"Help" from the LGS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "Help" from the LGS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default "Help" from the LGS

I stopped by the LGS looking for a heavy buffer for my Rock River. When I told the employee I was looking for 1 to smooth out the recoil I was told all I needed was a different spring. He then told me that the heavy buffers were for rifles not carbines. All this while holding a carbine heavy buffer. I may be new to ARs but I do know the differece between carbine and rifle buffers. This is the same guy who once told me not to buy ammo from Walmart due to expiring primers. I did not buy the buffer from him, wanted as much for an unknown buffer as a Spikes H2. On the plus side he did GIVE me a carbine length spring so now I have an extra. I think I've made my last trip to that store!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Stocks-Grips-Handguards-s/6.htm

scroll down all the different weight buffers currently in stock. they got lightspeed shipping

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The guy at your LGS is mistaken, ignorant, stupid, and idiot or all of the above. If you find you have to go to that gun store again......AVOID THAT DUMB A**.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Plenty of other stores here in CO. That one is on my list to avoid. If they hired the guy I talked to the rest of them may be just as bad. He even offered to "tweek" my AR if I brought it in!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Liked 3028 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

this is all too common in gun stores i'm afraid. in texas, most folks are polite and helpful in retail stores. gun stores are sadly, almost always, an exception to that rule .

i have a local GS that has very good prices due to incredible volume. but the last thing i will ever do there again is ask for help or suggestions. 50% of the employees are snide, dismissive, and Know-it-alls. a very poor reflection on shooting sports imo.

thankfully, living in the information age, you really don't need to speak to these guys at all. i just research on my own & tell them what i want.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

check these out.

www.heavybuffers.com

they are little expensive but man. im running both the rifle, and carbine lengths in my wifes and my rifles. they give reduced recoil, and a louder, boomier report. in my case these buffers have also greatly reduced my sproing noise..

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
check these out.

www.heavybuffers.com

they are little expensive but man. im running both the rifle, and carbine lengths in my wifes and my rifles. they give reduced recoil, and a louder, boomier report. in my case these buffers have also greatly reduced my sproing noise..

Please tell us how it is you believe that this buffer produces a "louder, boomier report". What aspect of the buffers function has been changed that produces these results? I'm pretty sure it's at the wrong end of the gun to produce the effect you described. I'll give you a reduction in "sproing". Only because I cannot in my mind come up with a clear reason why it could not. On the other hand I would really like to laugh or learn something today, so please elaborate on the "boomier report".

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Generally a fairly laid back person- however, i DO recall one visit to a large gun shop. Clerk asked what i was looking for- told him I was looking for a box of uncommon ammo- needed a box of .32 Short Colt revolver ammo.

With a bit of a sneer he tossed a box of .32 S&W on the counter, and advised me it did not matter what make of gun or what barrel length.

Smiled, told him I needed something else. Leaned over the counter and asked- "Could you please see if you have anyone working here that has the intelligence to LISTEN TO WHAT THE CUSTOMER ASKED?"

He looked kind of stunned. "The .32 Short Colt is the name of a cartridge, not a description of a gun. It is not a .32 S&W cartridge. If I had wanted .32 S&W, I would have asked for it. .32 Short Colt is a smaller diameter than .32 S&W, and is identical to an obsolete round called the .320 European Revolver cartridge. Now, do you want to go find someone to help me, or should I go looking for them?"

Manager was nice guy- asked what in the world I was shooting .320 Euro in, and gave me a second box free. When I left he had the Counter Cowboy headed towards the back room.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

We have a gunshop that is set up to tailor to the more tacticool crowd. I like many of the guns and supplies they carry but the owner is very opinionated.

I was looking at a 1911 Springfield and he kept trying to push me toward a Taurus. I used to work in a gun range/shop when I was going to college and we sold a lot of Taurus guns. We also sent a lot of Taurus guns in for repair. So, I guess I've become very opinionated myself.

Then I brought a friend in to look at an AR and the shop had just received 10 Carbon 15 ARs. He kept pushing my buddy toward that Carbon 15. So, I pulled out my iPhone and started scrolling through some pictures of broken Carbon 15 uppers and lowers because he said I couldn't prove that it was a bad idea to make receivers out of plastic to the same dimensions as an aluminum receiver without adding reenforcement to certain thin areas of an AR receiver. He shut up and left us alone after that. I only go there now to put my hands on guns before I order them from another shop with a more down to earth owner who also has better prices.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
Please tell us how it is you believe that this buffer produces a "louder, boomier report". What aspect of the buffers function has been changed that produces these results? I'm pretty sure it's at the wrong end of the gun to produce the effect you described. I'll give you a reduction in "sproing". Only because I cannot in my mind come up with a clear reason why it could not. On the other hand I would really like to laugh or learn something today, so please elaborate on the "boomier report".

EDUB
oh common!!! the sproing is awesome. i been shooting ar's since the 80's and it never gets old

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...