"Help" from the LGS - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "Help" from the LGS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I agree w/ the LGS employees. They think they know quite a bit. As the kids say, "FAIL!" I have to tell myself to play dumb and just listen when I go in gun stores.

Parts counters: Here in KS I have never had a problem as a customer. However when I worked at one the branch manager was an arrogant prick. It got so bad I walked out. HR quickly called after account customers made a big deal about it. When I said I wouldn't return if the manager remained they offered to transfer him. I said no thank you, damage done. In general parts stores from AutoZone to the dealerships are GTG.

Like in all areas of life there are bad apples. LGS just happen to be the exception. There is the occasional good guy.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 776 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I've been on both sides of the counter. As an employee AND a manager. I've never understood the attitude some people take toward their customers. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

This notion people have today....

SALESMAN #1: "can you believe the morons who come in here? They don't know ANYTHING."

SALESMAN #2: " I KNOW!!! I had to explain to that couple why our product is something they should spend their hard earned money on!!!

SALESMAN #1: "geez...what do these people think, that we're paid to be here and actually do something to help them?"

And that's some argument you have there, EW. I don't agree with you, so that means I've never been to a parts counter? Really? I've opened businesses, I've ran businesses, and I currently manage 45 employees, along with every dime it costs to keep them employed. The ones with the attitude illustrated above don't work for me long. Maybe it's that attitude that was responsible for the "19 year old" being more successful at sales than you.

Just an observation .
Also having been on both sides of the counter I've got to agree with Chandler here. I see a lot of arrogance on the seller's side that drives me away to another store or to making an online purchase. No doubt lots of customers are driven away by this behavior. I always tried to have patience when I supported a large computer network but some users did get to me though usually I was the support guy that people liked and asked for. It just takes two way conversation, give and take. You can't be taken advantage of but you must give your best. And you can't develop an arrogance that angers customers.

As a customer today I'm most annoyed by sales and support staff that obviously have taken the Cliff's Notes path and think they know more than I do. Lost sale every time.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 117 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I've been on both sides of the counter. As an employee AND a manager. I've never understood the attitude some people take toward their customers. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

This notion people have today....

SALESMAN #1: "can you believe the morons who come in here? They don't know ANYTHING."

SALESMAN #2: " I KNOW!!! I had to explain to that couple why our product is something they should spend their hard earned money on!!!

SALESMAN #1: "geez...what do these people think, that we're paid to be here and actually do something to help them?"

And that's some argument you have there, EW. I don't agree with you, so that means I've never been to a parts counter? Really? I've opened businesses, I've ran businesses, and I currently manage 45 employees, along with every dime it costs to keep them employed. The ones with the attitude illustrated above don't work for me long. Maybe it's that attitude that was responsible for the "19 year old" being more successful at sales than you.

Just an observation .
Of all the points you made above there is only one I will argue with. That is the beleif that "the customer is always right". Thats B.S. ! The customer is not always right. The customer is always the customer and as such deserves to be treated fairly and with respect. But when a customer demands things that are unreasonable they need to be shown that and offered a fair and reasonable option to their demands. If thats not possible I tell them to find somewhere else to shop. I tried to survive at Circuit City but the corporate culture there was "Exceede the customers expectations 100% of the time". After a few years they had raised customer expectations to such an unreasonable level they were hemoraging at the returns counter.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #24

Liked 3201 Times on 1912 Posts
Likes Given: 2271

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
Of all the points you made above there is only one I will argue with. That is the beleif that "the customer is always right". Thats B.S. ! The customer is not always right. The customer is always the customer and as such deserves to be treated fairly and with respect. But when a customer demands things that are unreasonable they need to be shown that and offered a fair and reasonable option to their demands. If thats not possible I tell them to find somewhere else to shop. I tried to survive at Circuit City but the corporate culture there was "Exceede the customers expectations 100% of the time". After a few years they had raised customer expectations to such an unreasonable level they were hemoraging at the returns counter.

