Help! I don't know what to buy!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help! I don't know what to buy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help! I don't know what to buy!

I hope this isn't posted in the wrong area.

I need some major help!! I am getting married in a few weeks to a great guy. He is a serious gun enthusiast. I would really like to buy him an AR 15 as a wedding present. My dilemma is that I have no idea what to buy and no idea where to buy. I recall him once saying something about the .22 conversion for an AR, correct me if I am wrong. I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to guns.

He currently owns:
S&W Hammerless revolver
Glock 17
NAA Magnum Mini revolver
Kimber 1911
Marlin Rifle
Shotgun
2 other revolvers

Sorry I can't be accurate on names and calibers.

I really am looking to find out what I should be looking for in a decent AR. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are many here who will jump in and help you out. Just give them time to see your post.

And do a quick "drive-by" on the Introductions thread and I'm sure you'll get all the support you need! You seem like you'll be a very good wife!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Why buy a .22lr conversion when you can get a dedicated rifle?

SmithWesson-MP15-22

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #4

Well, There are variants of the AR-15 chambered in different rounds, I know of only 2 other rounds besides the standard .223, I have heard of a 9mm and a .22 variant.
I know S&W sell a .22 Variant called the M&P 15/22. It looks like a good little rifle.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=751501&sec tionId=10002

I think winchester may sell a .22 variant (I'm not 100% sure) But according to somethings I've heard the M&P 15/22 is much better.

Though I would just get a .223 becuase If you want a .22 you should get a normal one.. I don't see the point in spending $400-700 on a M&p 15/22 vs. $150-$300 on a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin model 60.

Last edited by Jeehs; 12-30-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Price

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are too many unknown variables here. Does he want a .22LR version of an AR-15, or does he want a "real" .223/5.56 AR? Even then there are too many variations.

I would suggest that you figure out how much money you want to spend on this, and then get him a gift certificate good at your best local gun shop. Then HE can choose what he really wants.

TXnorton

Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Stag Arms makes a good, solid reliable AR-15 and they tend to be inexpensive relative to other AR manufacturers. This particular model is a good start -- usable out of the box and easy to upgrade if desired.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #7

the model 2 is a great rifle.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #8

Thank you all for you help.

I do not think he cares if he gets a .22 conversion for the AR. He just mentioned it once and I figured I would see what the experts had to say about it. He already has a .22 handgun, so I don't think it's an absolute must.

Price really doesn't matter to me. I guess $1000 is enough. I would prefer to get him a gun than a gift certificate.

Do stores normally carry ARs? Do I need to order one? I only have 2 and 1/2 weeks. If anyone knows of any stores in Houston, TX, please share.

TY!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
Do stores normally carry ARs? Do I need to order one? I only have 2 and 1/2 weeks. If anyone knows of any stores in Houston, TX, please share. TY!
Most gun stores in Houston will carry AR's. Try:

Carter's Country,
Any Academy Store
Pruitt's
Class 3 Rock River Arms National Stocking Premier Dealer

Just call around and see what they have in stock and at what price. You may find an AR for $1,000. Prices are coming down and availability is increasing.

TXnorton

Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

I will add a little to this thread from my perspective, which is also very new to the ar-15 platform, but owned many firearms for 50 years. I read as much info as I could on this forum and others to find out what was the best first ar-15 for me. So maybe with a little input you can make your own decision to give your loved one a good starting point for the rifle. If you research a little bit the better mfg should be evident. There are many mfg's that make good rifles.

I say starting point because there are so many additions and variations that he will probably want to add/make as he gains experience with this weapon. My suggestion is to buy a basic a2 flattop with a rear iron sight in either of two basic types depending on how you think he will want to use the rifle. #1 could be a standard length rifle with a 20" barrel which would be used as a longer range target or varmint gun. #2 may be a short m-4 carbine with a 16" barrel which would be useful for fun plinking at shorter ranges, or home defense/survival type situations. Then he can modify the rifle to his hearts content with optics, slings, magazines, floating forends with picatinny rails to add many other doodads. One of the additions could be the .22 rimfire conversion that can be used with the ability to go back to the original .223/5.56 chambering when not shooting .22.

Good luck and many happy years in your marriage. Wyatt

Newest Threads