Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help, Can't decide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help, Can't decide!

Hey guy's, first up, I'm not very knowledgeable when it come's to picking between different AR15's, and just now really getting into the gun scene, but here lately I have really been thinking about buying an AR15. My cousin's Dad passed away and left him with a very nice ar15 Colt Sporter Hbar. It's been in the family for a few years now and I have no clue how old it is. Just recently I put 40 PMC round's through it and all I can say is wow, this Gun is very fun to shoot. I have never been in the market to buy an AR15 up until now.

I went to a Gun shop today and looked at a few ar15 brands and really looking into getting the Smith&Wesson M&P15 PSX.w/16" Barrel. It's brand new and retail's for over $1,499.99 new. There asking $1,060.00. I'm about to jump on this but have noticed Bushmaster, and Panther's nice AR15's as well.

Will the S&M PSX be a good gun to spend the $ on or should I turn to another company? I'm not going to be afraid of spending a few grand, I will also be getting a scope.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I'll beat everyone to it.

First, buy the M&P, thats a great price for a great gun, especially if that is the style AR you want. If you wanted to, you could save some money and build the gun yourself. You're looking at around $800 to build a quality AR, but out of the box $1000 is great. It really doesn't matter either way though. AR's are an addiction and I guarantee this will not be your only purchase. You will soon have a collection.

Secondly, drop by introductions and let us know a little bit about yourself.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Well I'll beat everyone to it.

First, buy the M&P, thats a great price for a great gun, especially if that is the style AR you want. If you wanted to, you could save some money and build the gun yourself. You're looking at around $800 to build a quality AR, but out of the box $1000 is great. It really doesn't matter either way though. AR's are an addiction and I guarantee this will not be your only purchase. You will soon have a collection.

Secondly, drop by introductions and let us know a little bit about yourself.

Yeah I was really buying the gun for the aggressive look's and the more tactical weapon usage. I will be doing more target shooting on the 75acre's of land we have with a few friend's and my step Dad, he's really getting into shooting on the weekend's.

Can anyone post a link or any recommendation's on a scope and mount I should go with on the m&p? I will do more shooting around 50-100 yard's more than anything. I talked with a guy today about the accuracy range and he said this psx will shoot great up to 600yards...wow?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Let me steer you towards one of our vendors. He has an excellent price for what appears to be a very nice rifle, leaves a lot of money left for optics and ammo. Check this Thread: LINK. Just Sharing.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If it were me Id go w/ a BCM 16" midlength upper w/ bolt carrier group. Then order one of their lowers. Slap on a Magpul MOE hand guard and youd have a really nice top shelf rifle. Best part you're only looking at $844.

A red dot will put you on paper just fine at 100.

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-08-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaArmzz View Post
Yeah I was really buying the gun for the aggressive look's and the more tactical weapon usage. I will be doing more target shooting on the 75acre's of land we have with a few friend's and my step Dad, he's really getting into shooting on the weekend's.

Can anyone post a link or any recommendation's on a scope and mount I should go with on the m&p? I will do more shooting around 50-100 yard's more than anything. I talked with a guy today about the accuracy range and he said this psx will shoot great up to 600yards...wow?
In that range a red dot would be fine
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me