EDUB
i've been on both sides of the counter in many situations.

and yes, customers can definately be jerks sometimes. and sometimes, they need to be told to leave. (i've seen some very satisfying instances of this

and of course NOT ALL gun stores or GS employees display this attitude. many are very good. i know of a small "mom & pop" GS that resides fairly close....the owner is the nicest and most helpful guy i ever met.

unfortunately though..... based on percentages, in my experience, GS employees are among the most snobby and least helpful employees in any industry i have ever dealt with.

just MO.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i've been on both sides of the counter in many situations.

and yes, customers can definately be jerks sometimes. and sometimes, they need to be told to leave. (i've seen some very satisfying instances of this

and of course NOT ALL gun stores or GS employees display this attitude. many are very good. i know of a small "mom & pop" GS that resides fairly close....the owner is the nicest and most helpful guy i ever met.

unfortunately though..... based on percentages, in my experience, GS employees are among the most snobby and least helpful employees in any industry i have ever dealt with.

just MO.

CC did have a good return policy but so does Best Buy and others. I kinda think there just wasn't room for both CC and BB in this economy. Sad because I liked things about both. Same with LGSs you have to offer something special these days. Expert advice would be good but it's harder than ever to find these days.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

EDUB
Oops, meant to quote this post not Hawkguys! Harder to fix on my wife's toy iPad.

______

Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Speaking of "Customers are always right", i'd say.. true but it doesnt happen all the time. We in this world sometimes happen to be the buyer or the seller. Things can happen in any directions. All i can say, try our best to hold our anger in regardless whether we are the seller or buyer, at the end of the day, we still need each other. Remember tomorrow is another $.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1213 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Please tell us how it is you believe that this buffer produces a "louder, boomier report". What aspect of the buffers function has been changed that produces these results? I'm pretty sure it's at the wrong end of the gun to produce the effect you described. I'll give you a reduction in "sproing". Only because I cannot in my mind come up with a clear reason why it could not. On the other hand I would really like to laugh or learn something today, so please elaborate on the "boomier report".

EDUB
well, i know it sounds odd and far fetched. i even went and asked my wife what she thought of shooting her rifle with the standerd buffer and spring vs the new one. her response was the same as mine. im not sure if the heavy buffer makes more gas escape through the muzzle brake due to more resistance or what. but it did take our rifles report from a crack, to more of a thud when being fired. and thats pretty much the best i can do to explain it.

on a side note it seems as though the discussion was more about LGS and service than buffers. my bad if i read into the thread the wrong way.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 06-17-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 117 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
well, i know it sounds odd and far fetched. i even went and asked my wife what she thought of shooting her rifle with the standerd buffer and spring vs the new one. her response was the same as mine. im not sure if the heavy buffer makes more gas escape through the muzzle brake due to more resistance or what. but it did take our rifles report from a crack, to more of a thud when being fired. and thats pretty much the best i can do to explain it.

on a side note it seems as though the discussion was more about LGS and service than buffers. my bad if i read into the thread the wrong way.
It's all good. I enjoy good debates and technical discussions. This forum has both from time to time.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #30

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
CC did have a good return policy but so does Best Buy and others. I kinda think there just wasn't room for both CC and BB in this economy. Sad because I liked things about both. Same with LGSs you have to offer something special these days. Expert advice would be good but it's harder than ever to find these days.
I refuse to shop Best Buy...15 years ago I purchased my wife new Maytag front load washer and dryer from my local BB. They were running zero percent financing for 12 months which sounded great. The problem was the fine print. If you were 1 day late on your payment your zero % jumped to 24.99% retro back to the full purchase price. They then compounded the difficulty by ensuring you did not receive your monthly bill until a day or two before payment was due so your only choice was to make your payment in person, at the store, each month!

Fortunately my wife did not work a had time to do this. Each month she dragged both kids down to BB pay the bill until it was payed off. Despite having on time receipt for everything, corporate BB still tried to add the interest to our account twice which required hours of headache to straighten out. They never did get the interest from us and never again had us as a customer.

Silver lining...my local BB in Vancouver WA JUST CLOSED IT'S DOORS...

Good I say...Eff them guys!

Tack