work up a nice parts list.

BenLuby 03-12-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 738153)
I realize the 22 was just for visual reference but I wanted to raz you a little.

$875 is completely doable. Does that include optic? What style of optic, red dot?

Let me work up a nice parts list.

I can't wait to see that list. You going to include brands in order of preference?

AgentTikki 03-12-2012 09:58 PM

I second the MOE+ pistol grip its really nice and comfy in the hand.

The Magpul K is too small / thin for me. I wear large/x large gloves and this think is tiny. My wife is 5'2" and says its comfy for her. I really think it was designed for smaller frames as its overall size and grip angle seem to be designed for them. On smaller people the LoP is shorter so their hand is closer to the body. At that distance a steeper grip angle is more ergonomic.

I'd seriously consider a LW profile if you're gonna be huffing it around to. Might I suggest the Sampson Evolution 12.37" free float tube only 11 ounces with all the additional hardware! (I like the Rainer Arms version of this too, its a tiny bit lighter and looks nicer imho) I've gone out a couple times with my RUC and I'm really glad that its fairly lightweight. I did have to huff it a bit because portions of the private land I was on were inaccessible by vehicle.

For a hunting rifle, maybe you can forgo BUIS, I don't think your really hunting dangerous game. Well.....hogs have been know to charge.

Do you reload?

purehavoc 03-12-2012 10:01 PM

I have less than $800 in either one of these including the optics . Palmetto State Armory and quality has been top notch so far . I have the magpul MOE+ grip on the red dot and I really like the rubber feel of it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...AG0203-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...IMAG0196-1.jpg