Help building a M4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Help building a M4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help building a M4

Looking to build a good but cheap M4. Anybody know good place to get parts and if all parts are interchangeable or I have to stick to one brand? Any and all help is wanted.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschnelting21 View Post
Looking to build a good but cheap M4. Anybody know good place to get parts and if all parts are interchangeable or I have to stick to one brand? Any and all help is wanted.
what is your budget? 'cheap' to me usually implies poor quality at a get what you pay for price. do all the parts have to come from the same place?

and let me save 2-3 members the trouble of having to tell you all about Palmetto State Armory. We have several sales reps for the company working here I believe lol. They seem to have some good deals, although I see 'temporarily out of stock' way too often for my low patience level. be sure to checkout armslist parts section as well.

make sure you check out the sticky section in the AR15 area of this site. a good place to start

Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Try looking at Colt, and copy theirs. I hear from some that they are the Gold standard. Good luck with the "Cheap" part.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2323 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 841

Yep... all the parts are interchangeable. Check out this stickies on building an AR. There's a lot of very helpful info in there.

When I built mine, I found good parts in some unusual places. Daniel Defense gets a lot of support from the die-hard AR enthusiasts on here. I picked up a DD lower parts kit from Amazon of all places. Picked up my Stag stripped lower from a LGS. Picked up my upper directly from Palmetto State Armory. The Magpul stock I got off eBay. I think I got the pistol grip off eBay as well.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
what is your budget? 'cheap' to me usually implies poor quality at a get what you pay for price. do all the parts have to come from the same place?

and let me save 2-3 members the trouble of having to tell you all about Palmetto State Armory. We have several sales reps for the company working here I believe lol. They seem to have some good deals, although I see 'temporarily out of stock' way too often for my low patience level. be sure to checkout armslist parts section as well.

make sure you check out the sticky section in the AR15 area of this site. a good place to start
I dont get you . For a person that purchased their first AR just a few months ago and ended up with something that they werent really looking for. " I remember this discussion like yesterday " . You think that when people bring up PSA we all work for them? This guy asks for a cheap yet high quality AR and PSA will pop up every time. Why ? Because thats exactly what you get . Parts being out of stock all the time ? I dont see ANY other place selling quality LPKs for $39 . Complete rifle build kits for $499 . Complete MOE lowers for $179 . Thats why they sell out like they do and are out of stock regularly . They are Daily deals . You wait to long and youll have to wait til next time. Dont get me wrong I dont claim PSA is the best out there. I own many different brands and to be honest there isnt a nickels worth of difference between any of them as far as accuracy or quality as far as im concerned . Spikes, s&w , psa, colt, stag, delton , rra , dpms, daniel defense, bcm , r guns, bushmaster, lmt are just a few I have had my hands around and shot and the only difference I noticed is some of them had smoother triggers than others and their different outter wear like hand guards, stocks barrel profiles ,etc . To the OP you can put together a $550 quality AR if your not in a hurry . Dont push to be in a hurry and make a decision that costs you more money that you could have used on parts that you like or want , optics or ammo. As far as the lowers go, pick the roll mark you like best and go with it .
I see people that do this all the time . They over spend on a basic rifle that they could have bought for hundreds less and then dont have the money for optics, mags or ammo

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3081 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 377

I will probably get jumped on for this, but so be it: the M-4 is a selective fire weapon that is only available to military & Law enforcement.
I assume therefore, we are discussing a commercial semi auto AR-15 variant.

Flame away

That said:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
That's what I had assumed.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I dont get you . For a person that purchased their first AR just a few months ago and ended up with something that they werent really looking for. " I remember this discussion like yesterday " . You think that when people bring up PSA we all work for them? This guy asks for a cheap yet high quality AR and PSA will pop up every time. Why ? Because thats exactly what you get . Parts being out of stock all the time ? I dont see ANY other place selling quality LPKs for $39 . Complete rifle build kits for $499 . Complete MOE lowers for $179 . Thats why they sell out like they do and are out of stock regularly . They are Daily deals . You wait to long and youll have to wait til next time. Dont get me wrong I dont claim PSA is the best out there. I own many different brands and to be honest there isnt a nickels worth of difference between any of them as far as accuracy or quality as far as im concerned . Spikes, s&w , psa, colt, stag, delton , rra , dpms, daniel defense, bcm , r guns, bushmaster, lmt are just a few I have had my hands around and shot and the only difference I noticed is some of them had smoother triggers than others and their different outter wear like hand guards, stocks barrel profiles ,etc . To the OP you can put together a $550 quality AR if your not in a hurry . Dont push to be in a hurry and make a decision that costs you more money that you could have used on parts that you like or want , optics or ammo. As far as the lowers go, pick the roll mark you like best and go with it . I see people that do this all the time . They over spend on a basic rifle that they could have bought for hundreds less and then dont have the money for optics, mags or ammo
Oh good lord. You do like to get after people, don't you. Talk about starting stuff for no reason. I've got better things to do today than explain myself to a stranger with his judgement hat on! Plus your rant completely buries what you are trying to tell the OP.

By the way I ended up getting JUST what I wanted in the end. Unfortunately for you, my decision process was not to your liking, or something like that. Strange what people choose to get upset about and remember.....

To quote Warren Oates from 'Stripes':

image-2714495745.jpg

Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I will probably get jumped on for this, but so be it: the M-4 is a selective fire weapon that is only available to military & Law enforcement.

Flame away

That said:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/
They also have a sub-16" barrel so either sbr paperwork or a pinned and welded flash hider is required for a 14.5-7" barrel.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Palmetto State Armory has the best deals around had friends build quality rifles from there website for about $650 after shipping and transfer fees.

The specs of my friends rifles are on point with rifles that are twice that price.

You wont be able buy an AR off a shelf for same price that's the same quality of rifle.

My 2¢

Work Hard Play Hard