You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

"Help" from the LGS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

most times i already have in mind what i am looking for in a gun store, so i have already done my research and in pretty much a buying mode. if a salesman tries to sell me other than what i want, or tries to make me feel as if i don't know what i am talking about. i say thank you and have a nice day and leave. i will take my business elsewhere. that is why i drive as far as i do to the LGS i do most of my business with. they are not always cheaper on gun accessories and ammo, but the prices on the guns is great, the customer service is great, and the owner is very knowledgeable without being a know-it-all.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Liked 355 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
oh common!!! the sproing is awesome. i been shooting ar's since the 80's and it never gets old
EXILE MACHINE TWANG DANG SWEET RECOIL SOUND AMPLIFIER
$149.99
AR-15 Buffer replacement amplifies the twang for our customers who can't get enough of the sweet sound of the recoil spring Twang.
Just replace your existing buffer with the TWANG DANG, and you will experience an 85dbA increase in twang sound pressure level (SPL). (Dang! it's loud!)
The sound is transmitted directly to your bluetooth-enabled electronic muffs (or similarly-enabled hearing aids) via bluetooth wireless connection.
For customers who do not use electronic muffs or hearing aids, we have an optional bluetooth cassette tape boombox adapter so you can set your boombox on your bench so everyone else can hear the amplified twang too.
The TWANG DANG is also perfectly matched to our ROKK STOKK 300W STEREO amplified A2 stock.
In live fire tests of our prototypes, we found a marked improvement in the ability of the shooter to hear the twang.
(Use of boombox not recommended at a public range. Nearby shooters may confuse your amplified twang with the unamplified twang of their own weapons.)

Brought to you by the good folks of ExileMachine.com
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-twang-dang-sweet-recoil-sound-amplifier-638.html
twang_dang_prototype.jpg  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 134 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 23

THAT ! My friend, is some truly funny stuff.

EDUB

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
this is all too common in gun stores i'm afraid. in texas, most folks are polite and helpful in retail stores. gun stores are sadly, almost always, an exception to that rule .

i have a local GS that has very good prices due to incredible volume. but the last thing i will ever do there again is ask for help or suggestions. 50% of the employees are snide, dismissive, and Know-it-alls. a very poor reflection on shooting sports imo.

thankfully, living in the information age, you really don't need to speak to these guys at all. i just research on my own & tell them what i want.
Man, that is the damned truth!! It's my experience that 99% of SHOOTERS I encounter at the range are friendly and pleasant. You run across the occasional tool, but they are the exception. OTOH, the LGS's are the exact opposite. And for what reason? I've never seen the likes of an industry that is so sh!tty to customers. I have one LGS that I deal with, because they for the most part are glad you are there. One guy is an ass, but Ijust don't deal with him. The only down side to this store is everybody feels the same way I do about them, so they are always PACKED. Maybe 1800 - 2000 sq ft store, and never less than 50 shoppers. Usually far more. Go into another LGS, and there might be 10 people shopping when they are "busy".

I can't understand it.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Tikki, you really outdid yourself this time!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I've never seen the likes of an industry that is so sh!tty to customers. I have one LGS that I deal with, because they for the most part are glad you are there. One guy is an ass, but Ijust don't deal with him.

I can't understand it.
Maybe it is a result of the type of people that are attracted to guns and sales. Think about it. Someone who is a good sales person is necessarily an extrovert. An extrovert that is attracted to the gun culture is many times going to be an ALPHA DOG type personality. Those two together are not usually a good thing. They will try to Impress you with their knowledge (baffle you with bull sh*t) more often than not. They have a cursory knowledge of all the products in the store and very little indepth knowledge about any of it. A customer comming in to buy a specific gun either knows nothing or everything about it. People at the gun store are first and foremost SALES PEOPLE. If they are straight comission the situation only gets worse.

