help choosing a barrel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > help choosing a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Default help choosing a barrel

Ok, here's my dilemma...I recently traded my way into another AR rifle...they're addicting and I've owned many over the years. This rifle is a home built job with an Anderson lower and a ptac upper. The upper is a 16 inch heavier SS barrel mid length. Now because in my head I'm the best shot in the entire world and can kill a coyote at 600 yards, open sights and with an AR I think I may need a barrel that is of better quality (I hope you all can read the sarcasm there). What I'm thinking is a 18-20" barrel, non stainless with a hbar contour. It will be used mainly for fun and plinking, but I do have some local farmers who are wanting me to shoot some coyotes on their farm, so it'll be used for that too. My question is this: what is a barrel that will get me shooting moa from a bench in 18-20" length with a hbar contour that also won't break the bank. I'm wanting to wait till after Christmas, so that my budget will be more. However, I am wanting to keep the price as low as possible because I also want to purchase a heavy barreled 308 soon too. Are there any good options out there for a barrel that meets my requirements for around $200...give or take 50 bucks or so...? I have a feeling I may be asking for too much, and if so point me in a good direction of a good barrel...please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Only MOA !! How about you pull the hand guard you have now and let use know what make it is along with the twist. maybe a photo . I use a 16" Criterion , mid weight hybrid mid length gas system and a chrome air gauged bore with a 223 wylde chamber It will shoot sub moa with wolf gold 55gr ammo and a good scope I use for testing . Swap to a federal 223 69gr nation match ammo and groups drop to 5/8 inch 5 shot groups.

Heres the brand brand I used . The 18" can be is a rifle length system and the hbar profile you want I like the lighter hrbrid profile myself

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx

Kreiger owns Criterion and is a button rifled barrel . Can be found in SS and corbon steel . Good enough to long rang matchs in many rifle design . Spend a few minutes do some google searchs

FULTON ARMORY has the best selection too. http://www.fulton-armory.com/ar-15-barrels.aspx

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Only MOA !! How about you pull the hand guard you have now and let use know what make it is along with the twist. maybe a photo . I use a 16" Criterion , mid weight hybrid mid length gas system and a chrome air gauged bore with a 223 wylde chamber It will shoot sub moa with wolf gold 55gr ammo and a good scope I use for testing . Swap to a federal 223 69gr nation match ammo and groups drop to 5/8 inch 5 shot groups.

Heres the brand brand I used . The 18" can be is a rifle length system and the hbar profile you want I like the lighter hrbrid profile myself

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx

Kreiger owns Criterion and is a button rifled barrel . Can be found in SS and corbon steel . Good enough to long rang matchs in many rifle design . Spend a few minutes do some google searchs
Sorry, the barrel is a ptac barrel. Its bigger than the hbar barrel, but I wouldn't really call it a bull barrel. I'll post a pic as well, but as of now I have a removable carry handle on it. I think the only picture I have has a red dot on it. The barrel twist is 1/7...I was thinking I'd like a 1/8 twist rate...
File Type: jpg IMG_20141122_172549_601.jpg (29.3 KB, 70 views)

Old 12-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #4

And I have googled and googled and googled until I can't Google no more. :-) I decided to ask live people than to keep googling. :-) thanks for all the help you've given and any more help that may come my way.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #5

I am also getting away from the collapsible stock. I want an a2 fixed on there. I have someone giving me a stripped upper, so I am going to put this barrel on it and build up a plinking gun. Just wanting a decent longerish range coyote semi auto.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I know that FN is now selling to public, DPMS may have what you need. Their barrels are high quality for accuracy(non-lined), but don't know what profiles they have as it's been quite awhile since I've looked. Green Mountain, BCM, White Oak, Shilen may also have something, not knowing what/where you've looked.

US Air Force 73-77
57th Munitions Maintenance Squadron F4 Phantom
Nellis AFB, Nevada
Life Member of NRA

Old 12-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Hey Bud, take a look at one of these. I have one in 16" and it is a hell of a lot more accurate than me.

http://www.surplusammo.com/blackhole-weaponry-ar-15-18-rifle-length-stainless-steel-5-56-1-8-poly-barrel/

Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The one PTAC example I have handled was not super impressive however it shot ok on 100 yard targets with GI ammo. Have you wrung out the SS barrel to see if it has any potential? At least you would know how it will perform if built into another rifle.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

At this point from the bench and a lead sled I'm getting over an inch at 60 yards so it'll make a fun gun for the kiddos to learn on, but won't meet my criteria for making an "ultra pro hunting sniping one million yard coyote killer". But, for the kids to waste my hard earned money on ammo on, it'll work out splendid! :-)

Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #10

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Over an inch at 60 yards ? I see that others have Pitched a fit with PSA and have got'n exchanges for FN uppers less bolts . Might be worth a try. Still mill spec so can't expect great accuracy but should a ragged holer with a better barrel. My 9 years old grand son sat down at my ar a while back for the first time and proceeded to shoot a 5/8" group at 50 yards off only a front rifle rest first time out and had his dad and me looking at each other in amassment . Good crisp trigger and a criterion barrel with wolf gold ammo .