When I got out of the Navy (1992) I worked at Circuit Ctiy for several years selling computers (think 486's, DOS 6 and Windown 3.1). My Navy job was in electronics and computers. In my sales job, the best sales people were the ones who knew nothing or very little about computers. The two of us that had strong knowledge spent most of our time educating people who knew nothing, including co-workers. I literaly had customers say to me " What button do I push to make it do something?". The customers that knew what they wanted (had researched) came in pointed and said "I want one of those". Simple and quick. The simple and quick were few and far between. A knowledgable sales person will end up spending more time educating a customer than selling. Thats great for the customer but bad for the sales person and the store owner. Soon the knowledgable sales person gets frustrated that he's not making money while the snot nosed teenager is raking it in. At which point he will stop answering questions and seem like the biggest A** in the store. (Do I sound bitter? LOL)

I guess it boils down to, the uneducated can sell more to the uneducated because neither one knows better.

I personally don't go to the gun store for advice. I go there to buy stuff. I come here and to other forums for advice. I ask questions. I question the answers that I don't understand or that some how defy logic. I try to sift through the BS and look for a consesus. If an SME decides to chime in all the better.

Sorry for the rant......But I feel better now

EDUB

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 06-16-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066

Maybe it is a result of the type of people that are attracted to guns and sales. Think about it. Someone who is a good sales person is necessarily an extrovert. An extrovert that is attracted to the gun culture is many times going to be an ALPHA DOG type personality. Those two together are not usually a good thing. They will try to Impress you with their knowledge (baffle you with bull sh*t) more often than not. They have a cursory knowledge of all the products in the store and very little indepth knowledge about any of it. A customer comming in to buy a specific gun either knows nothing or everything about it. People at the gun store are first and foremost SALES PEOPLE. If they are straight comission the situation only gets worse.

When I got out of the Navy (1992) I worked at Circuit Ctiy for several years selling computers (think 486's, DOS 6 and Windown 3.1). My Navy job was in electronics and computers. In my sales job, the best sales people were the ones who knew nothing or very little about computers. The two of us that had strong knowledge spent most of our time educating people who knew nothing, including co-workers. I literaly had customers say to me " What button do I push to make it do something?". The customers that knew what they wanted (had researched) came in pointed and said "I want one of those". Simple and quick. The simple and quick were few and far between. A knowledgable sales person will end up spending more time educating a customer than selling. Thats great for the customer but bad for the sales person and the store owner. Soon the knowledgable sales person gets frustrated that he's not making money while the snot nosed teenager is raking it in. At which point he will stop answering questions and seem like the biggest A** in the store. (Do I sound bitter? LOL)

I guess it boils down to, the uneducated can sell more to the uneducated because neither one knows better.

I personally don't go to the gun store for advice. I go there to buy stuff. I come here and to other forums for advice. I ask questions. I question the answers that I don't understand or that some how defy logic. I try to sift through the BS and look for a consesus. If an SME decides to chime in all the better.

Sorry for the rant......But I feel better now

EDUB
I think you've over-thought it a bit. I'm not talking about them being helpful or not. I'm talking about the fact that they are a$$holes.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe, but if you have ever worked the other side of the counter you might see where that train of thought came from.

BTW if you think that gun shops are the only ones like this......you havent been in an auto parts store lately...or ever for that matter. Try going to a dealership parts counter some day. You might appreciate the gun store guys a little more after that.

EDUB

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 06-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #19

Liked 355 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 51

i'm gonna agree with you on that...most sales counters have people like that.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066
Maybe, but if you have ever worked the other side of the counter you might see where that train of thought came from.

BTW if you think that gun shops are the only ones like this......you havent been in an auto parts store lately...or ever for that matter. Try going to a dealership parts counter some day. You might appreciate the gun store guys a little more after that.

EDUB
I've been on both sides of the counter. As an employee AND a manager. I've never understood the attitude some people take toward their customers. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

This notion people have today....

SALESMAN #1: "can you believe the morons who come in here? They don't know ANYTHING."

SALESMAN #2: " I KNOW!!! I had to explain to that couple why our product is something they should spend their hard earned money on!!!

SALESMAN #1: "geez...what do these people think, that we're paid to be here and actually do something to help them?"

And that's some argument you have there, EW. I don't agree with you, so that means I've never been to a parts counter? Really? I've opened businesses, I've ran businesses, and I currently manage 45 employees, along with every dime it costs to keep them employed. The ones with the attitude illustrated above don't work for me long. Maybe it's that attitude that was responsible for the "19 year old" being more successful at sales than you.

Just an observation .